The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

How much do you spend? (graphic design and illustration)

Hello, I have just finished a foundation in art and design at DeMontfort University and I am doing graphic design and illustration at Loughborough university.

I was wondering (as an estimate) how much money you tend to spend on a graphic design course per year on materials, books, printing etc???

Also, are there any essential materials which I should stock up on before I start the course in September?

Also if you're currently/have done the course at Loughborough, do they give a kit/materials list that is required for the course; and how much does this normally cost?
Hey, I don't know the answer to any of your questions (although I'd be interested in finding out the answers) but I thought I'd just say i'm taking Graphic Communication and Illustration at Loughborough this year too :smile:
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
Original post by chugoku
Hey, I don't know the answer to any of your questions (although I'd be interested in finding out the answers) but I thought I'd just say i'm taking Graphic Communication and Illustration at Loughborough this year too :smile:

Nice! I was wondering how much things cost on average as they didn't really say anything about materials on the open days or open house sessions; as my foundation degree did the same and I ended up spending on materials throughout the year (which I don't mind but I would have liked a rough estimate) :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by chugoku

can i see your portfolio
Hi, I'm doing graphic communication at Loughborough this year too! :biggrin: I just spent £340ish on the equipment that was on the list I was given. I'm pretty sure you would have received the list by now but just to be sure, here is the list I was sent:

1 x Good quality set of water colours

4 x waterproof coloured inks (one black) and a dip pen

A selection of graphite sticks and charcoals (willow and compressed)

A selection of pencils from HB to 6B

1 x Putty rubber 1 x Eraser

1 x Stanley knife

Masking tape

Set of Windsor and Newton Sceptre (or similar) brushes from No.6 to No.14

(a mixture of rounds and flats would be good)

1 x drawing board size A2 but add at least an inch all round

1 x A2 cartridge drawing pads

Sketchbook (A4 or A3)

1 x A2 layout pad

1 x steel straight edge rule to cut against (as long as possible) 1 x tool box to put equipment in!

1 x Black marker fat

1 x Black marker thin

Coloured markers A few primary colours will do. (eg. Staedtler Triplus Fineliners and Fibertips) or coloured pencils (Aquarelle are best)

Sellotape

Scissors

Large 60 degree set square

Cutting mat (A3)

Scalpel (Swann Morton) and blades (10A)

USB Memory Stick at least 8GB Flash Drive (Amazon.co.uk have some very cheap deals)

A Cloud storage account of at least 1GB. Try a free one like Dropbox.com, Google Drive, SkyDrive, etc.

Hope this helps!! Suppose I will see you soon! :biggrin:

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending