The Student Room Group

K100 Architecture 2015 entry (UCL Bartlett)

Hi, I'm currently studying 2 Alevels and an extended diploma in Engineering Btec. I am wondering if UCL's Bartlett would accept me even though it don't do 3 Alevels. Their entry requirements are AAB, I'll hopefully get AA and DDD for my Btec. Do you think UCL will consider this? Has anyone faced this issue before? And they also expect Art which I don't do I do design. I have heard that they will decide through the quality of portfolio? I am preparing my portfolio at the moment.

What are your thoughts about this.
Thank you so much in advance, advice is greatly appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DANGODANGO
Hi, I'm currently studying 2 Alevels and an extended diploma in Engineering Btec. I am wondering if UCL's Bartlett would accept me even though it don't do 3 Alevels. Their entry requirements are AAB, I'll hopefully get AA and DDD for my Btec. Do you think UCL will consider this? Has anyone faced this issue before? And they also expect Art which I don't do I do design. I have heard that they will decide through the quality of portfolio? I am preparing my portfolio at the moment.

I've been to a few Barlett talks and they're very very steadfast on their applicants doing art, and not really design. I remember them recommending that if you don't do art at A-level or equivalent to take a foundation course in it.
Hope that helps.
Original post by antistudent
I've been to a few Barlett talks and they're very very steadfast on their applicants doing art, and not really design. I remember them recommending that if you don't do art at A-level or equivalent to take a foundation course in it.
Hope that helps.

If I do send my application to them do you think they'll ask me for my portfolio and then make a decision or is it like.. you don't do art, we're not considering this?

It did help, thank you :biggrin:
Original post by DANGO.DANGO
If I do send my application to them do you think they'll ask me for my portfolio and then make a decision or is it like.. you don't do art, we're not considering this?

It did help, thank you :biggrin:

I'll be honest, the impression I got from one of the staff there was that it was quite unlikely that they'll consider somebody who doesn't do art, especially since it even says on their site that art is required. I even remember one girl asking if design was ok but this was shot down.

I don't know if you've visited the site yet, but it says:

"Art required. A portfolio is required at interview stage. Art required. A portfolio is required at interview stage. Applicants who meet the A level grade requirements of AAB but have not studied A level Art, may offer an art and design foundation year as proof of their ability."
I'll be honest, the impression I got from one of the staff there was that it was quite unlikely that they'll consider somebody who doesn't do art, especially since it even says on their site that art is required. I even remember one girl asking if design was ok but this was shot down.

I don't know if you've visited the site yet, but it says:

"Art required. A portfolio is required at interview stage. Art required. A portfolio is required at interview stage. Applicants who meet the A level grade requirements of AAB but have not studied A level Art, may offer an art and design foundation year as proof of their ability."

My heart is set there, I really wanted to go there :frown: I guess I made a mistake doing a Btec..

Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate it very much :smile:
My heart is set there, I really wanted to go there :frown: I guess I made a mistake doing a Btec..

Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate it very much :smile:

Sorry to hear that :/ remember you can always do a foundation course! They love that apparently, that and gap year students (so I've been told).

Where else were you thinking of applying to?
Sorry to hear that :/ remember you can always do a foundation course! They love that apparently, that and gap year students (so I've been told).

Where else were you thinking of applying to?

Yeah I was thinking about a foundation year before and I actually love to only do a practical study on one subject like Art cuz I love Art!! :grin:
I've been to a couple open days and loved Sheffield and Oxford Brookes
Yeah I was thinking about a foundation year before and I actually love to only do a practical study on one subject like Art cuz I love Art!! :grin:
I've been to a couple open days and loved Sheffield and Oxford Brookes

Yeah Sheffield does a lot of model making apparently and I've been told that at Brookes the units are taught in a similar way to the ones at the bartlett
Yeah Sheffield does a lot of model making apparently and I've been told that at Brookes the units are taught in a similar way to the ones at the bartlett

Thats good :biggrin: maths and the science aren't my strongest points. I'm working on my portfolio now have no clue what to include, I think I got about 4 drawings haha
I was a bit put off by the fact that it's a BSc, however I'm going to do art foundation this year and hopefully that will increase my chance of getting in XD The only thing that concerns me is that I don't have any science/maths A-level :frown: would they make a big deal out of that ?
Original post by Indiestreet
I was a bit put off by the fact that it's a BSc, however I'm going to do art foundation this year and hopefully that will increase my chance of getting in XD The only thing that concerns me is that I don't have any science/maths A-level :frown: would they make a big deal out of that ?

I thought that very same thing too but a lot of people told me it's a creative course with emphasis on drawing and stuff :biggrin: I feel like doing a foundation year next year too but havn't quite made up my mind :frown: I dont think they care what alevel subjects you've studied as long as you got the art (which I lack and hate myself for not doing it) where you planning to do your foundation?
I thought that very same thing too but a lot of people told me it's a creative course with emphasis on drawing and stuff :biggrin: I feel like doing a foundation year next year too but havn't quite made up my mind :frown: I dont think they care what alevel subjects you've studied as long as you got the art (which I lack and hate myself for not doing it) where you planning to do your foundation?

Ahhh, well that's good for me then XD I'm starting my foundation at the Arts University Bournemouth next week and I'm so thrilled about applying for degree !!!!! it's not even that's far away
Ahhh, well that's good for me then XD I'm starting my foundation at the Arts University Bournemouth next week and I'm so thrilled about applying for degree !!!!! it's not even that's far away

I guess I have to wait and see what I get in my A2 next year, just out of interest how did you perform in your Alevels? :colondollar:
I guess I have to wait and see what I get in my A2 next year, just out of interest how did you perform in your Alevels? :colondollar:

I got A*A*B in 3D design, Graphics and Travel and tourism(3 marks of an A!)

I'm considering improving some modules of my coursework in Travel this year as well, so that I could achieve A*A*A overall but that means I'd have to wait for the new set of results to come out next June!
I got A*A*B in 3D design, Graphics and Travel and tourism(3 marks of an A!)

I'm considering improving some modules of my coursework in Travel this year as well, so that I could achieve A*A*A overall but that means I'd have to wait for the new set of results to come out next June!

That's an amazing achievement :biggrin: I'm sure you'll do well
Good luck next week!
That's an amazing achievement :biggrin: I'm sure you'll do well
Good luck next week!

Thank you and hope you'll do well this year as well :smile:
The Bartlett are stuck back in the past, its CAD orientated students that are in demand these days, not Art and few if any students are orientated towards both. All you get with the Bartlett is a name, but in reality in architecture practices being able to knock out drawings as quickly and effectively as possible is what counts.
Original post by Stewie2011
The Bartlett are stuck back in the past, its CAD orientated students that are in demand these days, not Art and few if any students are orientated towards both. All you get with the Bartlett is a name, but in reality in architecture practices being able to knock out drawings as quickly and effectively as possible is what counts.

You're crazy. In the final shows The Bartlett have consistently demonstrated the best CAD ability for the past number of years, regardless of how silly and faux-intellectual nonsense their projects are.
Reply 18
Original post by DANGODANGO

Hi, I applied to UCL for Architecture last year and before they even look at your personal statement (and your courses) they send a letter asking you to complete a spontaneous response to a creative task. On this principle, if you wow them enough with your creative response, and show them you are artistically capable, the fact you don't take an art subject should be irrelevant - If they can tell you've got the skills needed, why would they reject you!?
That said, how they perceive your creative task is probably the hardest thing to judge, and it is extremely competitive! (I got rejected due to the quality of my response and I got told I was capable of starting A-level art whilst studying for my GCSEs).
I'd recommend looking for some previous task entries online, and paying particular attention to the mediums you use whilst also highlighting your ability to experiment.
Your portfolio is definitely the least of your worries until you have passed this barrier - only 400 proceed through this, with 100 being chosen to study at the Bartlett. Right now I would say you should concentrate your efforts on reading to strengthen your personal statement, and practicing your artistic skills so you're ready for the task.

http://www.bartlett.ucl.ac.uk/architecture/programmes/undergraduate/bsc-architecture (if you scroll down and click on 'Applying' on the left there's a brief explanation about the process)

Hope that helped :smile:
Original post by SMH95
Hi, I applied to UCL for Architecture last year and before they even look at your personal statement (and your courses) they send a letter asking you to complete a spontaneous response to a creative task. On this principle, if you wow them enough with your creative response, and show them you are artistically capable, the fact you don't take an art subject should be irrelevant - If they can tell you've got the skills needed, why would they reject you!?
That said, how they perceive your creative task is probably the hardest thing to judge, and it is extremely competitive! (I got rejected due to the quality of my response and I got told I was capable of starting A-level art whilst studying for my GCSEs).
I'd recommend looking for some previous task entries online, and paying particular attention to the mediums you use whilst also highlighting your ability to experiment.
Your portfolio is definitely the least of your worries until you have passed this barrier - only 400 proceed through this, with 100 being chosen to study at the Bartlett. Right now I would say you should concentrate your efforts on reading to strengthen your personal statement, and practicing your artistic skills so you're ready for the task.

http://www.bartlett.ucl.ac.uk/architecture/programmes/undergraduate/bsc-architecture (if you scroll down and click on 'Applying' on the left there's a brief explanation about the process)

Hope that helped :smile:

Thank you so much for replying :h: It seems to me that you know a lot about this.. do you know what type/style of drawings they look for in their website they say that they want to see mundane drawings. Do you think my artistic ability is to their standard? do you think I stand a chance.. please honestly I have no clue what to do :colondollar: afraid I miss the mark

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending