The Student Room Group

Why do people hate being told the truth?

Scroll to see replies

"Why do people hate being told the truth?"
"THE TRUTH!!! YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!"

Seriously though, telling the truth makes you a good friend. But as another poster has said, if you could be more tactful, they would appriciate it even more. Lying only hurts everyone in the longer term.
This thread reminds me of this:

People want the truth to be a compliment about them so when you tell them the truth but it doesn't fit in this category they get upset. Pretty sad really.
I was going to make a similar thread, but found this one (so sorry for bumping an old thread).

Personally, I want to be told the truth, but people 'try to be nice', which is much worse because you can't correct any misunderstandings. (Not that this happens to me often). I think it's better to just tell people the truth - they may have an impulse to hate you in the short term, but they should thank you in the long term.

Obviously, there is a nice way to say anything.
Some people can't deliver the truth well, and some people can't handle the truth.

Also, the difficulty in telling the difference between a harsh truth and an insult.
What do you expect from women, OP?
Reply 26
Because we as humans have a superiority complex where we belive we are perfect so having our flaws pointed out is a bitter pill to swallow

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest