The Student Room Group

Annoying customers Mk II

Previous thread has hit 10k, time for a shiny new one!

Enjoy :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Gotta love the classic 'I've bought tonnes of shopping close to £200, but am in an urgent rush' customers. Had one of those yesterday. At least they did their own packing, but they paid for it all in £10 vouchers, so I had to check that each one was genuine and that took even more time.
Yay! New thread. I don't have anything to add since I've had the joy of not being at work for the last 2 months, although....

I was home over Easter and working, we have a dual lane drive thru so it gets pretty busy, and I had a customer come through and try to order, with the way the system works I have to take money before the next order or I get shouted off. Anyway, since I told this guy that I'd be with him shortly he decided to start counting the seconds in my ear while I was trying to deal with the customer at the window. I wound up taking the headset off and possibly taking a bit longer than necessary taking money...

Definitely not the most annoying customer I've had but it's late and I'm meant to be revising so it'll do for now!!
Since my original "annoying customers" thread has now got to 10k posts (so is now closed), i thought id create another one, so people could share their annoying customer stories.

Has anyone ever experienced any annoying customers?
Reply 4
Many many many! Well, I work in a library so its a little different to customers but it's still the public!

There was one man who insisted on telling me where all the information went in the computer and who ordered his wife around constantly which really bugged me.

There was the woman who told me to look something up on the computers for her when our internet was down then called me a 'stupid trainee' and an 'ignorant child' when I told her I couldn't.

There was a man who insisted on taking my pen out of my hand whilst I was using it and had a go at me when I asked for it back.

There was a group of women who changed their babies nappies in the children's library and threw them in the recycling bin and also in the box where we put books from other libraries and I had to clean them out.

And possibly the worst was one woman who had 7 library cards (which I know is not allowed) and twelve books on each card so if my maths is right, that's... 84 books and she returned them all at once and I was by myself getting all these books returned whilst she was becoming very impatient.

That's just to name a few! Despite this, it's still a great job!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
There's ten or so tills where I work, so imagine i'm on the first one and my co-worker is on the fifth one down, there's one customer on each till then two women, standing to the side of my my co-worker on say number six. I call for the next customer and they waving and start to shout there order out, I don't know if i'm more grouchy then normal but I said if they wanted to order they would have to come round as I can't hear you. They came round, said how rude I was and then wouldn't answer any of my questions "any drink for you ?" that's fine, "any sauce for your nuggets?" that's fine. We never check £1.99 vouchers dates but these two were really annoying me and luckily they were both out of date and had to pay about double :biggrin: McDonald's is not a bar we don't come to you....
I had a customer a couple of weeks ago, who was making it obvious that they were in some kind of rush to get somewhere else - so I was trying my best to speed up the process of taking the hangers off, taking the tag off the item and folding it neatly into the bag.
Despite the customer being able to see that I was really trying, they commented "chop chop" which I thought was quite rude. This made me a bit nervous and I ended up stabbing my finger with a pin off the tag, resulting in blood slowly seeping down my finger. I told the customer it was fine, I won't slow them down by going to get a plaster just get, and their reply was "Good, just make sure you don't get blood on my clothes!"

Yes, thankyou for your concern, my finger is fine :rolleyes:
Reply 7
I work at Sainsbury's. I wouldn't say it's an especially large store, but big enough. A lady came in yesterday asking if we have a pharmacy instore, so I told her that we didn't have one. Most people just ask where the nearest one is, then leave. But of course, this person had to be angry about the fact, and started ranting about how she had came in especially just to go to the pharmacy, and how disgraceful it is that a store this large doesn't have one. What did she want me to do, build her one there and then? :rolleyes: It doesn't say on the website that our store has a pharmacy, so I don't know why she was so convinced we had one.
Original post by _N_
I work at Sainsbury's. I wouldn't say it's an especially large store, but big enough. A lady came in yesterday asking if we have a pharmacy instore, so I told her that we didn't have one. Most people just ask where the nearest one is, then leave. But of course, this person had to be angry about the fact, and started ranting about how she had came in especially just to go to the pharmacy, and how disgraceful it is that a store this large doesn't have one. What did she want me to do, build her one there and then? :rolleyes: It doesn't say on the website that our store has a pharmacy, so I don't know why she was so convinced we had one.

Had a bloke yesterday who was having a go that his nectar card "never works in this store" I politely pointed out to him that he was I fact scanning his tesco club card. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
In my previous employment at a supermarket, I had a woman yell, yes yell at my face because we had run out of turkey for Christmas....

Yeah I didn't appreciate it but I was on probation so I had to remain calm and told her politely to calm down and that the night staff....
*storms away angrily*

Bitch.
Reply 10
We usually have 15%/20% offers throughout the store. This elderly couple came through my till and after I scanned everything, totaled it up and told them the price, the lady went "Nope that's wrong". I tell her it's 15% off and the till does it automatically, yet she still says it's wrong. She tells me she worked out the price herself and.... it should be 1p less. What? I was just in shock and had no idea how to reply to this, her husband who never spoke one word paid anyway - we're all in silence at this point.

I came in the next day and one of my managers asked me if I had a woman fussing over a penny, eugh that feeling when you know what's coming - I say yes. She only went to head office to complain about the price. Over a ****ing penny.
Lots of things annoying me recently. Mostly it's just how customers seem to expect things to be instantaneous, like it doesn't actually have to be made by a person; it's like one of our managers was saying yesterday-it's not star trek, it doesn't materialise!

I had a guy the other day order a double cheeseburger. It was less than a minute (literally less than 60 seconds) before he was huffing about his taxi being outside (then WTF are you doing in McDonalds when there's a queue out the door??) and then when one of the managers served him to stop him from getting any more annoyed by grabbing a spare double for him (instead of waiting the extra 30 seconds for one to come down the line), he had a moan about it being one we hadn't wanted from earlier. Aside from that it would have been there a minute or two, what he was basically saying was he wanted it freshly made on the spot, but for it not to actually take any time. :s-smilie: Of course, because don't you know we're all magic. :rolleyes:
I always get customers telling me that our website said we have an item in this store, when I explain our website doesnt say which stores stock certain items, they argue that it specifically saidthe item is stocked in this store. It clearly just says what the company stocks not each individual store!
I was that annoying customer today. I dropped a jar of lasagne sauce. :frown: :facepalm:
Original post by WeirdLittleO
I was that annoying customer today. I dropped a jar of lasagne sauce. :frown: :facepalm:

When I used to volunteer, someone had accidentally broken something. I then got the manager, partly to clean it up. The poor woman was horrified! The manager then replies "oh, I do that all then time!"
I don't go a day without a rude customer. So frustrating. Why do people think that they can act like that?
I had a guy come in yesterday who was obviously trying to do something nice for a young homeless girl and bought her some food. But he left once he had given me the money, and the second he'd gone, the girl asked me for a refund (my face-:wtf: )

If he had given her the money I would have done-I don't think you should patronise people and if they want to spend their money on alcohol or drugs then that's their stupid choice to make-but he didn't; he handed the money to me to pay for her order. So it really wasn't her money. Ended up lying and telling her I couldn't do refunds once something had gone through the till without a manager (which is somewhat true, because whilst I can-and people do-just take money out of my till without doing a proper refund, that leaves me responsible for the missing money). :redface:

I'm annoyed at the guy for putting me in that position though; he was like 'make sure that definitely goes on food'...since when was it my job to police how your charity is spent? :rolleyes:
Reply 17
I had a customer the other day that left about 10 items in the changing room. She had put them back on the hangers, but inside out!!! We ask that customers put clothes back on a rail because there is normally only one person working in the department at a time and I only found them 2 mins before we closed!!
I really do not get a day without someone making a rude remark as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm getting lots of annoying customer stories recently because I keep being put on tills (somebody must hate me...). We had a guy march up to the tills today ranting about how it was ridiculous how long he had been waiting, and demand his money back. His order was ready at that exact moment, but he even decided he didn't want it any more and he wanted the contact details for head office to complain.

We were all a bit baffled because there weren't long waiting times, but it's always possible someone gets a lost in the system, so the manager gave him a refund and after he had gone looked up how long he had been waiting -less than 2 minutes!! I know people get used to being able to walk into a McDonalds and often get the popular menu items instantaneously, but seriously, getting irate over a wait of 120 seconds is losing all sense of perspective. :s-smilie:
I whitnessed an annoying customer in tesco express a while back. Basically, a bloke had used the self service checkout. It had given him his change, but he then went to complain to the guy on tills about how he "wasnt happy with the way the machine had given him his change". Basically he didnt like the exact coins the machine had gave him and wanted different ones.

Quick Reply