The Student Room Group

Excel Help - IF function

I'm trying to set up an excel sheet which can help predict how many people will click on an advert depending on whether or not the adverts are targeted, and whether or it put a tracking cookie on the user to show that ad more frequently in the future.

The rows in question are:

7: the base click-through-rate
8: YES/NO list option for targeted ads (which if Yes, should act as a 4x multiplier on the Actual click-through rate)
9: YES/NO list option for tracking cookies (which if Yes, should act as a 2.5x multiplier on the Actual click-through rate)
10: Actual click-through rate)

So there are two factors to affect the actual click through rate (row 10).

Any help really appreciated!

(I got the Targeted Ads multiplier working, but I don't know how to add a second IF to the cell).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by XMaramena
I'm trying to set up an excel sheet which can help predict how many people will click on an advert depending on whether or not the adverts are targeted, and whether or it put a tracking cookie on the user to show that ad more frequently in the future.

The rows in question are:

7: the base click-through-rate
8: YES/NO list option for targeted ads (which if Yes, should act as a 4x multiplier on the Actual click-through rate)
9: YES/NO list option for tracking cookies (which if Yes, should act as a 2.5x multiplier on the Actual click-through rate)
10: Actual click-through rate)

So there are two factors to affect the actual click through rate (row 10).

Any help really appreciated!

(I got the Targeted Ads multiplier working, but I don't know how to add a second IF to the cell).

Assuming your values are in column B for example (so cells B7 - B9 for the above), try putting the following formula in B10:

=IF(B8="Yes",4,1)*IF(B9="Yes",2.5,1)*B7
Reply 2
Original post by davros
Assuming your values are in column B for example (so cells B7 - B9 for the above), try putting the following formula in B10:

=IF(B8="Yes",4,1)*IF(B9="Yes",2.5,1)*B7

Thank you, it worked!

Now I need to have another cell that automatically varies between 0, 10, 20, 40 and 45 depending on net profit to calculate income tax.

*scratches head*
Reply 3
Thank you, it worked!

Now I need to have another cell that automatically varies between 0, 10, 20, 40 and 45 depending on net profit to calculate income tax.

*scratches head*

Could do this with multiple IF statements again, or with a VLOOKUP and inexact matching.

What are your rules for calculating income tax?
Reply 4
Original post by davros
Could do this with multiple IF statements again, or with a VLOOKUP and inexact matching.

What are your rules for calculating income tax?

B22 is net profit before tax
B23 is net profit after tax
B24 is the tax band - at the moment with data validation list to choose from 10%, 20%, 40% or 45%.

B23 already automatically changes with the tax band selected, but I need the tax to change automatically according to the value of B22, rather than just select it from a drop down list.

The rules are quite complex:

0-2880 = 10%
2880.01 - 32010 = 20%
32010.01 - 150000 = 40%
150000.01+ = 45%

However, it does not tax until £10,000 profit is reached.
After £10,000 reached, tax increases by £1 for every £2 earned until the band maximum percentage is reached.

Maybe I'm just more rubbish with excel than I thought, but this makes my head explode!
Reply 5
B22 is net profit before tax
B23 is net profit after tax
B24 is the tax band - at the moment with data validation list to choose from 10%, 20%, 40% or 45%.

B23 already automatically changes with the tax band selected, but I need the tax to change automatically according to the value of B22, rather than just select it from a drop down list.

The rules are quite complex:

0-2880 = 10%
2880.01 - 32010 = 20%
32010.01 - 150000 = 40%
150000.01+ = 45%

However, it does not tax until £10,000 profit is reached.
After £10,000 reached, tax increases by £1 for every £2 earned until the band maximum percentage is reached.

Maybe I'm just more rubbish with excel than I thought, but this makes my head explode!

It's a bit late for me to be thinking, but are these rules supposed to be consistent?

It doesn't look like those rules would all work together unless I'm being dumb!
Reply 6
those are the rules - and yes, I'm still slightly confused by the 0-2880 combined with the no tax until 10,000 thing myself.

It's because of this "Personal Allowance" deal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending