The Student Room Group

Maintenance Grant?

I've just finished a 3 year course at university, and have realised that the whole time I have qualified for a maintenance grant, due to being low income. For the past 3 years I have scraped by, and am also now over £20,000 in debt. Am I too late to apply for this grant? Can some of my debt be wiped if I can prove that I have been within the threshold to receive a grant?
You can't get it now, it doesn't work that way. If you got the maintenance loan then you would have been given the grant if you were eligible for it
Reply 2
I filled out the application incorrectly, as I did not believe I was low-income at the time.
Reply 3
Original post by dontcarelala
I filled out the application incorrectly, as I did not believe I was low-income at the time.

That's not their fault. They assess what you fill in, so if you did it wrong they can only assess the information they have. You should have investigated at the time to see if you were low income.

It's an expensive lesson to learn, but hopefully you will learn from it

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Hmm no that's not very helpful. Because I was informed incorrectly by my parents about our household income, I should now owe an extra ~8 grand? I'll just phone up student finance and speak to someone.
Hmm no that's not very helpful. Because I was informed incorrectly by my parents about our household income, I should now owe an extra ~8 grand? I'll just phone up student finance and speak to someone.

Afraid its the truth though. You can only make a claim for that year up to 9 months after the start of it. You might just be able to get a grant for this year if you move quickly but definitley not the last two.
Reply 6

Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean it's not helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Move to Student Financial Support. As Jelly1000 says, you have to up 9 months after your course starts to apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending