The Student Room Group

Help THEY WANT TO CHANGE MY UNI OFFER

hi,

I am a gap year student and I got an offer to UCL to study CompSci. My offer was conditional to me obtaining an A in Physics a level but now they are saying that I need to obtain an A in Further Maths. I wouldhave sat FM exams if it was announced in my offer letter In april. its now the end of exam season and I brutally sat my physics exams for UCL to read this?

what should I do? I really want this course, but how can they expect me to sit it now?

I did announce on my UCAS application that I have an a in AS Further maths...they may have misread that as an A in FM but still, I thought that they were considering the fact that I did all my a levels independently.

what should I do?

as a gap year student abroad I spent so much money to go back to england just to take my physics exams
Reply 1
Call them ASAP and speak to someone in the admission department, it could simply be a slight oversight that they made while reviewing you application to them. If not them you need to find a back up uni that will take you on.
Original post by steph2k10
Call them ASAP and speak to someone in the admission department, it could simply be a slight oversight that they made while reviewing you application to them. If not them you need to find a back up uni that will take you on.

yes I will as soon as shops open here so that i can buy an international calling card.

I have an unconditional to KCL but I had my heart set on UCL. Can they really half read my application, give me an offer and now when its the end of exams give me a different offer?

thanks
admissions officers is out of office

omg can comeone else give me more advice? has anyone been in this kind of situation?

Can they really change the offer once i've firmed it? I did put I have in A in FM with only 3 modules so they shouldve noticed that this was just an AS, right?
bump

they retracted my offer.

they misread my application
Original post by constance2013
bump

they retracted my offer.

they misread my application

All is good then? :smile:
You misled them I guess.
Original post by Old_Simon
You misled them I guess.

I never entered that I have the whole A in GCE FM. only that I have a cashed-in A in AS FM with 3 modules; which can only be AS
Reply 8
By retract you mean back to an A in physics or?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can they really change the offer once i've firmed it? I did put I have in A in FM with only 3 modules so they shouldve noticed that this was just an AS, right?

No, anyone can enter up to all six of their modules or none at all. Therefore they would assume that you have done a level further maths (6 modules) but only wanted to declare 3 of the modules on your form. Basically you have lied (even if not intentionally) on your ucas form so when a university finds this out they can change or withdraw their offers. Sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by mjohnson29
No, anyone can enter up to all six of their modules or none at all. Therefore they would assume that you have done a level further maths (6 modules) but only wanted to declare 3 of the modules on your form. Basically you have lied (even if not intentionally) on your ucas form so when a university finds this out they can change or withdraw their offers. Sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed. I remember last year when I did my UCAS you have to choose first if your subject is AS or full A Level and THEN choose the subject, and then type in the grades if memory serves me. If I remember correctly, (I do CIE, assuming its the same to the OPs exam board when declaring on UCAS) you have to enter your AS and A2 separately under two different lines, eg A in AS bio , and then add a new qualification, then put in A in A level biology.

Essentially it will seem on UCAS that they are two completely different qualifications with the same subject name biology for example, 1 with AS in front and the other A Level.

Therefore if the OP put down A level FM , intentionally or not, it is a lie and therefore they can take away the offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bomb
Agreed. I remember last year when I did my UCAS you have to choose first if your subject is AS or full A Level and THEN choose the subject, and then type in the grades if memory serves me. If I remember correctly, (I do CIE, assuming its the same to the OPs exam board when declaring on UCAS) you have to enter your AS and A2 separately under two different lines, eg A in AS bio , and then add a new qualification, then put in A in A level biology.

Essentially it will seem on UCAS that they are two completely different qualifications with the same subject name biology for example, 1 with AS in front and the other A Level.

Therefore if the OP put down A level FM , intentionally or not, it is a lie and therefore they can take away the offer

Posted from TSR Mobile

really? but all my other universities such as Cambridge and imperial both realized that I have an A in AS FM and not the whole thing.

how can you specify if it was AS or A2? You could only enter that it was GCE Advanced level Mathematics (further)...There were no options for AS or A2
Reply 12
really? but all my other universities such as Cambridge and imperial both realized that I have an A in AS FM and not the whole thing.

how can you specify if it was AS or A2? You could only enter that it was GCE Advanced level Mathematics (further)...There were no options for AS or A2

Therefore I said if the other exam boards are the same with CIE. For us we have to choose if it is AS or A2 for each subject before we enter our grades, and are required to enter as two separate lines if we done full A levels, ine for AS and the other for A2. It might be different for your case but I would think that admission tutors have seen such a situation a lot of times,so it is unlikely for them to make such a mistake. How do you know how Cambridge and Imperial sees it and did this only happen in Fm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13

You put it in as an Advanced Subsidiary.

Yes there was. A2 = Advanced Level and AS = Advanced Subsidiary.
Original post by Bomb
Therefore I said if the other exam boards are the same with CIE. For us we have to choose if it is AS or A2 for each subject before we enter our grades, and are required to enter as two separate lines if we done full A levels, ine for AS and the other for A2. It might be different for your case but I would think that admission tutors have seen such a situation a lot of times,so it is unlikely for them to make such a mistake. How do you know how Cambridge and Imperial sees it and did this only happen in Fm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

they told me when I went for an interview.

I don't understand...there was no way to specify between AS and A2

I was told the I need to enter my AS FM as they were cashed in and the others as pending
they told me when I went for an interview.

I don't understand...there was no way to specify between AS and A2

I was told the I need to enter my AS FM as they were cashed in and the others as pending

It's a separate qualification called GCE Advanced Subsidiary that will only let you fill in three modules.

Quick Reply

Latest