The Student Room Group

Paths into teaching?

I know I have failed one module on my resit year so I am being taken of the course, however I want to pursue a career in secondary science teaching.
My UCAS score isnt great so I dont think I will get on any course that isnt a foundation year. I do wish to continue on a science degree that will enable me to do teaching but I think I would have to wait a year to get on a foundation course, so I was just wondering is there any other way into teaching other than the Degree/PCGE route?
Teaching is a graduate career, so you need adegree . This could be an undergraduate teaching degree with QTS or you do a subject-specific degree and follow it up with a PGCE, Teach First, School Direct or SCITT course.
Original post by TraineeLynsey
Teaching is a graduate career, so you need adegree .

Not strictly true, as there is provision for unqualified teachers - although the career pathway into this isn't at all defined. Of the three I know personally, one's a TA with just GCSEs but she's probably the best KS2 teacher I know, one's a cover supervisor who was so good that she was eventually given her own class and the third's a qualified swimming teacher who diversified into the classroom.

All of them were working in education and their potential was spotted and nurtured - but all of them became unqualified teachers after age 30. It's a long and uncertain path. Also the pay is rubbish compared to qualified teachers, and the 'loophole' may or may not be closed by future governments.

OP, could you use the year to get alternative work in education maybe as a TA or lab assistant?
Reply 3
Original post by Jantaculum
Not strictly true, as there is provision for unqualified teachers - although the career pathway into this isn't at all defined. Of the three I know personally, one's a TA with just GCSEs but she's probably the best KS2 teacher I know, one's a cover supervisor who was so good that she was eventually given her own class and the third's a qualified swimming teacher who diversified into the classroom.

All of them were working in education and their potential was spotted and nurtured - but all of them became unqualified teachers after age 30. It's a long and uncertain path. Also the pay is rubbish compared to qualified teachers, and the 'loophole' may or may not be closed by future governments.

OP, could you use the year to get alternative work in education maybe as a TA or lab assistant?

Was thinking about doing the voluntary work if I fail to find a replacement course this year the only thing putting me off is I dont know if I would have to pay tax as I currently have the tax exemption form
Do you mean income tax? If so, this only applies if you are earning money. Presumably if you are considering volunteering then you won't be being paid, so that won't be an issue.
Reply 5
Original post by TraineeLynsey
Do you mean income tax? If so, this only applies if you are earning money. Presumably if you are considering volunteering then you won't be being paid, so that won't be an issue.

I was worried about the council tax because for the life of me I can not find any mention on if volunteer's have to pay it :/
Original post by thorpdownes
I was worried about the council tax because for the life of me I can not find any mention on if volunteer's have to pay it :/

I believe all non-students need to pay it. There may be discounts for those on certain benefits, but I don't know for sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending