The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS History

Just a question regarding applying to uni and whether my grade will affect my chances. I'd like to study history at university and I completely messed up one of my modules this year. We weren't taught one of the questions that came up in the votes for women exam, actually we had a really bad student-teacher for that topic anyway, and so no-one got higher than a D on this paper. I got 60/120 which equated to a D, but I also got 72/90 and 79/90 on my other two papers which is two A's. My actual teacher who taught us the rest of the course said I'll be able to resit and take my grade right up, but I'm worried that when I apply to university, they'll only be able to see what I have currently, which could affect my chances of getting into the better ones? Any advice at all would be great!
Reply 1
The Universities that you apply to wont be able to see your grades providing you dont "cash them in". If you retake a module you cant cash them in, so they wont see your current results and all will be fine... :smile:
Reply 2
but if I don't 'cash them in', the universities will know that I am resitting and so I have got a low grade?
Reply 3
Eskimo Melon
but if I don't 'cash them in', the universities will know that I am resitting and so I have got a low grade?

I doubt they will read that much into it tbh. Most people tend to resit one or two modules and i seriously doubt that they would penalise you for it, or even question it.
Reply 4
I put my AS grades on my UCAS even though I resat a history module. If everyone did that badly in that module and you're applying for history then I'm sure your school will put it in your reference. I know people who got Bs at AS history then got As at A2 as well as offers from good unis to study history, so try not to worry.
Reply 5
Ok thanks :smile:
Could you perhaps ask for the fact that you were taught badly and everyone got Ds or below on that paper to be mentioned in your reference? In any case, universities now see module grades as well as overall AS grades, so with AAD they'll know it was only one module pulling you down and that you'll most likely be resitting it to pull your overall grade up to an A.

Latest