The Student Room Group

Will I be out of my depth?

I've been studying AS Mathematics this year (I'm in year 12) and if I get an A, then I have the opportunity to fast track Further Mathematics next year (year 13) so I'd end up with 3 A levels in Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Psychology, and 2 AS levels in ICT and Biology. I don't know what sort of grades I'll get in Further Mathematics, but this year in AS Maths, I've been getting mock grades of around Grade A. Do you think doing a Mathematics degree would be out of my depth? I guess, what I'm asking is: How big is the jump from A Level Mathematics to BSc (Hons) Mathematics?
Reply 1
Original post by rebeccamay97
I've been studying AS Mathematics this year (I'm in year 12) and if I get an A, then I have the opportunity to fast track Further Mathematics next year (year 13) so I'd end up with 3 A levels in Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Psychology, and 2 AS levels in ICT and Biology. I don't know what sort of grades I'll get in Further Mathematics, but this year in AS Maths, I've been getting mock grades of around Grade A. Do you think doing a Mathematics degree would be out of my depth? I guess, what I'm asking is: How big is the jump from A Level Mathematics to BSc (Hons) Mathematics?

Your question is fairly vague, so we can only give a vague answer, but bear in mind that universities are not like schools where everyone studies essentially the same material to the same standard. There is a huge variation in the standards of BSc Mathematics degrees, and many courses take students who haven't even done Further Maths!

If your teachers are confident that you are suitable for a fast-tracked FM, then I would say that a maths degree is certainly within your reach - if that's what you wanted to do!

Have you had any thoughts about particular unis yet?
It's one thing getting an 'A' in AS Mathematics and then another to get around a B in A2 Further Mathematics though. However, that said, dropping Biology and ICT would give you the platform to study A2 Further Mathematics.

The thing is, iirc, A2 Further Mathematics made up of 6 modules, as is A2 Mathematics; I would be suprised if you would then effectively have to do 9 modules of maths next year (including the 6 of Further and 3 of Maths), as you would have to get up to AS standard (and cover the whole course) as well in Further Mathematics, if that makes sense. It goes without saying, that the 'fast track' Further Mathematics would require a heck of a lot of work.

If you come out of year 13 with good grades, then the step up to a university degree would be 'managable'.

Quick Reply

Latest