The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

heeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!!!!!! ASAP

helloooooooooo i am losing sleep over this mate! ok basically i'm in clearing now oh joy and am down for history of art at leeds, spoke to the admissions tutor she sounded v enthusiastic which is always good, and the website made the course sound really interesting. anyone know anything bout the dept itself, the building, lecturers,workload etc? on the other hand i've never ever eveeeer been to leeds before so don't have a clue what its like? am a city girl so i love the hustle bustle of london but i also love greenness of er green areas?! i don't have guaranteed accomm and will only be told after 11th sept where i'll be and don't particularly wana be spending my first yr 4 miles away from the campus! also i've looked at the accomm on the website and they jus seem really crap compared to nottinghams no offence i'm sure they are lovely tho hahaha, i'm also down for philosophy at nottingham i absolutely love notts and would be guaranteed my first choice accomm, and i love the campus and how each residential accomm has a bar and shops they all have balls and parties every month just as an accomm and they seem to have such a community spirit where everyone knows everyone, whereas i'm gettin the feelin at leeds ur basically close with ur flatmates and people on ur course and u all go down town together n get v drunk n hav lotsa fun but thats it. obviously its what u make of it- am a v sociable person so i love makin friends so i know i'll have fun wherever but the 'community' thing is still pretty important to me BUT i'm not so keen on the philosophy as i am on the hist of art. oh and does leeds even have balls/formals?! been lookin at their freshers fortnight it seems basically everyone jus goes to a nightclub every night whereas notts has something planned every night PLUS ITS FREE yeeea, not that this should be affectin my decision whatsoever haha. and what bout societies etc? i don't have a flyin poo what i wanna do as a career so neither degree is particularly relevant, philo at notts a bit more reputable than hist of art at leeds but thats it.

oh and being a lovely southerner used to warmer climates, whats the weather like in leeds?!

oh jebus i jus read this through again and i sound like such a shallow git lol anywayyyy absolutely anything you have to say would be welcomed, i hafta make the decision by tonight and its drivin me crazy! thank yooooooou!
There's a fresher's ball in the first month. Oh, and compared to Notts, I love Leeds. The "community" thing - I don't see how it's any better at another big uni, Nottingham is fairly similar to Leeds really. Also, not all of Nottingham's accomodations are amazing, just like not all of Leeds' are crap.

It sounds like you're leaning towards Nottingham but remember that behind all the alcohol there is actually a degree involved, so if you think you'll enjoy Art more or be better at it, you should probably choose that.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
I went to nottingham and did philosophy - its not all about reputation. I left it for leeds, says a lot.

Nottinghams accom is greener if ur on campus, otherwise its still city based and grey.

bottom line = i left nottingham and a reputavble uni for leeds and a course i enjoy. just do what you enjoy or you're not going to last.
Reply 3
It sounds like you want to go to Notts tbh.
I hate reading huge chunks of text like in post 1. Use the enter key more!
Reply 5
Fleece
I went to nottingham and did philosophy - its not all about reputation. I left it for leeds, says a lot.

bottom line = i left nottingham and a reputavble uni for leeds and a course i enjoy. just do what you enjoy or you're not going to last.

what did you think of the course and what made you leave it? thing is cos i've never checked the place out or the lecturers themselves at either uni i don't really know what to expect or what i'll enjoy more. i love art but then again i quite like philo too ahhh

Latest