The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C0balt
The problem is I will have had to decide uni and college by October :facepalm:
I haven't looked at them yet. Just a rough idea like not too big and fairly accessible to physics/chemistry places lol
I should get that started first then :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Get online and have a little short list - it would be worth seeing a couple whenever you can make it. If you can make the July open days for the university as a whole, please try to! It will be worth it, and thousands of other students visiting will also be taking days off school. It's an excellent chance to talk to staff and students and get all your questions answered, as well as looking at the department and colleges. :smile:
Original post by Paralove
May I recommend Newnham :wink:

Its definitely one I'm considering :tongue:
Original post by enaayrah
Its definitely one I'm considering :tongue:

YAY! I'm a current Newnhamite - if you have questions, whether it be facilities, accommodation, location, people, funds, etc etc, fire away! :biggrin:
YAY! I'm a current Newnhamite - if you have questions, whether it be facilities, accommodation, location, people, funds, etc etc, fire away! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is the application process like?

Is it relatively close to the science faculties? Walking for a long time becomes painful when you have so many things to carry!
Original post by C0balt
The problem is I will have had to decide uni and college by October :facepalm:
I haven't looked at them yet. Just a rough idea like not too big and fairly accessible to physics/chemistry places lol
I should get that started first then :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can also just visit Cambridge and wander around the colleges you are considering. Most porters will let you in if you tell them you are applying to Cambridge. You probably won't be able to see the private areas (e.g. accommodation) but you will get a feel for the place. The world behind the college walls is quite different to the touristy/hectic outside spaces.
Is it relatively close to the science faculties? Walking for a long time becomes painful when you have so many things to carry!

As far as I'm aware, the sciences departments are spread out a bit but I've heard science-y friends talking about the West Cambridge site. It's probably a 10 min cycle from Newnham, as are other departments near the centre - everything in Cambridge is pretty close. The place you have lectures, labs etc varies depending on module I think but try and hunt down a natsci from last year's thread/on the offer holders one - I do MML and as such everything for me is on the Sidgwick site opposite college :tongue:
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

What is the application process like?

Well this link gives the general process - http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying

But what specifically do you want to know?
Original post by nurav11
Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know if you're this desperate to do bio and A2 FM but take a gap year and teach yourself the modules? Or maybe even in school with the year belows? I dunno if that's even possible but might be an option :smile:

Hm yeah I might do something similar- I figured the not-doing-FM thing probably doesn't disadvantage me at application (as I'm doing another science) but def will if I (ever) get in so I'm thinking about teaching myself the extra maths I need over summer. Thank you :redface:
As far as I'm aware, the sciences departments are spread out a bit but I've heard science-y friends talking about the West Cambridge site. It's probably a 10 min cycle from Newnham, as are other departments near the centre - everything in Cambridge is pretty close. The place you have lectures, labs etc varies depending on module I think but try and hunt down a natsci from last year's thread/on the offer holders one - I do MML and as such everything for me is on the Sidgwick site opposite college :tongue:

Well this link gives the general process - http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying

But what specifically do you want to know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

About the type of grades /ums Cambridge expects from a student.What the interview is like.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

About the type of grades /ums Cambridge expects from a student.What the interview is like.

For which subject?
Standard offer is A*AA for humanities and A*A*A for sciences. So they basically need to see evidence that you have the potential to achieve that. High UMS at AS is one key indicator they look for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

This really varies by subject. There are no specific GCSE requirements, and the A-Level grades are A*A*A for sciences (apart from PBS) and A*AA for arts. The higher your UMS score, the better chance you have of getting in, and the average applicant has 90% average for UMS, the average offer holder 95% - BUT this in no way means having lower will mean you won't get in, and most people who have around 88%+ get interviews.

Some courses have entrance tests (see the relevant info on the course page, as the type varies by course and college), some want you to send in essays that you have done whilst doing AS/A2.

The interview experience is individual to the person often, and the type of interview you get varies by subject - for MML I had to read a small passage prior to my interview, for sciences they'll have you work through problems. They don't expect you to know the answer necessarily, they want to see how you think and try to tackle it. The interview is very much like a supervision, and you should treat it as such IMO. It is an opportunity not only for the academics to see if you will fit the system of teaching, but for you to see of you will too.

Anything missed?

That's so lucky :tongue:

I think the labs would be fairly spread out in the first year because I'd be choosing quite a mix of subjects. In the second year I'd be doing mainly chemistry/biochemistry so that narrows it a little. I'll have a closer look at the map

Thanks for your help :biggrin:

Oh, and something really embarrassing, I don't know how to ride a bike :colondollar: My parents didn't teach me beyond training wheels :frown:

I think the labs would be fairly spread out in the first year because I'd be choosing quite a mix of subjects. In the second year I'd be doing mainly chemistry/biochemistry so that narrows it a little. I'll have a closer look at the map

Oh, and something really embarrassing, I don't know how to ride a bike :colondollar: My parents didn't teach me beyond training wheels :frown:

The phys natsci, and pretty sure the bio natsci on twitter (search #CambTweet) are Newnham too, so send them a tweet if you're on twitter!!

Ah... A bike is a near on essential part of being at Cambridge if you need a quick way to get places (also ideal for shopping, Sainsburys is a 15 min walk from college). I would really advise that, should you get in, you learn to! It's easy enough once you have the hang of it! :biggrin:
The phys natsci, and pretty sure the bio natsci on twitter (search #CambTweet) are Newnham too, so send them a tweet if you're on twitter!!

Ah... A bike is a near on essential part of being at Cambridge if you need a quick way to get places (also ideal for shopping, Sainsburys is a 15 min walk from college). I would really advise that, should you get in, you learn to! It's easy enough once you have the hang of it! :biggrin:

I do plan on learning in the summer after Year 13 if I get an offer :tongue:

And thanks, I'll have a look on Twitter
Reply 2454

Only physics, materials and compsci practicals are in West Cambridge for IA. The rest are in Downing/New Museums or the Dept. of Chemistry on Lensfield Road.
Any aspiring Architecture students here?:colondollar:

What subjects are you studying?
What college are you thinking of applying to?
Are you worried about not meeting the A*AA entry requirement?
Have you started gathering ideas for your portfolio?
Original post by alow
Only physics, materials and compsci practicals are in West Cambridge for IA. The rest are in Downing/New Museums or the Dept. of Chemistry on Lensfield Road.

Ah okay, it's very unlikely that I'll be doing those anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How's everyone revision going.Revising C1 now since that's the first exam up.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

How's everyone revision going.Revising C1 now since that's the first exam up.

Waiting to get my biol2 mock back so I can see where I'm going wrong etc. Then start some full on revision across all my subjects :tongue:

I have Task 3 of the EMPA on the same day as the C1 exam :erm: My friend also has his history exam on that day :lol:
Waiting to get my biol2 mock back so I can see where I'm going wrong etc. Then start some full on revision across all my subjects :tongue:

I have Task 3 of the EMPA on the same day as the C1 exam :erm: My friend also has his history exam on that day :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unlucky.What are the exams that worry you the most? For me it's the physics and maths ones,since my weakest grades were in them.

Latest

Trending

Trending