The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Gas stove permitted?

Hi guys, especially the ones who are already the students.

I am already accepted into the University for the next year. Applied for Grizedale townhouse and Furness standard (fingers crossed for Grizedale). I was just wondering if it will be possible to bring with me or buy already there a gas stove for wok. I don't know whether i should have any permission because of the safety issues etc.
Reply 1
I have no idea about these accommodations but surely there may already be a kitchen or shared cooking facilities?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Surely, there is! But at most if not at every single one they are just electric stoves without actual fire which is essential for cooking on wok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original post by Cypis
Hi guys, especially the ones who are already the students.

I am already accepted into the University for the next year. Applied for Grizedale townhouse and Furness standard (fingers crossed for Grizedale). I was just wondering if it will be possible to bring with me or buy already there a gas stove for wok. I don't know whether i should have any permission because of the safety issues etc.

I don't know about what will be in the townhouse - but I can guarantee you will not be allowed to bring your own gas stove. The regulations in these flat/houses of multiple occupation are so strict.
I've applied for those colleges too :smile: What are you going to be studying?
Reply 5
Management & it

Original post by Cypis
Surely, there is! But at most if not at every single one they are just electric stoves without actual fire which is essential for cooking on wok.

I have chinese housemates and they've managed just fine with woks on the electric cookers! =)
Pretty sure all the new accommodation is electric hobs and I imagine that's one of the first things they'll have upgraded in the older accommodation.

I was in County townhouses in my final year and I imagine Grizedales are identical in which case you'll be getting electric.

Not a chance you'll be allowed a gas stove. I'm sure people have done in the past and I'm sure people will do in future but if you get caught with an actual gas stove you'll get more than a slap on the wrist.

Quick Reply