The Student Room Group

Uni students: how often do you go home?

I'm a second year and two weeks ago I saw my parents for the first time since Christmas, and the second time in a year. Is this normal? :confused:

How often do you go home? Every weekend? Every fortnight? Every few weeks? Every couple of months? At Christmas? Never?

Why do you go home? Homesickness? Food cost? Peace and quiet? To see other friends?

Scroll to see replies

I tended to go home at reading week, Christmas, one weekend sometime between Christmas and Easter, Easter, May bank holiday weekend and then summer, plus the occasional other weekend for specific events. That said, by third year I never actually made it home for even the majority of the holidays - I was always far too busy at uni

Invariably it was something I did to see the family, attend family events, and just because uni was shutting down for the holidays and I'd have less to do there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by QuantumSuicide

You live there, right?
Reply 4
Original post by Numberwang
I'm a second year and two weeks ago I saw my parents for the first time since Christmas, and the second time in a year. Is this normal? :confused:

How often do you go home? Every weekend? Every fortnight? Every few weeks? Every couple of months? At Christmas? Never?

Why do you go home? Homesickness? Food cost? Peace and quiet? To see other friends?

Been here 10 months and only been home for 5 days in total, AND that was only because I was guilt tripped into going home for Christmas, my mum showed up at my accommodation as a surprise to come take me home for Christmas when I didn't want to go home and I couldn't say no..especially since my mum doesn't actually own a car and had to get relatives to bring her down there so saying no would of been a slap in their face too otherwise I wouldn't have gone home at all. Unfortunately I have to go back home in less than 2 weeks because my accommodation contract ends but I'll be back at university within 2 and a half months, the only upside is that I'll save money being at home but that's it, If I could I wouldn't go back home at all.
I only live about 20 mins from uni by train, though I don't particularly like visiting home too often (for several reasons) so I'd usually go once a fortnight.
I lived about 1hr 1/2 away from my parents. In 1st year I used to go home every 2/3 weeks, in 2nd year every month or so, and in 3rd year I was going back every 2 months or so. I spent all Easter break at uni, etc.
Reply 7
Home for my birthday-ish (weekend in October)
Home at Christmas (probably 2 out of the 3 weeks)
Home at Easter (for only a weekend in first year, whole holiday in second year because uni house too cold :biggrin:)

I think my mum might have come through for an afternoon/day out once each year if there was a convenient enough time for us both.

...probably about it. I didn't get any reading weeks or anything though so getting away was always a bit of a pain because it would just mean i'd end up with a stack of work to do when I got back. I went home for my birthday because my mum wanted me to, the other times were generally just to enjoy a warm house :tongue: bit of a change of scenery for a couple of weeks
I suppose i'll only go back home when i have to i.e. getting kicked out of accommodation/ having to pay extra to stay during the holidays.
Reply 9
Hey, I'm an international student and I have a question related to the topic, how often is it possible to visit home? I'm moving to England in two weeks and I just wonder if I'll be able to visit home some more than just for Christmas, Easter and the summer holidays.
Original post by chap95
Hey, I'm an international student and I have a question related to the topic, how often is it possible to visit home? I'm moving to England in two weeks and I just wonder if I'll be able to visit home some more than just for Christmas, Easter and the summer holidays.

You might have a reading week to catch up on your work. Not every subject has them though. And it depends if a week is really long enough to travel home and back again.
In my first year I never spent more than 3 weeks away from home/having a visit from family or boyfriend (expect the last 4 weeks).
My uni has reading week every half term, so it just meant one weekend every term so to speak.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Holidays & that's it. They came to visit me halfway through the first & second terms though.
I've just finished my first year and went home for 3 days during my reading week, xmas, 3 months for my placement (as it was closer to the placement), then for 6 weeks of summer . I live 1 hour away from home when at uni but wouldn't go home every month (like some of my friends in similar situations).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I'm not at uni but my brother comes home every week. He ended up choosing that particular uni do he could do that.
Just in holidays although I don't live in the UK so it's pretty expensive and inconvenient at other times. For future years I probably will only go back for a couple of weeks during the summer as I'll have internships in the UK.
In my first year I went back October half term (for my friend's birthday), Christmas and Easter. This year I think it'll be the same.
I live very close to my parents and I work in the same office as my mum so I go there every weekend.
i want to visit home only at christmas and my birthday otherwise i'll miss them too much!
Reply 19
Christmas, Easter and my mums birthday. My mum and I are close so Skyped a few times a week too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending