The Student Room Group

Papers Re-marked

Hi
I got AAB in my A Levels and needed AAA for my first choice uni. They have rejected me but told me if my grade improves with the re-mark then they will give me back my place... I really want to go there.. My insurence place is also brill, but nothing beats your first choice if you know what i mean!

OK so overall i was 10 points away from an A. I'm geting two papers re-marked. In those papers my scores were 59/90 and 87/120.
How likely is it that I improve 10 marks from these two papers???
And has anyone else been in the same position as me and improved 10 marks??

Any advice or comments would be great,
Thanks!
xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What subject was it in? If it was something like Maths or Science i.e. something with definite right and wrong answers, then no, not likely at all. If it is an essay subject like English or History, then it's still unlikely they got it wrong by 10 points, but not completely out the question!
Reply 2
It was History
Reply 3
Hmm. It's worth a go then isn't it? (although £70 for two papers I think). Only thing is, re-marks take a couple weeks if I remember correctly, and if you're going to Uni this year then wouldn't that be a little too late to sort everything out?
Alex Mann
Hmm. It's worth a go then isn't it? (although £70 for two papers I think). Only thing is, re-marks take a couple weeks if I remember correctly, and if you're going to Uni this year then wouldn't that be a little too late to sort everything out?

You can get priority remarks can't you?
Reply 5
Yes, but at this time of year, isn't everyone going to claim there's is a priority?
Reply 6
I'm in a similar position except its not as critical - its with my AS results. I'm 7 marks off an A in english literature, and its annoying becuase in the units I got AAC, which gave me an overall B. Is it worth trying to get remarked to try and grab an extra 7 marks?
Reply 7
Priority re-marking takes max 4-6 weeks, I sent the form in straight after my results so hopefully mine will be quicker! but I'm guessing they have loads..
My first choice university said if the grade improves and it is before August 31st then they can offer my a place (I doubt it will be done this quick!) and if it is after August 31st then they can guarentee me a place for 2007.
It was £70 but if it improves I suppose it's worth it.
tom 0601 that's encouraging about the english lit students... 14 marks is a lot I need 10 so fingers crossed although I am not getting my hopes up!!
What do you mean by UMS mark?? I got 470/600 and need 480/600... is this 10 UMS marks I need?
Reply 8
Kato_88
I'm in a similar position except its not as critical - its with my AS results. I'm 7 marks off an A in english literature, and its annoying becuase in the units I got AAC, which gave me an overall B. Is it worth trying to get remarked to try and grab an extra 7 marks?

You could just re-take the module you got a C in?
Reply 9
getting a history module remarked. need two marks to get the A i need to go to LSE.

Only worry is that if it isn't done by 31st, LSE might not even give me a deferred entry for next year if i get that A.
curlylocks88
Hi
I got AAB in my A Levels and needed AAA for my first choice uni. They have rejected me but told me if my grade improves with the re-mark then they will give me back my place... I really want to go there.. My insurence place is also brill, but nothing beats your first choice if you know what i mean!

OK so overall i was 10 points away from an A. I'm geting two papers re-marked. In those papers my scores were 59/90 and 87/120.
How likely is it that I improve 10 marks from these two papers???
And has anyone else been in the same position as me and improved 10 marks??

Any advice or comments would be great,
Thanks!
xx

I would re-mark it anyway.... You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain, why not?
i got 476 in biology, so am gettin a remark, but do you think it will go up. i know that biology is a science but there is quite a bit of writing.
ther r in r&B
i got 476 in biology, so am gettin a remark, but do you think it will go up. i know that biology is a science but there is quite a bit of writing.

Try the synoptic unit as that has an essay question.
Lol I couldn't belive my bad luck that I got 478 in chemistry. I'm hoping the marker will be a bit leanient :redface:
:p: That is bad luck, anyone got 479?
Reply 15
I have a 469 in history and that lost me my place at bristol. Some people told me i should go for a remark but i dont thinkit is worth the wait. I got screwed over by a **** module 6 66/120. Probably gonna resit it next year while at manchester and in the meanwhile reapply to some really good unis jus for the sake of it. notin to lose. anyone agree?
Alex_18
I have a 469 in history and that lost me my place at bristol. Some people told me i should go for a remark but i dont thinkit is worth the wait. I got screwed over by a **** module 6 66/120. Probably gonna resit it next year while at manchester and in the meanwhile reapply to some really good unis jus for the sake of it. notin to lose. anyone agree?

I think you should get a remark because being a resit candidate wont look too good wheras you could get an A if you just wait for 3 or 4 weeks.
Reply 17
Arent 11 marks tooo much?
Alex_18
Arent 11 marks tooo much?

Oh I thought you wrote 479 :eek: :redface: I think its still possible because history is a written subject and all..
Reply 19
And if i dont meet the 31 august deadline which is almost certain?? Is it that bad if you go one year uni improve your A level grades to AAAA and show that you are still willing to study economics at a top notch uni and have the A level grades needed and a year of uni ding the subject? Doesnt it sorta how dedication?

Latest