The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Pros/cons of Keele University

Hi there!

Newbie here! I have firmed Keele University and I would live to hear your opinions on Keele's...

English Literature course
Accommodation (Hawthorns in particular)
Night life
Student union
Making friends

I do English Literature. Just finished my first year and going into my second in September :smile:

general pros of Keele:
- beautiful campus, quite large but still easy to commute in, halls are all very accessible and fairly close to one another (exception is Hawthorns. It's not quite off the beaten track but it's further than the rest)

- living in Hawthorns you get free on-campus travel so you can hop on a bus when it's raining if you like

- a lot of Hawthorns has recently been revamped and there's a little shop and bar

- night life in Castle and Hanley is okay, they have Carnage three times in the academic year and there's always student nights and offers on. There's a good amount of clubs in Hanley and a few in Castle too

- student union is useful during the day, there's a post office, shop, cafe, restaurant inside along with various ents offices like ticket management etc. At night there's big nights on 4/5 times a week with the student night being Monday (£1 pint and spirit mixer). The drinks in the union are pretty cheap on other nights anyway. Monday is always packed and Wednesday and Friday are also full, it's always a laugh and depending on your taste you usually get good music played (but it depends what ents rep is on, some years you apparently get a really ****ty one)

- making friends is what you make it. In my experience Keelites are mega friendly and willing to help if you get lost or whatever, but if you're a shy person you're gonna have to push yourself out of your comfort zone to make friends. Make sure you get in there early or you risk being classed as quiet or boring and not asked out for the rest of the year. Don't let that scare you - you'll find your own group of friends in time, but to make sure you're not on your own for the first few weeks just try your best to come out of your shell and fit in. If you like partying and drinking, you'll fit in fantastically for freshers week. Just don't go over the top. You'll also make friends on your course when it does start.

- The English course is great! I love it, however there's an absolute tonne of reading. No exaggeration. If you're not committed, you're gonna go under. In the first semester I was reading 3 200-300 page books per week and then some for some modules. Again, don't let it put you off. You've just got to get it down and be prepared to work hard and you'll be fine.

general cons of Keele:

- Hawthorns is a fair walk away after the union. There is a safety bus that takes you back, but you'll have to wait a while

- Typical LADS can be LADS on the dancefloor at uni. It happens everywhere. Just tell them piss off and call security if you get one too many hands on your bum.

- Nightlife in Castle is a bit abysmal. You've got everything you need at the union to be honest.

- As mentioned the English course reading is a bit of a drag. However you've got barely any contact hours, so you've got a tonne of time to do it in.

- Some Hawthorns accommodation is dated.

Don't forget to join KRAP when you get to Keele! It's amazing and so much fun!
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
I go to Keele, just finished my first year in medicine.

I agree with everything Kate113855 says.

The campus is beautiful, a walk around the campus on a sunny day is lovely. Plus everyone sits on Keele Hall Lawn or is playing sports on the fields.

The Union is really good actually, numerous bars inside and when you are with all your mates you have a right laugh. Drinking games in the Bubble is standard. I has some amazing nights in the union and some great memories. In freshers week they really make you feel welcome and you go out with all your block where you live and meet tons of new people.

There are loads of sports clubs and societies to join to, they have all their socials on a Wednesday night.

I cannot comment on your accomodation really but it is not to far away. You are not away from the action at all.

Making friends was so easy too, the RSA's (Residential Support Officers) are there and help you settle in. I ended up going on the piss with ours on are first night. It got very messy. If you join all the clubs you will meet a load of new people and will be great friends with the. You will also make lots of friends on your course too. So,me of my best friends are medics although I have many friends else where which is nice as everyone is interesting and has a different story.

I am a LAD, prob true what she said so on LADS behalf I do apologies.

Quick Reply

Latest