The Student Room Group

Cardistry Society

Cardistry is the an art form done with an ordinary pack of playing cards that everyone has laying around the house. It is not magical, but very artistic and cool.

Some examples

Spoiler

Here is a video to show you what the art looks like with good hands

A full uncut video of cardistry can be seen here.

NOTE: If you are right handed, you will mainly be holding the deck in your left hand, and vice versa. Small hands are not that much of a problem; I have small hands and can do like 99% of the cuts I actually want to do :lol: it just means you have to practise more!

Getting Started:

Firstly, you're going to need a deck. For beginners, I recommend Bicycle or Tally Ho cards - probably would be best to start with the cheapest ones they sell. They are very cheap and can last for quite a long time - very good value for money. The majority of suppliers are in the USA and will charge relatively high shipping fees, so for people in the UK, the best suppliers are either Amazon or JP Playing Cards. You can buy the vast majority of playing cards sourced from other parts of the world from JP.

'Luxury' or 'Performance' decks I recommend:
The Virts - Spring/Summer edition. At the time of posting this, they are out of stock from JP, so it would probably be best to purchase from them directly.
There are plenty of good decks out there, and deck reviews everywhere - Theory11, Ellusionist, Dan and Dave are all USA based suppliers, but looking at their websites and reviews for playing cards they sell, before purchasing them from JP is a good (and cheaper) way to get good decks.

What's next?

Right, so now you have your deck, you need to figure out what you want to learn first.

Do you want to learn cool looking flourishes that look like this? Or this?
Or do you want to learn the classical card skills; shuffling, fans, springs, dribbles? Below is a list of tutorials for either routes, but ultimately you will learn both.

Personally, here's the road I started down:

Spoiler

If that's not the first thing you want to learn, here's a list of what I think is best to learn, in order. I strongly recommend using TheVirts tutorials; they are long but in depth and encourage excellent technique. You will need to sign in using Facebook, but you'll be able to find all the tutorials. The links with 'from TheVirts' requires you to sign in to their website, after that, the hyperlinks in the thread should work. In fact, I highly recommend learning all of the skills that TheVirts do tutorials for.

YouTube is also a great source for tutorials. Kardistry is another good one, but the cuts there are mainly intermediate/advanced level.

To reiterate: if you are right handed, you will mainly be holding the deck in your left hand, and you will be doing one handed cuts with your left hand, and vice versa.

When learning basic mechanics, it may be easier to use only half the deck. It is also important to experiment with packet size, but I will recommend rough packet sizes. Again, I have ordered these skills in ascending mechanical difficulty.

The essentials:

Swing Cut - when practising this, lift off about 1/3, then another 1/3, then put the last packet on top of both of the packets you swung. Then try adjusting packet sizes - see how many swings you can fit in!

Charlier Cut from TheVirts - get used to lifting off 1/3, 1/2, and 2/3 of the deck.

Revolution Cut - when you have learnt the basic mechanics of the revolution itself, initiate the cut by doing the start of the Charlier, i.e, lift off a packet (I recommend a third to a quarter of the whole deck) then perform the Revolution.

Rev2 from TheVirts - also see TheVirts ways to open it, as well as their one card extension. Perform a Charlier with about 2/3 of the deck, then get into position for the Rev2 before letting the smaller packet (the other 1/3 of the deck) fall, ready to perform the Rev2.

Scissor Cut - I think scissoring half the deck is easiest. In flourishes that use this, you will be scissoring half a packet usually.

Practise these basic skills well!

Moving on to flourishes. As a general rule of thumb, the number of packets = fraction of the deck per packet. E.g, 3 packet flourish = 3 packets, each 1/3 of the deck roughly.

Card Flourish Variation 1 - first flourish I learnt. Nice and easy. Try and make sure the 3 packets are the same size - so roughly 1/3 of the deck!

Card Flourish Variation 2 - second flourish I learnt. Also nice and easy.

Hot Stones - a seemingly easy flourish, but it looks awesome. You will need to practise this lots!

Bad Habit - very nice flourish to learn, and is a skill used in a lot of other flourishes. I recommend pivoting 1/2 of the deck off your non dominant index, then break the 1/2 in your dominant hand into 3. So your left hand palm is holding half the deck, and the packets on your right hand thumb should each be 1/6 of the deck, if that makes sense. Easy-intermediate difficulty.

You are ultimately aiming for:

Sybil Cut - such a versatile flourish. It has so so so many applications. Same packet sizes as Bad Habit. Learn this well!! Intermediate difficulty.

Practise these until they look fluid! It will take a while but it will be worth it :smile:

More 'classical' cardistry:

Miscellaneous moves:

Card Twirling --> long video but teaches a lot! Definitely learn Flicker and its variations (also see the extensions on TheVirts website), as well as Bullet!!

Deck Flip --> look for a move called Instant Replay - it has the same mechanics but done with your dominant hand with a packet of cards onto your other hand - it's like flicking it through the air, causing it to rotate!

Anconda - a personal favourite, the KEY THING is to practise releasing ONE CARD AT A TIME. Do not worry about height until you can do that.

MUST LEARNS:

The best piece of advice I can give to you practise, practise, practise (with correct technique!!)

For one card flourishes like the Pirouette or Flicker, I would practise with the joker/advert cards in your deck, as you may damage/warp the other cards. Doesn't really matter if your jokers/advert cards are damaged.

Also, it is good practise to wash your hands before you pick up a deck - ideally with a soap that DOESN'T have moisturisers in it. Not too big a problem if you can't, but this will help extend the life of your deck.

That concludes this post for now, I will update it later :smile: Enjoy!

If you have any problems or questions or want to learn more flourishes then let me know :smile:

Don't aim for speed - aim for smoothness!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks for this Bude! I'm gonna start when my Bicycle deck comes in a few days:smile:
Cannot wait to get started :biggrin:

I bought the ' Bicycle Guardians Deck Playing Cards'
(edited 9 years ago)
Going to order a bicycle deck soon and get started ASAP!!! (my summer is complete):biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
When I got TheVirts deck, I was so happy, couldn't stop smiling once I opened it.

Note: new decks will be very slippery when you first open them, but after a while they'll be fine :smile: In particular, The Virts deck is VERY slippery. Probably the most slippery out of any other deck I've used, but perhaps that is an indication of excellent quality.

Original post by Red Fox
Thanks for this Bude! I'm gonna start when my Bicycle deck comes in a few days:smile:

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Cannot wait to get started :biggrin:

I bought the ' Bicycle Guardians Deck Playing Cards'

Original post by toonervoustotalk
Going to order a bicycle deck soon and get started ASAP!!! (my summer is complete):biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Music to my ears :moon:

If you can get your hands on a 12 pack Tally Ho you will have a good supply of decks for AGES.

Of course, do treat yourself with some luxury decks once in a while, my most expensive one cost me £25 :lol: Most luxury decks are about £10, usually less.

Also, see above about slippery decks :tongue:
Reply 5
My 2 Bicycle decks have arrived:biggrin:, I'm have a try tonight. Did you find yourself picking cards up off the floor a lot in the beginning? :lol:
Original post by Bude8
When I got TheVirts deck, I was so happy, couldn't stop smiling once I opened it.

Note: new decks will be very slippery when you first open them, but after a while they'll be fine :smile: In particular, The Virts deck is VERY slippery. Probably the most slippery out of any other deck I've used, but perhaps that is an indication of excellent quality.

Music to my ears :moon:

If you can get your hands on a 12 pack Tally Ho you will have a good supply of decks for AGES.

Of course, do treat yourself with some luxury decks once in a while, my most expensive one cost me £25 :lol: Most luxury decks are about £10, usually less.

Also, see above about slippery decks :tongue:
Original post by Red Fox
My 2 Bicycle decks have arrived:biggrin:, I'm have a try tonight. Did you find yourself picking cards up off the floor a lot in the beginning? :lol:

Haha yes! I recommend doing things over a table, or over your bed or something until you're comfortable. Thing is, Bicycle decks aren't even that slippery (well, compared to others) :lol: when I first opened TheVirts deck, they fell out of my hand and I was not expecting it at all.
Reply 7
Original post by Bude8
Haha yes! I recommend doing things over a table, or over your bed or something until you're comfortable. Thing is, Bicycle decks aren't even that slippery (well, compared to others) :lol: when I first opened TheVirts deck, they fell out of my hand and I was not expecting it at all.

Yeah they're really not that slippery:tongue:. I just hope I can actually pull off some flourishes with practice:redface:
Original post by Red Fox
Yeah they're really not that slippery:tongue:. I just hope I can actually pull off some flourishes with practice:redface:

Trust me, practise the essentials and basics well (talking about a month of consistent practice and you will definitely be fluid), and you'll be able to pull off great flourishes.

I'll update the first post with flourishes that I think are MUST LEARNS
Reply 9
Original post by Bude8
Trust me, practise the essentials and basics well (talking about a month of consistent practice and you will definitely be fluid), and you'll be able to pull off great flourishes.

I'll update the first post with flourishes that I think are MUST LEARNS

Alright thanks:tongue: just made a facebook so I can go on thevirts website
Original post by Red Fox
Alright thanks:tongue: just made a facebook so I can go on thevirts website

Another piece of advice: often when I teach people, they get a bit excited and don't really listen to what I taught them to do :lol:

If you bear this in mind when watching tutorials, and try to notice every detail, it will really help with learning. Like if you're doing a certain part wrong because the cards keep falling out, look at the finger positioning in the tutorials, etc.
Original post by Bude8
Another piece of advice: often when I teach people, they get a bit excited and don't really listen to what I taught them to do :lol:

If you bear this in mind when watching tutorials, and try to notice every detail, it will really help with learning. Like if you're doing a certain part wrong because the cards keep falling out, look at the finger positioning in the tutorials, etc.

Yeah don't worry I'll probably be re-watching each segment of a video about 100 times:tongue:
Think I've learnt the flicker now just need to practise it and get it looking fluid:smile:
Original post by Red Fox
Think I've learnt the flicker now just need to practise it and get it looking fluid:smile:

This is a good variation to learn :smile:
[video="youtube;4cBMQX2zAvY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cBMQX2zAvY[/video]

Oh and, TheVirts have advanced additions to the Flicker on their website, check it out :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Bude8
This is a good variation to learn :smile:
[video="youtube;4cBMQX2zAvY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cBMQX2zAvY[/video]

Oh and, TheVirts have advanced additions to the Flicker on their website, check it out :smile:

Thanks I'll check it out:redface:
1403796371375.jpg

Deck came through.
1403796371375.jpg

Deck came through.

Out of interest - do you wear your watch with its face facing the same way your palm is? :redface:

How does it feel? :lol:
Original post by Bude8
Out of interest - do you wear your watch with its face facing the same way your palm is? :redface:

How does it feel? :lol:

I do yeah :lol:

It's original :cool:

And I like having the weight on the other side, feels nice and can just flick my wrist to check the time.

Also it's less showy.

My flutter just feels poo lmao
I do yeah :lol:

It's original :cool:

And I like having the weight on the other side, feels nice and can just flick my wrist to check the time.

Also it's less showy.

My flutter just feels poo lmao

Flutter..? I meant the deck :lol:
btw, lmao = let me ask Obama
Original post by Bude8
Flutter..? I meant the deck :lol:
btw, lmao = let me ask Obama

Flicker lol, I was thinking of a butterfly

Oooooh

Yeah deck is reeeeaaaaally smooth

Quick Reply

Latest