The Student Room Group

Driving Lesson nerves

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Twinport53
Haha uh oh, are you buying lessons single? Or block booking? If you like the instructor after a few lessons it might be worth block booking like 6-10 lessons as they normally do it slightly cheaper :yy:

Haha, when I first started there was a point where I just pulled over and got out. I was like '**** it, na can't do it, am walking home' :biggrin:

Block buying. Ten of them for like £190 :smile:
I hopefully won't be like that. Can't promise anything hahaha my uncle tried teaching me like lasts year. That did not end well hahaha
Reply 21
Original post by esjae
Block buying. Ten of them for like £190 :smile:
I hopefully won't be like that. Can't promise anything hahaha my uncle tried teaching me like lasts year. That did not end well hahaha

Thats not bad :smile:

Haha we will see, I want an update tomorrow :tongue:
Original post by esjae
Shocking advice is better than no advise haha!
I'll probably just be all calm and **** come tomorrow haha!

haha Im actually starting in a few days too and not a fecking clue!

I think theres probably more pressure on lads to know what to do..especially when yeh live in the country
Reply 23
Thats not bad :smile:

Haha we will see, I want an update tomorrow :tongue:

If there's no update. I've died hahaha!

Original post by trustmeimlying1
haha Im actually starting in a few days too and not a fecking clue!

I think theres probably more pressure on lads to know what to do..especially when yeh live in the country

Yeah lads are always encouraged to drive more. I haven't really been pushed to drive and I've been seventeen since October last year haha
Reply 24
Original post by esjae

:laugh:
Reply 25
:laugh:

:lol:
I was so nervous before every one of my driving lessons but as soon as I started driving the nervous just vanished. I was concentrating so much I didn't have any time or energy to be nervous! After about 15 minutes in to each lesson I started to really enjoy it, and by the time I got back I wanted to go again (even though somehow a week later I was dreading it again!). Basically don't worry too much, if your instructor is as patient as he sounds I'm sure up you'll really enjoy your lessons!
Original post by esjae

Yeah lads are always encouraged to drive more. I haven't really been pushed to drive and I've been seventeen since October last year haha

yeh in ireland we learn later generally than in uk so I better get my act together!p

I wasnt encouraged at all quite the opposite..Id prefer a decent sponsor as my parents often are iffy with regard to when they are willing to practice
Original post by esjae
I've got my first driving lesson tomorrow. I'm extremely nervous, like beyond words.
Any tips on how to overcome these nerves?

Aw...don't be nervous! :hugs:
It's like riding a bike, etc if you crash you will have more than a grazed knee :biggrin:

But seriously, your instructor should put you at ease pretty quickly and estimate how confident he believes you are. You will be lucky to travel very far, if at all. :yy:

you sound experienced hope yeh dont mind me asking

I start with my first lesson on thursday..over here we have to do 12 lessons compulsory

I have to be back in college by September the 1st so I have roughly 2 months..

is it realistic to aim to get the test done and get my licence:?

im a complete novice..not a clue etc..
Reply 30
you sound experienced hope yeh dont mind me asking

I start with my first lesson on thursday..over here we have to do 12 lessons compulsory

I have to be back in college by September the 1st so I have roughly 2 months..

is it realistic to aim to get the test done and get my licence:?

im a complete novice..not a clue etc..

Haha am no expert, I can just drive :tongue:

Tbh, it is realistic, So is it like 12 lessons of intensive? People regularly complain that they aren't as good as weekly individual lessons over a long period of time.

However the only real complaint is that you are less like too experience certain conditions, such as driving at night or in heavy rain or snow for example. Obviously less likely over the summer like now. compared too somebody learning over a 6 month period.

If you pay attention and give it 100% there is no reason why you can't.

I had a friend pass his test after 4 lessons. I only had 2 and then my mam taught the rest too me :smile:

So yes, it is realistic if you have the time available. However you sound be looking at booking your theory if possible and get that out the way :smile:

Like I said before, everybody is a novice, nobody knows exactly what too expect when they first sit behind the wheel :biggrin:
Haha am no expert, I can just drive :tongue:

Tbh, it is realistic, So is it like 12 lessons of intensive? People regularly complain that they aren't as good as weekly individual lessons over a long period of time.

However the only real complaint is that you are less like too experience certain conditions, such as driving at night or in heavy rain or snow for example. Obviously less likely over the summer like now. compared too somebody learning over a 6 month period.

If you pay attention and give it 100% there is no reason why you can't.

I had a friend pass his test after 4 lessons. I only had 2 and then my mam taught the rest too me :smile:

So yes, it is realistic if you have the time available. However you sound be looking at booking your theory if possible and get that out the way :smile:

Like I said before, everybody is a novice, nobody knows exactly what too expect when they first sit behind the wheel :biggrin:

haha p
no I can do the 12 lessons whenever I like...its just I have 9 weeks till I go back to uni..and I very rarely go home after that..(once every 7 weeks usually) and as unis in uk I cant practice

oh Ive done the theory just need to do the driving.I might do two lessons a week ...thatl be 6 weeks plus one week of something happening..then weeks practice will make it week 8

also Il get insurance on my parents car and try drive them places

yeh but rural kids and lads in general are often good..Im like :confused:

so my plan sound alright to you?
Don't be frustrated if you don't grasp 'clutch control' straight away. It took me a couple of lessons to feel comfortable with releasing the clutch when setting off.

Just stay safe and remember to USE your mirrors. I cannot stress how important looking in your mirrors are. Even after I passed, I have to always use my mirrors when driving. They are life savers!
Reply 33
haha p
no I can do the 12 lessons whenever I like...its just I have 9 weeks till I go back to uni..and I very rarely go home after that..(once every 7 weeks usually) and as unis in uk I cant practice

oh Ive done the theory just need to do the driving.I might do two lessons a week ...thatl be 6 weeks plus one week of something happening..then weeks practice will make it week 8

also Il get insurance on my parents car and try drive them places

yeh but rural kids and lads in general are often good..Im like :confused:

so my plan sound alright to you?

Go for it man, you sound like deep down you already know what you want and how too do it :yy:
Original post by esjae
I've got my first driving lesson tomorrow. I'm extremely nervous, like beyond words.
Any tips on how to overcome these nerves?

Oh don't worry about it honestly! I was nervous for my first lesson but to be honest it's not even that scary lool and I even got to drive back home so was very good. Best of luck though :smile: xxx
Go for it man, you sound like deep down you already know what you want and how too do it :yy:

hmm idk man Id have to apply for my test now as theres 10 week waiting lists...

so Il talk to the driving instructor

highly unlikely id be ready but il be cheeky and ask anyways
Reply 36
hmm idk man Id have to apply for my test now as theres 10 week waiting lists...

so Il talk to the driving instructor

highly unlikely id be ready but il be cheeky and ask anyways

You don't know you won't be ready. You might pick it up quickly :smile:
You don't know you won't be ready. You might pick it up quickly :smile:

yeh true I reckon i might book the test and cancel it if im not maing quick enough progress

first il chat to the instructor bout it..

cheers for the help tho

how are yeh urself:?
Reply 38
yeh true I reckon i might book the test and cancel it if im not maing quick enough progress

first il chat to the instructor bout it..

cheers for the help tho

how are yeh urself:?

Just double check what happens if you cancel the test though, some places don't refund it at all or only do if you give enough notice prior too the actually day pal :smile:

Anytime man :yy:

Am very well thanks for asking :u:
Just double check what happens if you cancel the test though, some places don't refund it at all or only do if you give enough notice prior too the actually day pal :smile:

Anytime man :yy:

Am very well thanks for asking :u:

yeh 10 days notice and yeh got it all back me thinks

cheers

say yeh want advice on yourself

very well..jaysus good news?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending