The Student Room Group

Manchester obsession

It always annoys me when politicians and business leaders always speak of 'the North' but only mention Manchester.

This Manchester obsession will not improve 'the North' as a whole. It will only further deprive other northern areas outside of Manchester and create more resentment in communities. It's like the government keep repeating mistakes they made in London (as in creating a London bubble).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I agree, but they have to focus on something. They need to make a London of the North, and then move outwards. It's irritating though. I mean down south the only two major cities are London and Birmingham. The rest are pretty minor in comparison because it's weighted so heavily in favour of these two cities.

In the north, you have Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, and Newcastle. The emphasis is more evenly split economically. Manchester is the biggest of these cities, I believe, so it makes sense to prioritise Manchester first.
Reply 2
It's like they forget how big the north is. If you believed politicians you'd think 'the North' is just a small area that surrounds Manchester.

There are so many big cities up north: Sheffield, Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Bradford, Hull, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Manchester is becoming a business hub. Be honest now, at what point will most of the suits from Westminster be going anywhere other than Manchester. How often will anyone from London be going anywhere other than Manchester or Birmingham? :giggle:

I've never seen the 'obsession' you've said in practice, but to be honest I think it would be justified if it was there.
Reply 5
They often speak of the North like it is a different place within Britain completely as most of their time and energy is spent in the South East of England. There are some great cities and opportunities in the north of the country which aren't being realised due to the London eccentricity which most politicians seem to have.
Original post by Genocidal
I mean down south the only two major cities are London and Birmingham. The rest are pretty minor in comparison because it's weighted so heavily in favour of these two cities.

Birmingham is MIDLANDS not SOUTH. Please do not insult Birmingham like that.
Reply 7
I know someone from London who fails to acknowledge that Liverpool & Manchester are part of the north. Apparently we are now the north of the midlands.... what the hell. I think as the BBC has moved to Media City, they can't possibly be located in the north, so the only solution is to redraw the north boundary so they don't embarrass themselves. I think to London this is what the north looks like: HOLLYOAKS AREA, CORRIE AREA, EMMERDALE AREA & GEORDIE SHORE.
Reply 8
Original post by SiJ0NES
I know someone from London who fails to acknowledge that Liverpool & Manchester are part of the north.

I'm surprised they even acknowledge they exist.
I mean down south the only two major cities are London and Birmingham

Birmingham is in the pissing Midlands!!!

Try coming from Birmingham and you will know what a media blackout is. We don't exist according to anyone from the South or North, despite being the second biggest city in the country.
Reply 10
Original post by redferry

Try coming from Birmingham and you will know what a media blackout is. We don't exist according to anyone from the South or North, despite being the second biggest city in the country.

It's like the whole Midlands doesn't exist anymore. The majority of media coverage I see is either London or Manchester (or ****ty towns in Greater Manchester like Bolton or Oldham)

Rarely do I see Notts, Birmingham or Derby mentioned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by datpiff
It's like the whole Midlands doesn't exist anymore. The majority of media coverage I see is either London or Manchester (or ****ty towns in Greater Manchester like Bolton or Oldham)

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's more about Leeds than Birmingham!!!

Its a joke. The only time we get mentioned is pieces about HS2
Original post by TroyAndAbed
Birmingham is MIDLANDS not SOUTH. Please do not insult Birmingham like that.

Try telling us in the north that. You're 'the south' to us, live with it! :tongue:

Please refer to my previous reply.
Try telling us in the north that. You're 'the south' to us, live with it! :tongue:

And were North to Northeners. Northeners are always winging about how they are shunned by the south yet we are shunned by You lot and Southerners. We go without the financial perks that come with being in the south AND the cultural identity of the North.

Essentially : stop whinging Northeners, you haven't got a foot to stand on until you stop ****ting all over the Midlands.
And were North to Northeners. Northeners are always winging about how they are shunned by the south yet we are shunned by You lot and Southerners. We go without the financial perks that come with being in the south AND the cultural identity of the North.

Essentially : stop whinging Northeners, you haven't got a foot to stand on until you stop ****ting all over the Midlands.

Hey, it's not our problem the south doesn't want you. You're sort of like the red-headed stepchild.

We got to have someone to **** on :colonhash:
Reply 17
Original post by datpiff

Rarely do I see Notts, Birmingham or Derby mentioned.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No love for Leicester I see! Leicester needs way, war more rejuvenation than Nottingham does. As someone who frequents both cities, Nottingham is on a whole different level of urban development to Leicester. But I agree, on the news it's either the South or the North. I've not even heard the mention of the Midlands for most of this year, I think, whereas the other two get near-daily updates.

Edit: Also, cobs.
Hey, it's not our problem the south doesn't want you. You're sort of like the red-headed stepchild.

Its so true :'(
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
We got to have someone to **** on :colonhash:

We cope fine without it! Well, I suppose there's Coventry. Poor, poor Coventry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending