The Student Room Group

Driving Lesson nerves

I've got my first driving lesson tomorrow. I'm extremely nervous, like beyond words.
Any tips on how to overcome these nerves?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's like riding a bike, etc if you crash you will have more than a grazed knee :biggrin:

But seriously, your instructor should put you at ease pretty quickly and estimate how confident he believes you are. You will be lucky to travel very far, if at all. :yy:
Reply 2
Original post by Twinport53
It's like riding a bike, etc if you crash you will have more than a grazed knee :biggrin:

But seriously, your instructor should put you at ease pretty quickly and estimate how confident he believes you are. You will be lucky to travel very far, if at all. :yy:

I was never very good at riding a bike....:facepalm:

My friend recommended the instructor and I just spoke to him on the phone and he seems like a really lovely so hopefully he's like that in person
Reply 3
Original post by esjae
I was never very good at riding a bike....:facepalm:

My friend recommended the instructor and I just spoke to him on the phone and he seems like a really lovely so hopefully he's like that in person

If you don't feel comfortable with him, then change instructor. It will be of no benefit too you if you feel he isnt very understanding or good at explaining :smile: It's your money at the end of the day.

But yeah, he should give you the confidence too make you want too learn, and within a few lessons you will be saying 'When are we going on the proper roads!?' :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by esjae
I've got my first driving lesson tomorrow. I'm extremely nervous, like beyond words.

Just remember that your driving instructor will have their own brakes and will use them if you're going to hit something.

Im sure it wont be any worse than my first lesson. Sat in the car and my instructor literally went "Right, off we go"... didnt tell me which pedal done what or anything. Luckily I already rode a motorcycle so knew about clutches and gears.
Reply 5
If you don't feel comfortable with him, then change instructor. It will be of no benefit too you if you feel he isnt very understanding or good at explaining :smile: It's your money at the end of the day.

But yeah, he should give you the confidence too make you want too learn, and within a few lessons you will be saying 'When are we going on the proper roads!?' :biggrin:

I know a good few people who have passed with him so im fairly confident with him already, if that makes sense?

Original post by Reue
Just remember that your driving instructor will have their own brakes and will use them if you're going to hit something.

Im sure it wont be any worse than my first lesson. Sat in the car and my instructor literally went "Right, off we go"... didnt tell me which pedal done what or anything. Luckily I already rode a motorcycle so knew about clutches and gears.

Well I've technically had my first lesson, even if it strictly wasn't legal in a variety of different ways haha!
I was nervous during every lesson and even on the test, but just watched a comedy like Scrubs before a lesson which helped put me a little at ease.
Reply 7
Original post by esjae
I know a good few people who have passed with him so im fairly confident with him already, if that makes sense?

Yeah, I understand :smile: If others have used him and they trust him it will make it easier. Also it helps too break the ice sometimes because you can mention other friends he has taught and ask how bad they were :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by i_eatProstitutes
I was nervous during every lesson and even on the test, but just watched a comedy like Scrubs before a lesson which helped put me a little at ease.

I love Scrubs, so that doesn't sound like a bad idea tbh!

Yeah, I understand :smile: If others have used him and they trust him it will make it easier. Also it helps too break the ice sometimes because you can mention other friends he has taught and ask how bad they were :tongue:

I mentioned the one when I phoned him up he was all happy that she recommended me to him :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by esjae
I mentioned the one when I phoned him up he was all happy that she recommended me to him :smile:

You don't sound nervous at all :biggrin:
Reply 10
You don't sound nervous at all :biggrin:

I am though, I didn't expect to be booked in so soon, I was kinda expecting a kind of like week before the lesson so that I can mentally prepare myself and he was like 'Tomorrow half twelve?' I was like 'yeah sure thats fine' without even thinking haha
Reply 11
Original post by esjae
I am though, I didn't expect to be booked in so soon, I was kinda expecting a kind of like week before the lesson so that I can mentally prepare myself and he was like 'Tomorrow half twelve?' I was like 'yeah sure thats fine' without even thinking haha

In at the deep end then? :biggrin:

What is it that you are nervous about?

Not knowing how too drive?

Or being in control of the car etc?
Reply 12
In at the deep end then? :biggrin:

What is it that you are nervous about?

Not knowing how too drive?

Or being in control of the car etc?

Aye :P Nothing like diving straight in haha!

Both really, I don't do well under pressure either haha!
Original post by esjae

haha just wait till the day you do your driving test, i was ****ting bricks for when i did my test! was a lot less nervous second time round tho, which is good cos it helped me pass :tongue:

for a lesson theres no need to be nervous - put it this way, theres almost 0% chance of you crashing into anything! your instructor has his own clutch and brake, so he will make sure you don't mess up :smile: don't worry if you do mess up btw, it's your first lesson so your bound to make mistakes!
Reply 14
Original post by Fas
haha just wait till the day you do your driving test, i was ****ting bricks for when i did my test! was a lot less nervous second time round tho, which is good cos it helped me pass :tongue:

for a lesson theres no need to be nervous - put it this way, theres almost 0% chance of you crashing into anything! your instructor has his own clutch and brake, so he will make sure you don't mess up :smile: don't worry if you do mess up btw, it's your first lesson so your bound to make mistakes!

Thats's true, I'm just like nervous and i kinda don't know why cos I knew this would have to happen at some point haha
Reply 15
Original post by esjae
Aye :P Nothing like diving straight in haha!

Both really, I don't do well under pressure either haha!

Haha it is the only way, no point pussy footing around is there :biggrin:

All you have too think is, EVERYBODY has been in that position, there is no point sitting thinking 'I don't know what am doing, my instructor thinks am stupid', because he will of taught hundreds of people, some better than you, and some 100x worse :biggrin:

At the end of the day he is there too teach you, if you don't understand something or are confused, it is his job too help you understand in a way that is best for you :smile:

Also cars now are ridiculously safe, and with duel peddles he will be able too keep you alive for atleast awhile :tongue:
Original post by esjae
Thats's true, I'm just like nervous and i kinda don't know why cos I knew this would have to happen at some point haha

just try not to think about it - once you're in the car, you'll find you won't have time to be nervous, because once you're in there, you've gotta concentrate haha. once you've had your 1st lesson you'll feel a lot more confident :smile:

that's pretty shocking advice, but all i can muster im afraid!
Reply 17
Haha it is the only way, no point pussy footing around is there :biggrin:

All you have too think is, EVERYBODY has been in that position, there is no point sitting thinking 'I don't know what am doing, my instructor thinks am stupid', because he will of taught hundreds of people, some better than you, and some 100x worse :biggrin:

At the end of the day he is there too teach you, if you don't understand something or are confused, it is his job too help you understand in a way that is best for you :smile:

Also cars now are ridiculously safe, and with duel peddles he will be able too keep you alive for atleast awhile :tongue:

Yeah, that's true. I just remembered I have to take money out as well to pay him. I'm so going to be a broke college student after all this haha! :lol:

Yeah, he's apparently very calm, which is what i'm going to need cos I'm going to be all arms and legs and soooo un-coordinated haha!
Reply 18
Original post by Fas
just try not to think about it - once you're in the car, you'll find you won't have time to be nervous, because once you're in there, you've gotta concentrate haha. once you've had your 1st lesson you'll feel a lot more confident :smile:

that's pretty shocking advice, but all i can muster im afraid!

Shocking advice is better than no advise haha!
I'll probably just be all calm and **** come tomorrow haha!
Reply 19
Original post by esjae
Yeah, that's true. I just remembered I have to take money out as well to pay him. I'm so going to be a broke college student after all this haha! :lol:

Yeah, he's apparently very calm, which is what i'm going to need cos I'm going to be all arms and legs and soooo un-coordinated haha!

Haha uh oh, are you buying lessons single? Or block booking? If you like the instructor after a few lessons it might be worth block booking like 6-10 lessons as they normally do it slightly cheaper :yy:

Haha, when I first started there was a point where I just pulled over and got out. I was like '**** it, na can't do it, am walking home' :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending