The Student Room Group

Forearm hurting from lifting

Basically I was stupid to lift too heavy like nearly a year ago to try to make my forearm bigger. I had to stop lifting since it led to cramp in my elbow, that cramp has now gone away after nearly a year but my forearm muscles are still sore when I work on them.
Is there anyway I can heal the muscles in my forearm quicker so I can get back to lifting as soon as possible. I hate being skinny as I can't lift, it's mentally annoying.

Scroll to see replies

Do you not think an appointment with a GP would be the better route, instead of asking unqualified students on the internet?
First of all. Don't rush this sort of stuff. It's the same as painting a masterpiece. If you rush it, it'll look rubbish. Take your time, develop slowly and if your body is telling you to stop (i.e. you're in pain), listen to it.

You can try basic exercises like getting light dumbbells and doing light forearm exercises everyday. Nothing too strenuous but you'll gradually gain enough strength to get back lifting what you should be lifting. Never over train, I've seen people go from being 18 stone beasts, to 14 stone girls in a matter of a year because they made a stupid mistake in the gym and lost all of their hard work.

Easy does it! It's not a race!
Reply 3
Original post by Michael!
First of all. Don't rush this sort of stuff. It's the same as painting a masterpiece. If you rush it, it'll look rubbish. Take your time, develop slowly and if your body is telling you to stop (i.e. you're in pain), listen to it.

You can try basic exercises like getting light dumbbells and doing light forearm exercises everyday. Nothing too strenuous but you'll gradually gain enough strength to get back lifting what you should be lifting. Never over train, I've seen people go from being 18 stone beasts, to 14 stone girls in a matter of a year because they made a stupid mistake in the gym and lost all of their hard work.

Easy does it! It's not a race!

Thing is it hurts right now when I bend my elbow and type, and i'm not lifting as suggested atm? What can I do about it :/
Reply 4
A year ago? Wat?
lol i have that problem as well. It's all the tendons in my right forearm as well as tricep close to my elbow.

Very irritating as I have to take it very easy when working out or it becomes very painful. Been like that since I was 16.
Original post by kumon

forearm hurting from lifting

Yeah.... "Lifting"

Do different stretches to help it recover.
I'm not sure about using weights to help though, maybe someone else on here can enlighten you on the topic?
Reply 8
Original post by wingsofchicken
lol i have that problem as well. It's all the tendons in my right forearm as well as tricep close to my elbow.

Very irritating as I have to take it very easy when working out or it becomes very painful. Been like that since I was 16.

How will you heal it?
You're a skinny, weak guy who gets sore when he goes to the gym? This surprises you? As for your tennis elbow, stop doing 20 sets of cheat curls.
Reply 10
Original post by SEHughes
You're a skinny, weak guy who gets sore when he goes to the gym? This surprises you? As for your tennis elbow, stop doing 20 sets of cheat curls.

any massages or something to help heal faster + how long does it take?
Reply 11
See a physiotherapist and/or youtube + google strengthening exercises to do
Reply 12
Original post by ljoshl91
See a physiotherapist and/or youtube + google strengthening exercises to do

I read im meant to rest it for like a year and massage it isn't lifting bad on an injury?, link me some strengthening exercises please? :smile:
Original post by kumon
I read im meant to rest it for like a year and massage it isn't lifting bad on an injury?, link me some strengthening exercises please? :smile:

Back up a bit. Tell us your age, height, weight, and the workouts you were doing when you starting getting this pain in your elbow.
Reply 14
Back up a bit. Tell us your age, height, weight, and the workouts you were doing when you starting getting this pain in your elbow.

18 5ft8 and 58kg...as you can tell I want to bulk but can't since I can't lift with this damn injury.

I used to lift stupidly heavy dumbell and do forearm raisers, by putting the weight on the ground and my elbow on the ground and lifting it using my forearm strength, I did that for like 1 month and put all that strain on my elbow tendons. It ****ed it up.
I couldn't really grip things without pain for like a month, I rubbed oil into it and over 6 months it subsided. I stopped rubbing oil into it after these 6 months.

Since then I tried bicep curls but the pain came back ( a lot less but it's still there and you can feel your forearm muscle connected to your elbow and the muscle above your elbow moving)

So now i'm not doing any workout since then, the pain went away after I stopped, but now it came back since I tried again and it hurts slightly when I type this or keep it in a bent position, but it's nearly been a year and it shouldn't happen should it? :gah: I heard it can take 2 years, but I want to heal it faster.
Any ideas on how to solve this problem?
Reply 15
Original post by kumon

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=physiotherapy+forearm
If it's been a year then you really should have seen a GP/physio sooner.
Reply 17

Thanks, but isn;t it linked with my elbow tendons which hurt as well
Original post by InsertWittyName
If it's been a year then you really should have seen a GP/physio sooner.

THing is it doesn't hurt anyway near as much, only a lot less. I'll go once it becomes 1 year, I just wanted to see if I could heal it without going under the knife :smile:
Do you do anything that's not a bicep or forearm curl?
Reply 19
Do you do anything that's not a bicep or forearm curl?

Just what I described by keeping my elbow on the floor and lifitng which ****ed it up.
Any idea brah? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest