The Student Room Group

Particle physics extended project

I want to do my extended project on something to do with particle astrophysics such as neutrinos or the standard model but I'm not sure how to make a title and what specifically to do it on. Any ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Or to do with dark matter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Is this a university project? What exactly do you need to do for the project?
In the past I did some research on dark matter detection through modifications to the total solar neutrino flux. I would be happy to explain to you, at a suitable level. Is that the kind of thing you are looking for?

Original post by Andromeda2.5
I want to do my extended project on something to do with particle astrophysics such as neutrinos or the standard model but I'm not sure how to make a title and what specifically to do it on. Any ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Literally do it on The Higgs Boson and The Standard Model, I'm doing a similar thing for a competition for UCL and this is mine so far, it basically writes itself and there's a lot about it, but the only annoying thing is sifting through advanced sources and easier to get your head around sources, anyway here's mine so far :smile:

The Higgs Boson and the Standard Model
By Aaron Green

Introduction
The following is a story of 12 fundamental building blocks that make up everything that you have ever observed, experienced or heard of and its relationship to arguably the most important and incredible discovery made by physicists of the 21st century.
It is a story of creation, battle, trial, triumph, success, and pure brilliance, and it all begins with something called The Standard Model, which until a discovery on July the 4th of July 2012 was made, nearly became a disproven model, but the question is, what is The Standard Model?

What is The Standard Model?
Twelve matter particles: 6 quarks; 6 leptons and a group of force-carrying particles to hold them all together. That’s The Standard Model of particle physics. [1](The Particle at the End of the Universe, Sean Carroll, p.11) The collection of these fundamental particles and the “bosons” that interact with them are responsible for everything you’ve ever experienced, but without the inclusion of a very specific part called “The Higgs Mechanism” none of it would be possible.
Let’s just explain a little bit about those bosons. There’s quite a few of them predicted by The Standard Model. There’s the gluon, which is responsible for the strong interaction, the virtual photon, which is responsible for the electromagnetic interaction (which is probably the one you observe the most in your everyday lives), the W-, W+ and Z0 bosons, which are responsible for the weak interaction, the graviton? (The question mark is because we haven’t really found it yet), which is responsible for gravity and the Higgs boson, but we’ll talk about that one later. These bosons are collectively responsible for every force that you experience in the world, and in actuality, the Universe. Friction as an example, is just
Original post by DeltaCube
Literally do it on The Higgs Boson and The Standard Model, I'm doing a similar thing for a competition for UCL and this is mine so far, it basically writes itself and there's a lot about it, but the only annoying thing is sifting through advanced sources and easier to get your head around sources, anyway here's mine so far :smile:

By Aaron Green

Introduction
The following is a story of 12 fundamental building blocks that make up everything that you have ever observed, experienced or heard of and its relationship to arguably the most important and incredible discovery made by physicists of the 21st century.
It is a story of creation, battle, trial, triumph, success, and pure brilliance, and it all begins with something called The Standard Model, which until a discovery on July the 4th of July 2012 was made, nearly became a disproven model, but the question is, what is The Standard Model?

Twelve matter particles: 6 quarks; 6 leptons and a group of force-carrying particles to hold them all together. That’s The Standard Model of particle physics. [1](The Particle at the End of the Universe, Sean Carroll, p.11) The collection of these fundamental particles and the “bosons” that interact with them are responsible for everything you’ve ever experienced, but without the inclusion of a very specific part called “The Higgs Mechanism” none of it would be possible.
Let’s just explain a little bit about those bosons. There’s quite a few of them predicted by The Standard Model. There’s the gluon, which is responsible for the strong interaction, the virtual photon, which is responsible for the electromagnetic interaction (which is probably the one you observe the most in your everyday lives), the W-, W+ and Z0 bosons, which are responsible for the weak interaction, the graviton? (The question mark is because we haven’t really found it yet), which is responsible for gravity and the Higgs boson, but we’ll talk about that one later. These bosons are collectively responsible for every force that you experience in the world, and in actuality, the Universe. Friction as an example, is just

Made an error though since the standard model and graviton are not linked
Reply 6
Original post by jpowell
Is this a university project? What exactly do you need to do for the project?

It's a 5,000 word essay on anything of your choice. I'm just starting A2 and it counts as an AS qualification

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by WishingChaff
In the past I did some research on dark matter detection through modifications to the total solar neutrino flux. I would be happy to explain to you, at a suitable level. Is that the kind of thing you are looking for?

Yes please. I've chosen my titles statement as 'Critical evaluation of the search for dark matter' so I'll explain different ways we are searching for dark matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by DeltaCube

By Aaron Green

Introduction

That's sounds so good. Once you've finished I would love to read it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cosmological expansion is a really cool topic, I did my coursework on it.
Reply 10
I'm also in the same position, might do something with Chaos Inflation Theory or 'Do heavier objects fall faster than lighter object?'.
Are you familiar with the phenomena known as neutrino oscillations?

Yes please. I've chosen my titles statement as 'Critical evaluation of the search for dark matter' so I'll explain different ways we are searching for dark matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,I would love to hear about your findings-can you please get in touch.

Quick Reply

Latest