The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Abortion is worse than pedophilia

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by WitnessMO
Most women abort the fetus under 12 weeks. Then's it's just a ball of cells without any feelings, memories and emotions. However a child if molested will feel hurt and remember this evil, potentially causing repercussions and trauma in the future

Reply 21
Original post by sk900
Abortion is worse than pedophilia.

While, I do support abortion to an extend, I hate the casual attitude abortion has these days. I hate the way women think it is some kind of a "right" they are born with.

"The two share much in common. They are both highly self-centred acts lacking in all compassion for the innocent. They both serve the purely selfish desires of the individual. They both involve defenceless children. They are both acts of extraordinary depravity. And they are both irreversible."

You don't have a "right" to do this...

I'm going to discuss each bold quote in turn.

Yes. Women are born with the right to decide what to do with their own bodies.

Can you seriously not think of a good reason to abort a child? What if the woman is raped? Why should she want to give birth to an raise a child which she never wanted, with someone who attacked her in the most despicable way.

Defenceless children are not involved in the process of abortion. The child is not alive until it is born. Also, abortion is legally allowed after the pregnancy has progressed to a stage where there is a chance the child could live.

The fact that paedophilia and abortion are irreversible is completely irrelevant. Every action you take is irreversible. Think about it: you pick up a can on a shelf, and put it down. You have never held it before now. You cannot reverse having held the can at some point in your life. Perhaps a little convoluted but I think the point gets across.

Grow up, OP.
Reply 22
Original post by sk900

While, I do support abortion to an extend, I hate the casual attitude abortion has these days. I hate the way women think it is some kind of a "right" they are born with.

"The two share much in common. They are both highly self-centred acts lacking in all compassion for the innocent. They both serve the purely selfish desires of the individual. They both involve defenceless children. They are both acts of extraordinary depravity. And they are both irreversible."

"children" :biggrin::biggrin:
It's called a fetus, you moron.
I don't like abortion but that is insulting to anyone who has ever suffered child abuse
Abortion in countries with an ageing dying population should be banned except if an abortion is needed to safe the woman's life. It's politically correct murder and genocide we've been groomed into thinking it's acceptable. They can call anything "progressive" and "women's rights" and people will eat it up.
No you're mistaking pedophilia for child molestation. Pedophilia is simply a preference for prepubescent traits. http://egomoral.com/american-pedophile/
But there is nothing wrong with pedophillia, so abortain certainly isn't better than it, they are both neutral.
Reply 27
I think there is a huge difference between the two and comparing them in such a black and white manner really is very difficult.
For a start, it is possible to live with pedophilia without acting on pedophilic tendencies and urges, I'm not sure the same can be said for an unwanted pregnancy?
Acting on pedophilic desires is also illegal and very detrimental to the victim. Having an abortion isn't illegal in the UK and at 12 weeks, it doesn't actually concern a sentient child, merely a group of cells. However, not having an abortion and bringing a child into the world that the mother can't support/doesn't want/cannot cope with will have a major impact on that baby's upbringing. Surely by that grace, abortion isn't necessarily "worse"?

I just think comparing the two makes little sense really?
Original post by sk900

Actually yes women do have a right to choose what happens to their body. Abortion would not be allowed if it harmed the foetus, doctors agree that the foetus does not feel anything. Paedophilia is disgusting, you cannot compare the two on any level.
Original post by james22
But there is nothing wrong with pedophillia, so abortain certainly isn't better than it, they are both neutral.

Is this a joke??
So let's say someone has a genetic disease and will spend the rest of his mentally retarded with poor life expectancy or someone is to be born without a leg and a hand. Would you really subject them to the cruelty of life and agonizing pain or would you rather go with an abortion
Killing a bunch of cells is worse than raping a child?

Hell killing a grown adult isn't even worse than raping a child.

Unless you are arguing its worse than simply having an attraction to children but not acting on it, but then I'm pretty sure most people who have those feelings would rather have been aborted.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheAnusFiles
I don't like abortion but that is insulting to anyone who has ever suffered child abuse

Agreed.
Original post by VannR
I'm going to discuss each bold quote in turn.

Yes. Women are born with the right to decide what to do with their own bodies.

Can you seriously not think of a good reason to abort a child? What if the woman is raped? Why should she want to give birth to an raise a child which she never wanted, with someone who attacked her in the most despicable way.

Defenceless children are not involved in the process of abortion. The child is not alive until it is born. Also, abortion is legally allowed after the pregnancy has progressed to a stage where there is a chance the child could live.

The fact that paedophilia and abortion are irreversible is completely irrelevant. Every action you take is irreversible. Think about it: you pick up a can on a shelf, and put it down. You have never held it before now. You cannot reverse having held the can at some point in your life. Perhaps a little convoluted but I think the point gets across.

Grow up, OP.

Well said. TSR is now so full of idiots like OP that sometimes I doubt if its even worth teaching them to think rationally.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Eboracum
Abortion is a right that women are born with. I've never understood the tremendous hypocrisy of right wing "libertarian" parties (looking at you GOP) who want maximum freedoms, but want to tell women what they can and can't do to their own bodies.

There is no hypocrisy, because you clearly haven't even bothered to see the issue through their eyes. By framing it as an issue of woman's right to do with her body as she wishes, it is clear that you do not understand the anti-abortion position on a fundamental level.

They are against abortion, because in their view the fetus is a genuine member of the human race and thus a human being, therefore a subject of human rights. To them, abortion is nothing more than a license to kill inconvenient human beings.

Keep in mind, that libertarians value the non-aggression principle and the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. If you believe that the fetus is a human being, then abortion is completely irreconcilable with libertarian values.

I believe life begins at birth, until then, an unborn child has no rights. All the rights are with the Mother, including the right to choose. The 24 week legislation is just a practical solution to a difficult moral question. 24 weeks because on average that is when the chances of an unborn child surviving without the Mother becomes more than 50%.

And they believe that the right to life begins at conception, ergo the unborn child HAS rights. Conception, as a starting point, makes more sense as that is the moment, when a new developing member of the Homo Sapien species with its own unique DNA and who will go through all stages of human development will come into being. Birth is far more arbitrary and relies on the magic of the vaginal canal - no psychological nor physiological changes to the baby happen during birth.

This position also creates other problems. For example, if the unborn child has no rights, then the mother is free to smoke, do drugs and other activities that harm the fetus. If the child is later born handicapped, then too bad. If the fetus has no right to life, it clearly doesn't have the right to not be harmed.

Abortion has to be for casual pregnancies. The reality is that over 50% of teenage pregnancies result in abortion. Now would that not be the case, you'd see a number of young children funded from cradle to grave by Tommy Taxpayer, as lets face it (and not to get too Daily Mail) many of the people that have children as teenagers are these kinds.

You gotta blame lax sexual morals and the sexual revolution for that. People used to be more restrained and had children only after they married and had a family. The culture these days is far more animalistic when it comes to sex and people let themselves be driven by instinct, rather then subdue their urges to disciplined intellectual control.

Abortion is a moral right for the woman, but it's also a good solution to a practical problem.

In your view. In the view of others, it's a great injustice and an insult to basic moral intuitions, where someone's convenience outweighs an entire lifetime of experiences.
Abortion is not worse that pedophilia.
Original post by AeTheCrash
First of all pedophila is not a choice, its a disease, a mental disorder, abortion however is an action

It definitely is a choice. A Paedophile may be afflicted with feeling attracted to children but they have the ability to not act on those feelings. Would you give the same excuse to rapists?

Here's a clear distinction: Abortion is legal, and so it should be. Paedophilia is illegal, and so it should be.
Original post by student613
Is this a joke??

No, can you tell me what is bad about pedophillia?
completely disagree you haven't thought about the reasons why a woman would want to get an abortion and instead you just assume they take the decision lightly / see it as an alternative to contraception .
Original post by hello101010
ITT: people who don't know what paedophilia is

I reached my limit for reps today apparently. It's the thought that counts.

Latest

Trending

Trending