The Student Room Group

Anyone else dreading the first week of uni (the friends making stage)??

Scroll to see replies

a bit yeah :scared:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GoingToBurst
The best thing I did before starting uni was join the freshers group on facebook for my uni and find people on my course. Then we all had a big group chat going, found some friends in that group chat and my those people have been my main group of friends ever since. I'm not sure how easily I would've made friends had I not chatted to them the entire summer before considering I don't live at uni, so it really helped me out. I made loads of other friends on other courses that way too. Then that gets the ball rolling because you can introduce them to other people you meet and they can introduce you to other people they meet etc.

It would seem that everyone in the thread that's nervous about it has ignored the best advice. Saying 'don't worry' is pretty crap and useless and speaking from experience, while it's fairly easy just to talk to random people, it's difficult forging friendships with people with whom you have nothing in common.
a) find people online, people who will be on your course, people who will be in your accommodation
b) don't put too much pressure on fresher's week as while it's the time a lot of people establish their friendship groups, it's not the only opportunity to make friends
Original post by BOB2014
I can be really shy when meeting people so i'm scared i'll end up with no friends in my first year :/

You'll be fine - just smile :smile: Remember to that you're not alone in your fears, a lot of your peers will also feel that way.

I met my best friend on the first night of Fresher's week. In the very romantic location of the Birmingham Walkabout ladies loos, I'd initially spotted her across the dance floor - it was love at first sight :love:

And do you what it was about her that I liked.... her smile. 10 years on and we're still the best of friends.

I also met lovely people through my halls, water polo, working at the SU and volunteering. I did history so didn't have lots of contact time, I still met some great people though.

Good luck :biggrin:

If you want to try and "meet" beforehand check out the uni forums -the applicant and and accommodation threads are a great way to connect with your fellow freshers before the big week commences
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by james1211
How does what work?

You said basically you can't make friends in a week.... So how does making friends work then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending