The Student Room Group

Sell me your intended career!!

Scroll to see replies

I aim to study maths at uni to become a maths teacher.
Hang around kids all day long organise lessons based on how you like to deliver them.
Get great satisfaction out of seeing students succeed.
But don't copy cause I wanna get into the course :smile:
Original post by trustmeimlying1
yeah buddy!

us pharmacists :cool:

I like the fact we get to hand out lollipops to the kids too.

All that needed was this face next to it and..... :colone: :/ oh dear

Anyway, I would suggest something buisness orientated. My career choice is not for everyone. Maybe something like international banking or Marketing?
(edited 9 years ago)
Doing combined archaeology and heritage studies. Going to be a field archaeologist.
Original post by Acrostics
All that needed was this face next to it and..... :colone: :/ oh dear

Anyway, I would suggest something buisness orientated. My career choice is not for everyone. Maybe something like international banking or Marketing?
bahaha p
Im a simple person okay!

ugh..no thanks hard for jobs too
Reply 24
Original post by MATHSPOW!!
I aim to study maths at uni to become a maths teacher.
Hang around kids all day long organise lessons based on how you like to deliver them.
Get great satisfaction out of seeing students succeed.
But don't copy cause I wanna get into the course :smile:

Wow, after considering teaching myself I have to strongly advise against this unless you truly know what you are getting into. You will spend hours every night after work pouring into lesson plans and preparing material when the number of students that WONT make your life a misery and will actually appreciate it the next day can be counted on one hand. Teaching has an atrociously high attrition rate for a reason. Lots of my friends from school had a romantic idea of teaching without knowing the reality - none are teachers today and they are all glad they left.

I recommend "Not Quite a Teacher" by Tom Bennett (teacher and columnist for the Times Educational Supplement) for a shocking insight as to the field. It isn't for everyone, but if you feel you can survive long enough to gain the experience to engage a class then the best of luck to you!
Original post by cac2008
Wow, after considering teaching myself I have to strongly advise against this unless you truly know what you are getting into. You will spend hours every night after work pouring into lesson plans and preparing material when the number of students that WONT make your life a misery and will actually appreciate it the next day can be counted on one hand. Teaching has an atrociously high attrition rate for a reason. Lots of my friends from school had a romantic idea of teaching without knowing the reality - none are teachers today and they are all glad they left.

I recommend "Not Quite a Teacher" by Tom Bennett (teacher and columnist for the Times Educational Supplement) for a shocking insight as to the field. It isn't for everyone, but if you feel you can survive long enough to gain the experience to engage a class then the best of luck to you!

Doing work outside of lessons doesn't exactly bother me as seeing as you'd finish teaching at around half 3 then working for a few hours after won't mean your working for much longer than someone with a typical 9-5 job. Students not appreciating your effort is all part of the job as you've got to be able to motivate people such as these to realise they'll get out a lot more if the put the work it. Yes it's gonna be stressful and I'll probably hate it to begin with but to me I'd stick it at knowing that I'm doing good as opposed to being trapped in an office and not being at all appreciated by anyone. Nope my heart is set haha :wink: it's good that so many people are put off this career choice as well just means I'll have a better chance of gaining employment in the future.
Reply 26
Original post by MATHSPOW!!
Doing work outside of lessons doesn't exactly bother me as seeing as you'd finish teaching at around half 3 then working for a few hours after won't mean your working for much longer than someone with a typical 9-5 job. Students not appreciating your effort is all part of the job as you've got to be able to motivate people such as these to realise they'll get out a lot more if the put the work it. Yes it's gonna be stressful and I'll probably hate it to begin with but to me I'd stick it at knowing that I'm doing good as opposed to being trapped in an office and not being at all appreciated by anyone. Nope my heart is set haha :wink: it's good that so many people are put off this career choice as well just means I'll have a better chance of gaining employment in the future.

My son's teacher starts at 8 and I often see her leave the school at 7 as I walk my son to the park, but if your heart is set then I genuinely wish you the best. I hope you become that person that our young people need most - a motivated person who makes them enjoy school.
Original post by cac2008
My son's teacher starts at 8 and I often see her leave the school at 7 as I walk my son to the park, but if your heart is set then I genuinely wish you the best. I hope you become that person that our young people need most - a motivated person who makes them enjoy school.

That really doesn't sound too bad to me and if the 'work' is simply marking and planning lessons then it's a lot better than most jobs. Nowadays teachers just get lessons from places like TES as there's whole power points up there so there's lot of ways to save time where that's concerned. Thanks and yeh this is really my ultimate goal to make young people motivated to do well in a subject disliked by do many :/
Doing a variety of things you love and getting paid for it without having a boss.
You get to wear a stethoscope and steal people's blood, legally.
Original post by LukeyJB
You get to wear a stethoscope and steal people's blood, legally.

Technically you're not stealing if you have their permission/legal right.

It also says you're a first year law student on your about me. Yes I looked you up.
(edited 9 years ago)
Why don't you take a media degree? :smile:
Starting a Sociology degree in September, then will probably go on to a Masters in Research Methods (if I can afford it, of course...) with the view of going into Social Research. Have considered perhaps teaching Sociology but would probably wait until further on in my career so I feel confident enough in my abilities :smile:
Forensic scientist like the CSI or Abby from NCIS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSA
Technically you're not stealing if you have their permission/legal right.

It also says you're a first year law student on your about me. Yes I looked you up.

... what's your point?
Original post by LukeyJB
... what's your point?

Why lie?
Acting/Writing; ok they're both long shots and I don't rate the chances of getting them but if you can both can be pretty limitless.
Original post by TSA
Why lie?

Excuse me?
Reply 38
Dentist
Self employed, 9-5 5 days a week, high status, great salary, working with and helping people, highly academic as well as very practical surgical procedures, the ability to change the way people live by cosmetic work.
Whats not to like?
Reply 39
Original post by SterlingYen
Doctor, power money chicks cars and power.

power? lol, your employed by the NHS.
Money? maybe after 20 years or a GP
Chicks? You have negative life for the majority of your career
Unless you become a GP.

Needs more research

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending