The Student Room Group

Help picking a console

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Jammy Duel
There isn't really a right or wrong answer though; they both have their benefits and they both have their drawbacks, given you [currently] have little interest in exclusive titles the decision is fairly abitrary. Xbone pulls away on a few features that most people will say they don't want, but I expect a lot of people with xbones will use them anyway because it's easier (like all the extra keybaord shortcuts on windows 8[.1]); whereas PS4 currently runs things slightly better, saying that, neither of them do particularly well.

Xbox currently has more features, ps4 currently has better graphics, the graphics will probably even out before the features do (I am somewhat skeptical that Project Morpheus will actually be that good given that PS4 currently can barely cope with 1080p 30/60fps, and in VR high frame rates and resolutions are NEEDED)

i only know two people who play consoles and one owns an xbox, the other a ps4
I think maybe i should go to a games shop and test the controller to see which i prefer
xbox controller takes batteries right? PS4 USB charged.....
I did want my console to watch movies such as blu ray but both consoles can offer me that.
Like you said no right and wrong answer but maybe PS4 because the games i like play better than the xbox one?
Original post by xxvine
i only know two people who play consoles and one owns an xbox, the other a ps4
I think maybe i should go to a games shop and test the controller to see which i prefer
xbox controller takes batteries right? PS4 USB charged.....
I did want my console to watch movies such as blu ray but both consoles can offer me that.
Like you said no right and wrong answer but maybe PS4 because the games i like play better than the xbox one?

I believe that that is the power situation (and ofc there will be play and charge kits for xbone)
The sports games will be the same on both (fifa definitely is going to be 1080p/60fps unless they really ****ed up), ghosts is better on ps4, I wouldn't be surprised if they're both the same for AW, maybe 1080p 30fps and then up to 60 next year
If you care about the DLC that comes a month earlier to xbox for CoD.

Peronsally, ignoring exclusives, coming from PC I would probably take xbox. The graphics are going to be about as bad as each other to me, but the extra features because of the kinect and two window stuff along with a lack of confidence in Morpheus, with little PS4 can offer in the way of exclusive features, I would go for one.
Even considering the graphical differences and ignoring that they would look as bad as each other, would probably go to the one; graphically they should get a lot closer, so PS4 loses it's edge, to my knowledge Sony isn't planning much that takes away Xbox's features edge.

As I said, those features aren't exactly needed, but they will be a lot more useful than you initially thought if you actually do use them. WRT windows 8.1 I barely use the mouse outside programs because all the keyboard shortcuts make it unnecessary, so much faster to just use shortcuts.
Reply 62
I believe that that is the power situation (and ofc there will be play and charge kits for xbone)
The sports games will be the same on both (fifa definitely is going to be 1080p/60fps unless they really ****ed up), ghosts is better on ps4, I wouldn't be surprised if they're both the same for AW, maybe 1080p 30fps and then up to 60 next year
If you care about the DLC that comes a month earlier to xbox for CoD.

Peronsally, ignoring exclusives, coming from PC I would probably take xbox. The graphics are going to be about as bad as each other to me, but the extra features because of the kinect and two window stuff along with a lack of confidence in Morpheus, with little PS4 can offer in the way of exclusive features, I would go for one.
Even considering the graphical differences and ignoring that they would look as bad as each other, would probably go to the one; graphically they should get a lot closer, so PS4 loses it's edge, to my knowledge Sony isn't planning much that takes away Xbox's features edge.

As I said, those features aren't exactly needed, but they will be a lot more useful than you initially thought if you actually do use them. WRT windows 8.1 I barely use the mouse outside programs because all the keyboard shortcuts make it unnecessary, so much faster to just use shortcuts.

hmmm thanks for your opinion
I will test the controllers and see if that makes my mind up...
I guess the xbox one is more entertainment whilst PS4 pure gaming/
Uncharted looks like a wicked game though, so going to watch some youtube gameplay to see if that sways me to the ps4

sorry for rambling on...i know most on this thread are thinking 'just pick one ffs' but its a hard decision and once i open it, i can't go back unless i sell it and then put the other one!
Original post by xxvine
hmmm thanks for your opinion
I will test the controllers and see if that makes my mind up...
I guess the xbox one is more entertainment whilst PS4 pure gaming/
Uncharted looks like a wicked game though, so going to watch some youtube gameplay to see if that sways me to the ps4

sorry for rambling on...i know most on this thread are thinking 'just pick one ffs' but its a hard decision and once i open it, i can't go back unless i sell it and then put the other one!

I see it less of "xbox is entertainment, Ps4 is pure gaming" and more of "xbox is trying something new to increase it's crowd, and running a risk in doing so (although most of it's losses are due to stupid things they wanted to do in the beginning); whereas Sony decided to stick with the tried and tested formula"

With controllers, I would say xbox 360 is the best I've used, but I haven't touched the One's and hear it is no where near as good, but obviously I can't tell you which is best for you, and I somehow doubt that Ms will let you use your old 360 controllers (for those that have them) instead of spending a load on much more expensive One controllers.

With respect to uncharted, I've heard little negative about it, but never played it, but personally, having grown up with Halo and Crackdown (even is 343 is driving halo into the ground imo), and to my knowledge Sony offering little else in the way of exclusives of that type, I will be firmly sticking to Xbox when I get round to getting a next gen for exclusives (when the price is below 300, maybe even lower than that). Of course, you aren't tied down to wanting one having played it's exclusives for a long time so you're a bit more open on that one.
Original post by xxvine
hahaha your clearly a ps4 fan but anyway I'm leanings towards the PS4 anyway

Haha nah when they came out I was gonna buy an xbox cause of voice commands and tv 😂 (my bad) but then realised how dumb I was being & got a ps4

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
I see it less of "xbox is entertainment, Ps4 is pure gaming" and more of "xbox is trying something new to increase it's crowd, and running a risk in doing so (although most of it's losses are due to stupid things they wanted to do in the beginning); whereas Sony decided to stick with the tried and tested formula"

With controllers, I would say xbox 360 is the best I've used, but I haven't touched the One's and hear it is no where near as good, but obviously I can't tell you which is best for you, and I somehow doubt that Ms will let you use your old 360 controllers (for those that have them) instead of spending a load on much more expensive One controllers.

With respect to uncharted, I've heard little negative about it, but never played it, but personally, having grown up with Halo and Crackdown (even is 343 is driving halo into the ground imo), and to my knowledge Sony offering little else in the way of exclusives of that type, I will be firmly sticking to Xbox when I get round to getting a next gen for exclusives (when the price is below 300, maybe even lower than that). Of course, you aren't tied down to wanting one having played it's exclusives for a long time so you're a bit more open on that one.

yeah heard the xbox one controller isn't as good as the 360 one. Such a tricky decision with both being the same price!
Probably going to go with the PS4 tbh because I can't see no reason why i should get the Xbox one...i am no interested in Kinnect, both play blu rays and multi platform games run better on the PS4. Only thing the xbox one offers is the better controller if i deem it to be so!
Ask Sheldon Cooper
Original post by xxvine
yeah heard the xbox one controller isn't as good as the 360 one. Such a tricky decision with both being the same price!
Probably going to go with the PS4 tbh because I can't see no reason why i should get the Xbox one...i am no interested in Kinnect, both play blu rays and multi platform games run better on the PS4. Only thing the xbox one offers is the better controller if i deem it to be so!

Naturally something big will happen to boost xmas sales for the xbone and you will regret it, then again, if you got a one the same would happen for Ps4 :biggrin:
Reply 68
Naturally something big will happen to boost xmas sales for the xbone and you will regret it, then again, if you got a one the same would happen for Ps4 :biggrin:

hahahaha arghhh

thats it. its heads or tails!
Original post by xxvine
hahahaha arghhh

thats it. its heads or tails!

Just to add to this a little more.

Xbox One IMO has the better controller.
Kinect is now dead. It'll be useless for most games aside the 'record that' function.
PS4 has FAR better support for Indie games.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Reply 70
Original post by mikeyd85
Just to add to this a little more.

Xbox One IMO has the better controller.
Kinect is now dead. It'll be useless for most games aside the 'record that' function.
PS4 has FAR better support for Indie games.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Which do you prefer
Original post by xxvine
Which do you prefer

I told you already. :tongue:

I had the One, I've now sold it and if I were to buy another console, I'd go PS4 or maybe Wii U tbh.

Will probably stick to PC gaming for now though!
Reply 72
Original post by mikeyd85
I told you already. :tongue:

I had the One, I've now sold it and if I were to buy another console, I'd go PS4 or maybe Wii U tbh.

Will probably stick to PC gaming for now though!

Sorry forgot you quoted me!!!
It's a tie between PC and PS4 for me. If I have to choose one of them, it's the PS4. I have a lot of games to choose from this console.
Original post by keimastudnt
It's a tie between PC and PS4 for me. If I have to choose one of them, it's the PS4. I have a lot of games to choose from this console.

Your wording implies foul logic, along with not actually making gramatical sense :tongue:
Reply 75

ps4 i am not interested in a pc
:tongue:
Your wording implies foul logic, along with not actually making gramatical sense

I apologize if I can't please you that way. I was sharing my opinion on two consoles that I like, but I'd choose PS4 if I were the thread starter.

And please take note, grammatical is the correct word, not 'gramatical'. *peace* :P
(edited 9 years ago)
I apologize if I can't please you that way. I was sharing my opinion on two consoles that I like, but I'd choose PS4 if I were the thread starter.

And please take note, grammatical is the correct word, not 'gramatical'. *peace*

Well, the logic was terrible, "I have a lot of games to chose from" on the platform with barely and games.
Please tell me more about how you always type perfectly, no typographical errors ever.
You can use PS4 or xbox one both are good for multi platform games. Mostly people prefer these consoles. It seems to be the best console of the next generation.
Reply 79
lol^^^^^

Quick Reply

Latest