The Student Room Group

What I wish I'd known whilst applying to University

Hi!

As a second year student at the University of Bristol I'm writing a blog all about the application process to University and what I wish I'd known when I was applying! I'll be keeping it up to date with all kinds of advice so make sure to check it out! It could be really useful for you!

http://georgiecrotty.wordpress.com/

Thanks!
That the best thing about uni are the societies and extra-curricular activities! :biggrin:
1) That life isn't a race - you don't have to go to Uni straight from school.

2) Read the books. There is no substitute.
That if I'm going to start a business that is completely unrelated to my course, then uni is a bit of a waste.
Reply 4
That the university table rating, and course reputation can go down whilst you are studying.

Good luck with the blog, but try not scare the up and coming freshers :wink:
Original post by Swanbow
That the university table rating, and course reputation can go down whilst you are studying.

Which tells you how utterly mindless the entire obsession with League Tables and RG actually is.
Reply 6
exactly! I did mention it but thinking of doing an entire post on it- it's ridiculous that people put so much prevalence on one or two places above or below and end up going somewhere that they hate!!
Reply 7
If you don't mind me asking - what grades did you get for entry onto Bristol Law?
Reply 8
Original post by returnmigrant
Which tells you how utterly mindless the entire obsession with League Tables and RG actually is.

RG?

The obsession with League Tables is taken a bit too far, and don't always paint an accurate portrait of the university. But it is annoying that some graduate employers rely on them too heavily, leaving out other considerations. My university has dropped 40 places in some tables since I started, hardly a good thing.
Reply 9
I got A*AAA and my offer was AAA - all of my other offers were the higher A*AA but I rejected them all and chose Bristol simply because I loved the city and the Law school- they tend to offer slightly lower than some other unis but the people that end up going normally get higher- many of my flat mates got A*A*A* if this helps!
Original post by Swanbow
RG?

The obsession with League Tables is taken a bit too far, and don't always paint an accurate portrait of the university. But it is annoying that some graduate employers rely on them too heavily, leaving out other considerations. My university has dropped 40 places in some tables since I started, hardly a good thing.

Which uni is that?
Original post by Armadillo
Which uni is that?

Aberystwyth. Not quite 40 now I checked it, but still a pretty big drop.
Original post by gcrotty
Hi!

As a second year student at the University of Bristol I'm writing a blog all about the application process to University and what I wish I'd known when I was applying! I'll be keeping it up to date with all kinds of advice so make sure to check it out! It could be really useful for you!

http://georgiecrotty.wordpress.com/

Thanks!

I would completely agree with your point re league tables.

I remember my school having 'The Times' league tables posted to a noticeboard in the sixth form common room.

You grow up a bit and realise they are based on some metrics that are not all that important at undergraduate level - research ratings etc and beyond university experience not grades is what counts.

The difference between Warwick, Durham, Nottingham, Bristol, KCL and half a dozen other RG unis is negligible in academics terms.
Original post by Swanbow
Aberystwyth. Not quite 40 now I checked it, but still a pretty big drop.

Hey, fellow Aberystwythian .... which year did you join? I know it's fallen quite a lot since I joined, but not sure of the extent. I arrived in Aber in 2011.
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
Hey, fellow Aberystwythian .... which year did you join? I know it's fallen quite a lot since I joined, but not sure of the extent. I arrived in Aber in 2011.

Always good to meet a fellow Aber! Started in 2010, was in the 40s in the Guardian guide if my memory serves me correct.

Not that that league tables are the be all and end all, definitely enjoyed my time there. Just a bit annoying.
Original post by Swanbow
Always good to meet a fellow Aber! Started in 2010, was in the 40s in the Guardian guide if my memory serves me correct.

Not that that league tables are the be all and end all, definitely enjoyed my time there. Just a bit annoying.

It was about 48th I think when I joined - I don't know but that number stands out to me. I do remember however hearing it was the 3rd university for student satisfaction globally
It was about 48th I think when I joined - I don't know but that number stands out to me. I do remember however hearing it was the 3rd university for student satisfaction globally

Yeah they use to do really well for student satisfaction, although the bunk bed fiasco did bring it down a bit. Still one of the 'safest' universities to study at supposedly.
Original post by Swanbow
Yeah they use to do really well for student satisfaction, although the bunk bed fiasco did bring it down a bit. Still one of the 'safest' universities to study at supposedly.

My house last year was a bunk house, but only 1 room was bunking.
My house last year was a bunk house, but only 1 room was bunking.

We had a twin room (which I was in) and a bunk room. Made for quite a busy house, not the worst of situation although we could've done with a bigger kitchen haha

Quick Reply

Latest