The Student Room Group

Do you feel that you are naturally better at some subjects than others?

Do you feel that no matter how hard you revise for a subject, you end up not getting the best result you could have gotten? But for other subjects, you find that you don't have to revise much at all and you still get quite good mark?

I am getting this and it is really annoying me!
I want to get better at Biology and Physics and I try really hard to revise for tests, and I feel like I understand everything but in the actual test I guess I forget about what I know and get the question wrong. Maybe it is the way I'm thinking?

In terms of Chemistry and a few other subjects, I find that even when I don't really know the answer and I just guess, I still get the question right (well, most of the time).

Does anyone get this and how do I become "naturally" better at things?
Yes, it is most likely because of how the teacher establishes the subject and it's content directly into your mind. I hate English and that is because of my teacher, her leadership style was laissez faire and did not care about how her students progressed.
I'm better at English than people from my culture are and than white people expect me to be :closedeyes: 'Specially the elder ones. Those finicky old folk.
I guess, depends on what you enjoy really, if you don't enjoy something then you're less likely to do better :smile:
I find that I am naturally better at maths, and I have to do nowhere near as much work as most people to be able to do as well in it. But then I'm crap naturally at anything creative.
I'm an all rounder in terms of academic things like maths etc but I'd say Chemistry is what I'm naturally best at
I feel like I was born to do maths, it just clicks to me. And I hated biology, but surprisingly I have more chance of getting A* in bio than maths for A2.

But this still doesn't change my love for maths.
I personally don't believe in this 'naturally better' concept when it comes to academic subjects. I struggle with certain subjects, even when I revise them a lot, but that is usually down to me not working hard enough in previous years (so I don't have a solid foundation to build upon), it being a hard exam or due to my class having an incompetent teacher.

If you work hard enough at a subject, from the start of Year 7, you will be good at it and perhaps even exceptional.
I was awful at GCSE Geography. Couldn't grasp it at all. Was my only C.
Reply 9
I feel naturally better at Art, History, English, ICT and RE(mostly because you have to write essays so it's linked to English) but it's probably because those are the things my family like and what was most focused on at primary school.

I feel naturally bad at Maths and Chemistry, which I think runs in my family as my mum had to repeat her GCSE level maths three times before she got it.:fyi:
Original post by nph
Do you feel that no matter how hard you revise for a subject, you end up not getting the best result you could have gotten? But for other subjects, you find that you don't have to revise much at all and you still get quite good mark?

I am getting this and it is really annoying me!
I want to get better at Biology and Physics and I try really hard to revise for tests, and I feel like I understand everything but in the actual test I guess I forget about what I know and get the question wrong. Maybe it is the way I'm thinking?

In terms of Chemistry and a few other subjects, I find that even when I don't really know the answer and I just guess, I still get the question right (well, most of the time).

Does anyone get this and how do I become "naturally" better at things?

Biology before degree level is basically just learning and regurgitating the content, physics requires a lot of understanding and application so maybe focus on doing a lot of questions to help with your understanding and applying the content into situations you wouldn't usually think of for A-level anyway I think most GCSE's are learning content and not much understanding. But you can't naturally become better you have to work hard some people naturally have the ability to pick things up well but it doesn't change the fact they'll have to learn it they'll just understand it more easily.
Original post by Ariana Grande
Yes, it is most likely because of how the teacher establishes the subject and it's content directly into your mind. I hate English and that is because of my teacher, her leadership style was laissez faire and did not care about how her students progressed.

Yes. By far. I literally think maths at gcse level is a bit of a joke.
I feel like I'm naturally better at Chemistry and Maths. This is why I want to be a Chemical engineer. Got full UMS in my last Chemistry exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes. I feel like I'm better at science subjects rather than social science subjects as I find it hard to put things into my own words. Its all perfect in my head but it gets all muddled up when I try and write it down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel like I am better in Accounting and Marketing, Human Resources than in any other business related field. I don't know why but they are all equally equivalent to me when I focus on each one of them.
Accounting - I like keeping records of what I spend on or how much my family has to spend on during shopping. I like to find offers on the internet or in store check if I can save as much as possible for instance: Buying a 2 ltr bottle for 99p rather than buying 6 cans of coke which is 2.4 ltr for £3
Marketing: I have large Facebook pages, totaling up to 1.5 million fans + age ranging from 13-64. I did not know I was marketing until I found out once I had completed a business module in A levels
Human Resource:- Accounting and Human resources link together really because they are managing assets that matter to a business. For instance:- Human resources requires managing staff and how well they are cohesive within a business whereas Finance requires you to think of financially of a business perspective eg: their current position and what you can do to help them save money (find a new supplier)
I feel that I have a natural kind of ability for languages. I became fluent in French after 2 years and learnt Spanish pretty quickly after. My brother's the same as me, both quite good at languages. Maybe it runs in families? :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by jordan_s
I feel that I have a natural kind of ability for languages. I became fluent in French after 2 years and learnt Spanish pretty quickly after. My brother's the same as me, both quite good at languages. Maybe it runs in families? :smile:

Hm maybe? All my family speak English, I speak Spanish and French, my older brother speaks Japanese and Spanish, my older sister speaks Italian and Portuguese and my dad speaks French, Spanish and Yoruba (my mum refuses to learn another language because of her dyslexia lol) :biggrin:
Original post by FunsoFH
Hm maybe? All my family speak English, I speak Spanish and French, my older brother speaks Japanese and Spanish, my older sister speaks Italian and Portuguese and my dad speaks French, Spanish and Yoruba (my mum refuses to learn another language because of her dyslexia lol) :biggrin:

I think your family is gifted xD
Reply 18
Original post by jordan_s
I think your family is gifted xD

haha well thank you :colondollar:
So are you! French in two years? I'm pretty sure I still haven't completely mastered it!
Original post by FunsoFH
haha well thank you :colondollar:
So are you! French in two years? I'm pretty sure I still haven't completely mastered it!

Oh stop it you :colondollar: and yes! French in 2 years, I kind of had to learn really quickly otherwise I wouldn't be able to go to French secondary school, I'd have to go to an international school :frown: and you shall master it you language machine!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending