The Student Room Group

Why are there so few ''geeks'' girls?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
How many women in the game are used for anything other than the strip club, being the stereotype of an 'annoying wife bringing the man down' or the other stereotype of being really really fame/status hungry?
Oh. None. At least not in the main game. Sidequests are a slightly different topic, but not one of the female characters in the maingame is anything other than an annoyance or there for the male character's pleasure.

Because they are mirroring a world where women are exactly as you described? Do you expect women gangsters ? Women underworld bosses? Women godfathers (or godmothers in this case)? And if they did that by distorting reality , would women buy GTAV more than they do now? Of course not, most want to play cutesy games like SIMS, Farmville and Candy Crush. They are hardly interested in contemplating if they should use a M-16 or an AK to blow the next guy's brains. Like having a female Seals team in a COD game, almost no women would give a ****. It's a product that appeals to young men and any distortion would not increase sales in the female market.

And btw, the game is misanthrope or misandric if anything, since you can kill everyone in the game. How many times are you sent to kill women compared to men?
Reply 61
Because girls have few interests aside from obsessing over celebrities.
geeks are annoying people

boy or girl
I would bet good money that there are more geeky girls outside the south east.
Original post by Pascal678
Do you expect the game development team to always cater to your needs for female representation or something? They can make a game about whatever the hell they want, so many people blame GTA for sexist attitudes when at the end of the end its just a game...

Games use stereotypes because they are easy to understand and work well in simplifying the games linear storyline

No, I don't. And they can make a game about whatever they like.I'm not blaming GTA for sexism, I'm saying that if a game only stereotypes women and portrays them as expendable (hire a prostitute, then kill her to get your money back) then it's sexist. There's a difference between saying 'X makes people sexist' and 'X is sexist'. I understand that GTA is made up of stories based around men, but the fact is that all the women in the story are used for men's pleasure or stereotyped as being a pain in a man's backside. It wouldn't have been hard to make Tracey a bit more normal at least. Keep Amanda as a stereotype, make Tracey normal. Not hard.
Original post by DanielDr
Because they are mirroring a world where women are exactly as you described? Do you expect women gangsters ? Women underworld bosses? Women godfathers (or godmothers in this case)? And if they did that by distorting reality , would women buy GTAV more than they do now? Of course not, most want to play cutesy games like SIMS, Farmville and Candy Crush. They are hardly interested in contemplating if they should use a M-16 or an AK to blow the next guy's brains. Like having a female Seals team in a COD game, almost no women would give a ****. It's a product that appeals to young men and any distortion would not increase sales in the female market.

And btw, the game is misanthrope or misandric if anything, since you can kill everyone in the game. How many times are you sent to kill women compared to men?

I'm sure there are women gangsters. Almost certainly they're in the minority, but all the main cast of characters are men (even the stupid FIB guys and all of that lot). Just because all of the assassination missions are men doesn't mean it's not misogynistic. The men you're killing have, to the protagonists or Lester, some sort of reason behind the killing them.

The strippers and prostitutes, though, do not. There's times when the prostitutes say something along the lines of 'there used to be people who'd hire girls like us and kill them afterwards' which is hinting at you doing that. Women are portrayed as expendable and only for men's pleasure.
Original post by RtGOAT
Because girls have few interests aside from obsessing over celebrities.

so stoopid, no wonder you are still red
Also i cosign the girl who said most girls are somewhere in the middle.
I think op shouldnt have gone by the dictionary definition.
Wouldnt class most girls on this thread as geeks
lol this thread. I know some 'geeky' girls, but by the definition in the OP then most people could be called geeks :s-smilie:
Original post by matthewduncan
Also i cosign the girl who said most girls are somewhere in the middle.
I think op shouldnt have gone by the dictionary definition.
Wouldnt class most girls on this thread as geeks

This is what Tyrion and other people were talking about earlier. 'You can't be a true geek unless x'.

Please tell me what your definition of a geek is, then.
ITT - No True Scotsman
i don't really know- i would say I'm a geek girl. I play LoL and watch it (a bit too much :colondollar:), I play a lot of games like Minecraft, Gmod, Civ 5, BF3 to name a few (steam sales make me poor xD). I love Harry Potter, Dr Who, Star Wars and LOTR ect, but I've not seen Star Trek yet...and I want to study computer science at uni. It annoys me how there are so few girls who are like me xD
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 72
I'm sure there are women gangsters. Almost certainly they're in the minority, but all the main cast of characters are men (even the stupid FIB guys and all of that lot). Just because all of the assassination missions are men doesn't mean it's not misogynistic. The men you're killing have, to the protagonists or Lester, some sort of reason behind the killing them.

The strippers and prostitutes, though, do not. There's times when the prostitutes say something along the lines of 'there used to be people who'd hire girls like us and kill them afterwards' which is hinting at you doing that. Women are portrayed as expendable and only for men's pleasure.

Everyone is expandable in the game, nobody's life is worth ****. And men are much more often the targets. So why just focus on the women? Actually this reminds me of a thread I recently saw on a feminists forum. They were discussing about how annoyed they are with the ISIS. Do you think it was because of the thousands of men they've driven into the desert and executed in the last few months? No. It was because the ISIS wants women to dress modestly. Like H. Clinton saying women are the primary victims of war. Some people are so cocooned from real life that they see any interference with their perfect life as an unspeakable tragedy.

Please, just get it.
I think there's a few reasons for this
-Things that are associated with "geek" culture aren't typically feminine
-Whilst a lot of males have exclusively "geeky" hobbies, females with "geeky" hobbies aren't exclusively into those things
-There's a lot of "geek" girls who see it as a fad.
-You also have "legbeards", the female equivalent of a neckbeard (that's not made up BTW)

Also, the misogynistic attitude of some male "geeks", push women away form "geek" culture.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'd consider myself a geek then. I love gaming, MMO's (WoW, GW2, minecraft etc) and single player games. Skyrim/GTA V/All things Pokemon. I'm also really into Star Trek and other Sci-Fi, such as Star Wars, Doctor Who etc. I also love Harry Potter and LOTR.
They're boring and self righteous
This is what Tyrion and other people were talking about earlier. 'You can't be a true geek unless x'.

Please tell me what your definition of a geek is, then.

A nerd who is bullied,Someone that has extremely weird hobbies,Someone who you laugh at for having no confidence or swagger and is well just a geek.Someone who in school is quiet and is extremely into their education who hangs around with other geeks. Some one who is extremely timid
Personally I like what I like cos I like it. Not to try and fit in some kind of geek culture. I like playing video games and I also like to do exercise and keep fit. Screw what anyone else thinks etc.

Is there a word for someone who just doesn't really fit in any social group?
I see threads like this and wonder, why does anybody give a ****?
Need to just look in the right place for them tbh. They're out there.

They're just not where you're looking.

Quick Reply

Latest