The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Niceeee

You liking the bio of Cells?

Cells started out kind of boring but I just had my first real biochem lecture today (macromolecules) :sogood:
Original post by alow
Yeah MatSci is supposedly the sensible choice, according to my DoS :tongue:

Oh so why did you pick cells instead? 'Cause you like biochem? :biggrin:

And one question, I see you often say you don't have olympiad under your belt etc but without nothing like these what do you think made you stand out from thousands of applicants, many of them with these awards and work experience etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alow
Cells started out kind of boring but I just had my first real biochem lecture today (macromolecules) :sogood:

Oooooooooh sounds good
Original post by C0balt
Oh so why did you pick cells instead? 'Cause you like biochem? :biggrin:

And one question, I see you often say you don't have olympiad under your belt etc but without nothing like these what do you think made you stand out from thousands of applicants, many of them with these awards and work experience etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need work experience for Cambridge and whilst good Olympiad performance helps it is nowhere near essential. The main thing is high UMS and good interview performance. It is a competition to be the best not to "stand out".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Will they take into account that my UMS for Japanese may not be particularly high as it is mainly taken by fluent candidates and is extremely difficult?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by femi1
Economics
Maths
Politics
History

I'd like to study Economics at Cambridge.

why no further maths?
Reply 926
Original post by groovyd97
why no further maths?

Further Maths isn't essential, I've had a change of mind and I'll probably end up applying for international relations now.
Original post by femi1
Further Maths isn't essential, I've had a change of mind and I'll probably end up applying for international relations now.

For economics, further maths isn't 'essential' but I'd say it wouldn't do your chances of getting in any good (providing your school offer it) since Cambridge's economics course is very mathematical.

Anyway, I'm doing Maths, FM, Chemistry and Economics with an Economics EPQ this year. I'm aiming for economics (but I think my firm would be LSE, since I've personally always wanted to go there and I think it'd suit me better).

Anyone else got any other unis which they'd put over Cambridge? (I would still bite your hand off for Cambs mind!)
Reply 928
Original post by Ecconomist
For economics, further maths isn't 'essential' but I'd say it wouldn't do your chances of getting in any good (providing your school offer it) since Cambridge's economics course is very mathematical.

Anyway, I'm doing Maths, FM, Chemistry and Economics with an Economics EPQ this year. I'm aiming for economics (but I think my firm would be LSE, since I've personally always wanted to go there and I think it'd suit me better).

Anyone else got any other unis which they'd put over Cambridge? (I would still bite your hand off for Cambs mind!)

Are you doing OCR Economics?
Original post by femi1
Are you doing OCR Economics?

Yes.

We're doing exactly the same subjects!! :tongue: Although I'd firm Cambridge over LSE any day :wink:
Hi guys!
I want to do economics in London school of economics/ cambridge/ oxford. Im in the first year of my IB diploma programme, in chennai, India. I will graduate in May 2016. I want to know, what should I do to get a definite admission?
My subjects are

HL- math, physics, economics
SL- CS, French, english lit

I am confused between ITGS and CS. Which one should I take. Which one does the unis prefer?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Saikrishna
Hi guys!
I want to do economics in London school of economics/ cambridge/ oxford. Im in the first year of my IB diploma programme, in chennai, India. I will graduate in May 2016. I want to know, what should I do to get a definite admission?
My subjects are

HL- math, physics, economics
SL- CS, French, english lit

I am confused between ITGS and CS. Which one should I take. Which one does the unis prefer?

Sorry can't help much but I can say that Oxford don't do pure economics but do economics & management instead. There are no set things to do to get a definite admission, even more so with economics (places about 1:12 at LSE).
Sorry can't help much but I can say that Oxford don't do pure economics but do economics & management instead. There are no set things to do to get a definite admission, even more so with economics (places about 1:12 at LSE).

What bout the ITGS and CS?
Original post by Saikrishna
What bout the ITGS and CS?

I haven't heard of these qualifications before. If you look on LSE's and Cambridge's website, that will hopefully inform you as to what qualifications they look for or maybe even respect more (they should both be recognised since they are both international universities).

But it looks as if you have taken a strong subject combination aside from the CS / ITGS decision. May I ask if you could do Further Maths at your college?
Finally, a 2016 thread! Now I don't feel so alone stalking the 2015 applicant posts :biggrin:
I'm interested in studying Middle Eastern Studies (With the focus on Arabic) and for AS I'm taking:

Spanish
Philosophy & Ethics
Biology
Modern History

I'm interested in Cambridge because of my below average GCSE's (6 A*'s even though I was with three marks from getting two extra A*'s) for an Oxford application so I'm hoping that good UMS marks will redeem me!
My head of sixth form is the OCR economics principal examiner 😊
Hello everyone :smile: So happy to see that I'm not the only one concerned with getting into uni already :biggrin:
I'm an international student with interest to study Natural Sciences, biological preferably, is there anyone else interested in that as well here?
I'm also an IB student, with Bio, Chem and English B on HL, do you think it's suitable for NatSci, without HL maths? It's on SL to me.
Original post by Stargazer S.
Hello everyone :smile: So happy to see that I'm not the only one concerned with getting into uni already :biggrin:
I'm an international student with interest to study Natural Sciences, biological preferably, is there anyone else interested in that as well here?
I'm also an IB student, with Bio, Chem and English B on HL, do you think it's suitable for NatSci, without HL maths? It's on SL to me.

Hey, I'm an international student hoping for bionatsci as well! I'm not doing the IB, but I do bio, chem, math and econs at HL (or A2) level. I think it's okay to do math at SL level, since you're going into bionatsci, and SL math is a pretty decent foundation.
A level subjects I want to take:
French (I'm fluent so it's easy)
English Literature
Music

Haven't decided my fourth...

Latest

Trending

Trending