The Student Room Group

Embarrassed about getting tested for STDs

I'm going to go to a GUM clinic tomorrow to get tested for STDs. I had unprotected sex a couple of weeks ago (major mistake, I know). I don't have any symptoms but really want to get tested for everything for peace of mind.

Can I just ask to get tested for everything? Even if I don't have any physical symptoms? And I'm kind of embarrassed about giving details about my sexual history and stuff, and about having a physical examination.

I've just worked myself up a lot and am really worried. Advice anyone? Thanks.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm going to go to a GUM clinic tomorrow to get tested for STDs. I had unprotected sex a couple of weeks ago (major mistake, I know). I don't have any symptoms but really want to get tested for everything for peace of mind.

Can I just ask to get tested for everything? Even if I don't have any physical symptoms? And I'm kind of embarrassed about giving details about my sexual history and stuff, and about having a physical examination.

I've just worked myself up a lot and am really worried. Advice anyone? Thanks.

Yeah you can, they will try to anyway, especially if its the first time youve been there.

Youll have to give your age, and your sexual history of the past 6months, to make sure if you have something you can contact people (or they can for you, anonymously).

Just be calm, theyll understand if youre nervous. And you can always ask for a female/male doctor depending on your preference. Theyll do what they can to make you feel settled and comfortable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you want to be tested as thoroughly as possible, you'll need to be open about your sexual history, regardless of what it is. Ever had been on the receiving end of anal sex? Unless you tell them, they're unlikely to do a swab there. Similarly, if you want a throat swab, you need to tell them about the oral sex.

If 'a couple of weeks' means less than four, an HIV test won't be reliable regarding the latest incident, so you will probably need to go back for that at some point.
I wouldn't worry, this is their job. Whatever you tell them/show them, they've seen/heard much worse before. The more open and honest you are, the more thoroughly they can do their job and keep you safe.
Reply 4
I adopt an attitude of generally abandoning my embarrassment at the door when I visit the doctor, remember that you're one appointment of many that day, and they'll probably see a lot worse. The only consequence of telling them your sexual history is that they're more equipped to help you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest