The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

simply_greg
Ignore this, I did a full A2 Law at A level and I got AAABb in my exams and I am now a holder of an unconditional offer at the LSE.

My A levels would be similar to yours OP!
I took - R.S, Law and Psychology
I took History at AS.

R.S is not a very popular A level course in as far as the amount of people who take it. In my class at college there were about 6 of us! Therefore, I think that universities hold it in high esteem regarding good/bad A level subjects.
History - some people find it difficult to do well on. Suppose it depends on your board and course, dropped it at AS level due to the content! It was boring and massive!
Law at A level is great I don't see why some regard it as blacklisted. Think of it this way, a uni may look at your A levels when you apply to do law and look at A level law and think, hmmm this shows interest in law and proves that he/she has a passion for law!

Hope I was of help

I also did law and have an LSE unconditional.
would you guys think it scary if a 16 year old was asking the same questions... erm by the way ii dont think APPLIED science is a good idea, though it shouldnt matter too much if u get the highest grade possible. but his year (gsce results on thursday) the peeps who took APPLIED science were those considered dim (hate to generalise). as you obviously arent i would stay away from it, unless you absolutely must. On the other hand its just a GCSE (says that whilst trembling over his up and coming results). Just try and get a few A*s under your belt...and live a little.

PS: you really shouldnt be too happy about knowing beyond AS/A2 at this point. for one most good unis prefer you not to have any prior knowledge as they liek to teach you *their* way. Also you might find you become really bored wiht law if uve learnt everythign before u start, leave somethings to the imagination and tackle them as they come.
Reply 22
Haineko
I think it might be a better idea to take up another subject at a/s level rather than law, since its not a requirement, and from what i've heard it doesn't put you at any disadvantage. You're still fairly young, and it might be a good idea to take up another subject so you can broaden your knowledge base. Its good to think ahead, but don't be too narrow, thats all.

True.

And if you're planning to go to LSE, quite a respectable university for the arts:

A level subjects
The School considers not only the subjects offered by applicants at A level (A2) and AS level, but also the combination of them. The School generally prefers certain subjects because it considers they are more likely to serve as effective preparation for studying at LSE. Admissions Tutors will normally consider one of the following subjects only if it is offered in combination with subjects that are not included in the list. For example, Mathematics, French and Economics would be a suitable combination for almost any of our degrees. Mathematics, French and Business would be acceptable, but we would prefer the first example. On the other hand, Mathematics, Accounting and Media Studies would not normally be considered as suitable as this combination includes two subjects on the list. You should also note that we are less concerned with subject combinations at AS level.

Applicants normally offer three A levels (A2s) in our generally preferred subjects, or two generally preferred subjects and one from the following list (this list is regularly reviewed by Admissions Tutors and is comprehensive at the time of going to press):

Accounting
Art and Design
Business Studies
Communication Studies
Dance
Design and Technology
Drama/Theatre Studies
Home Economics
Information and Communication Technology
Law
Media Studies
Sports Studies
Some departments also require specific subjects. Please check the advice on entry requirements for each of the degree programmes you are considering.

If you are taking General Studies or Critical Thinking at A level, your grades in these subjects will not normally be counted towards the requirements of any conditional offer we might make. Similarly, an A level or equivalent in your first language may not be counted. However, if we make you a conditional offer and you don't quite achieve the grades we have asked for, we might then take a good grade in such a subject into account.

The conditions of individual offers may be varied if the Admissions Tutor considers this appropriate.

I would definitely NOT recommend doing A-level Law. You should start with the basics, e.g. maths, english, and train your brain first.

I hope you understand. :wink:
God! I'm scared. At 14, I wanted to be a Vet, then a Chef, Doctor, Optician, Teacher, Lecturer, Accountant in quick succession, till I realised that I'm a know-it-all argumentative sod and as a result, Law would be the most suitable! At 16, I had finally decided on a Law or History degree, with a view to a legal career. By 17 I had decided that I wanted to be a Barrister, though even though I'm ambitious, I'm certainly not under the illusion that this may not change before I graduate (I'm going to Study Law at Durham in October).

Frankly, to know exactly what you want to do at 14, together with your subject choices for the next 4 years smacks of someone forgetting to live. Although you have spoken about EC Activities that you do, you should remember to do these not just for their CV improving qualities...you should be doing things you enjoy now, sports, books, movies ... for yourself. Not just so that you can boost your CV. I'm all for planning and hard work in academia, but I can tell you, from my experience, that you do change your mind. Look at me. lol....Lawyers and Vets have some significant differences.
Yup, I was set on medicine till I had did AS levels!!
Reply 25
sablacklock88
God! I'm scared. At 14, I wanted to be a Vet, then a Chef, Doctor, Optician, Teacher, Lecturer, Accountant in quick succession, till I realised that I'm a know-it-all argumentative sod and as a result, Law would be the most suitable! At 16, I had finally decided on a Law or History degree, with a view to a legal career. By 17 I had decided that I wanted to be a Barrister, though even though I'm ambitious, I'm certainly not under the illusion that this may not change before I graduate (I'm going to Study Law at Durham in October).

Frankly, to know exactly what you want to do at 14, together with your subject choices for the next 4 years smacks of someone forgetting to live. Although you have spoken about EC Activities that you do, you should remember to do these not just for their CV improving qualities...you should be doing things you enjoy now, sports, books, movies ... for yourself. Not just so that you can boost your CV. I'm all for planning and hard work in academia, but I can tell you, from my experience, that you do change your mind. Look at me. lol....Lawyers and Vets have some significant differences.

All due respect to both the above poster, and all the other posters who seem to think that my situation is "scary".
To be honest, I've never been a normal child, actually I havent ever been a "child", I just hated being young where the only person you can hold a conversation with was an adult.
At 14, most of mates can hold a small discussion, and argue a point, albeit a very weak one.
I feel I'm a fully matured adult, thats stuck in a teenagers body, and to be honest, its hell.
If any of you actually met me then you'd see, that not only do I look hell of a lot older, but I also converse older than I am.
If you want discuss whether the conflict in Southern Lebanon was right or wrong, or discuss whether the BNP's policies are really "racist" then PM me, and you'd soon find out, that in my case, 14 is just a number.
So please, do not interpret my situation on the number 14 alone.
I'm a very decisive person, when I make up my mind, it doesnt change.
Law is what I've always wanted to do and its my passion.
The main area I'm interested in, is criminal law and all law relating to police procedure and the rules of PACE etc.
I know quite a lot of it at the moment anyway, because I read up on it in my spare time. Sad? No!, Enthusiastic? Yes!
I can assure you that my passion, enthuasm and determination to suceed in a law career as a barrister is equal to, if not greater than you and your fellow students.

Thanks.
Tom.
I'm sure you'll be great Tom but all myself and several other people have said is that whilst its good to show enthusiam and plan ahead theres much in life you can't plan so strictly for, theres bound to be changes and things may well end up very differently. so although it sounds cliche life is a journey and sometimes its best to take things as they come. you remind me so much of myself, but what I had in mind at 14 is not what has actually happened. I'm sure everyone on here hopes that you do well in what you want to do.
Reply 27
I must say you are incredible for a 14 year old, really, and are almost making me feel I shouldn't be doing law as I don't even know enough about the conflict in Southern Lebanon really to argue with you!

I understand a little of how you feel though, as I used to act a little more grown up than my peers (although, I must say, was nowhere near as prepared as you are!). It has its upsides and its downsides. Once you get people to get over the 'oh my god, you're only 14' stage, they will take you seriously and help you get where you want to be. This includes work experience, although I'd wait a couple of years for that, as most law related work needs you to be over 16. In terms of your A-levels, keep in mind your plans now, but don't be afraid to change your mind. You may change direction entirely over the next couple of years, and that's OK. At my school most people spent the first few weeks of year 10 changing GCSE courses, so I can't imagine ANYONE was sure what A-levels they wanted to do!

The downside is that most people really aren't prepared to deal with a 14 year old who is so much more prepared than the average 18 year old! You will find you have to wait a while before you really are treated like an adult who fully understands this stuff, because most people will just assume you can't. The point is, you are still just a teenager, and, while you say the other people your age can't argue a point, the fact of the matter is that they're not expected to. You just have to accept that they aren't as advanced as you are, but that doesn't mean they won't come into their own over the next few years, possibly even through being friends with someone as intelligent as you. Don't look on it as a separating factor. Just bear in mind that within law and the police you are expected to be able to deal with all sorts of people, so separating yourself from them by unnecessarily advancing your knowledge of the law may only turn out to be a disadvantage one day, when others may be able to deal with both. I know you don't want to think of yourself as a 'normal child', but maybe it would be better to allow some of those childlike tendancies to come out occassionally?

The point is, everyone grows up differently, and I can't tell you what is right/wrong. To take my example, I worked hard at school when I was quite young, not knowing any different. When I reached year 9, I got fed up of it and gave myself a bit of a break. I still tried fairly hard in the subjects I cared about, but I dossed a lot in subjects I didn't, put off homework, and failed a few tests here and there. It didn't stop me getting 4A*s, 6As and 2Bs at GCSE (not an outstanding result, but pretty damn good)! Only in year 11 did I started to take law (slightly) seriously. I got a day's work experience in a legal department of a big firm, but I didn't worry too much about doing much else, because, to be honest, this was far more than a lot of people had done by that age. I really worked hard again when it came to my A-levels, and it wasn't easy balancing school, work and improving my application for law, but I managed it! I'm not saying don't try hard, as getting ahead can be a big advantage, but I'm merely pointing out that you can let yourself go and pick yourself back up! Most people weren't even as prepared as I was!

In terms of A-levels, I would recommend against A-level law, just because I've heard so much against it. But I don't know what it is actually like, so don't take my word on it - if you're concerned look on university admissions pages closer to the time (it may all change by the time you get there, so our advice might be rubbish!). But, I'd say, if you are already more advanced than A-level law, I'd imagine you'd be better off proving and improving your competence in something else at A-level, and using what you know about law for interviews and for when you get to uni.

Again, in terms of universities, you'd be better looking at league tables in a few years, visiting some when you've got a better idea of what you want out of them, and deciding then. A lot may change between now and then, and you might want to pick a uni close to/away from home accordingly. Ideally you'll want to have a shortlist you're a little interested in by spring year 12, visit them, get their prospectuses, etc. in the summer, and pick your 6 favourites by the beginning of year 13 to get your application in early, but you can do this earlier if you wish. (I visited both Oxford and Cambridge in the summer after year 11 to pick between them, but that's me being over-prepared!)

When you get to sixth-form, which is still a long way away, I'd recommend you get some work experience (I spent a week in a solicitor's and a week in the local council's legal department) and, if you can, go on the Cambridge Sixth-Form Law Conference and the Oxford Law Open Day in year 12 (look into this right at the beginning of the year, as you need to book through school). Both are really worthwhile - the Cambridge one costs money, but is really worth it, being a four-day conference, where you stay in a college. There are other privately-run ones which are pretty good, but tend to cost more. If you're interested in criminal law, the Nottingham 'Workshop' Criminal Law conference may be worthwhile. Anyway, these may change by the time you're old enough, so look into them closer to the time, but I found that it's difficult to know that these things are happening unless you are told well in advance, so I thought I'd help you get ahead of the game!

Anyway, contradictory advice there, but it boils down to:

1) Don't worry too much right now, and keep on enjoying being 14
BUT
2) Being prepared is not a problem, as you will be ready to do what you need to when you get to each stage, so keep up with what's going on, and keep your interest going. Just don't let it become too important!

It's a balance we all have to get right! I hope this helps you!
Reply 28
milly87
I must say you are incredible for a 14 year old, really, and are almost making me feel I shouldn't be doing law as I don't even know enough about the conflict in Southern Lebanon really to argue with you!

I understand a little of how you feel though, as I used to act a little more grown up than my peers (although, I must say, was nowhere near as prepared as you are!). It has its upsides and its downsides. Once you get people to get over the 'oh my god, you're only 14' stage, they will take you seriously and help you get where you want to be. This includes work experience, although I'd wait a couple of years for that, as most law related work needs you to be over 16. In terms of your A-levels, keep in mind your plans now, but don't be afraid to change your mind. You may change direction entirely over the next couple of years, and that's OK. At my school most people spent the first few weeks of year 10 changing GCSE courses, so I can't imagine ANYONE was sure what A-levels they wanted to do!

The downside is that most people really aren't prepared to deal with a 14 year old who is so much more prepared than the average 18 year old! You will find you have to wait a while before you really are treated like an adult who fully understands this stuff, because most people will just assume you can't. The point is, you are still just a teenager, and, while you say the other people your age can't argue a point, the fact of the matter is that they're not expected to. You just have to accept that they aren't as advanced as you are, but that doesn't mean they won't come into their own over the next few years, possibly even through being friends with someone as intelligent as you. Don't look on it as a separating factor. Just bear in mind that within law and the police you are expected to be able to deal with all sorts of people, so separating yourself from them by unnecessarily advancing your knowledge of the law may only turn out to be a disadvantage one day, when others may be able to deal with both. I know you don't want to think of yourself as a 'normal child', but maybe it would be better to allow some of those childlike tendancies to come out occassionally?

The point is, everyone grows up differently, and I can't tell you what is right/wrong. To take my example, I worked hard at school when I was quite young, not knowing any different. When I reached year 9, I got fed up of it and gave myself a bit of a break. I still tried fairly hard in the subjects I cared about, but I dossed a lot in subjects I didn't, put off homework, and failed a few tests here and there. It didn't stop me getting 4A*s, 6As and 2Bs at GCSE (not an outstanding result, but pretty damn good)! Only in year 11 did I started to take law (slightly) seriously. I got a day's work experience in a legal department of a big firm, but I didn't worry too much about doing much else, because, to be honest, this was far more than a lot of people had done by that age. I really worked hard again when it came to my A-levels, and it wasn't easy balancing school, work and improving my application for law, but I managed it! I'm not saying don't try hard, as getting ahead can be a big advantage, but I'm merely pointing out that you can let yourself go and pick yourself back up! Most people weren't even as prepared as I was!

In terms of A-levels, I would recommend against A-level law, just because I've heard so much against it. But I don't know what it is actually like, so don't take my word on it - if you're concerned look on university admissions pages closer to the time (it may all change by the time you get there, so our advice might be rubbish!). But, I'd say, if you are already more advanced than A-level law, I'd imagine you'd be better off proving and improving your competence in something else at A-level, and using what you know about law for interviews and for when you get to uni.

Again, in terms of universities, you'd be better looking at league tables in a few years, visiting some when you've got a better idea of what you want out of them, and deciding then. A lot may change between now and then, and you might want to pick a uni close to/away from home accordingly. Ideally you'll want to have a shortlist you're a little interested in by spring year 12, visit them, get their prospectuses, etc. in the summer, and pick your 6 favourites by the beginning of year 13 to get your application in early, but you can do this earlier if you wish. (I visited both Oxford and Cambridge in the summer after year 11 to pick between them, but that's me being over-prepared!)

When you get to sixth-form, which is still a long way away, I'd recommend you get some work experience (I spent a week in a solicitor's and a week in the local council's legal department) and, if you can, go on the Cambridge Sixth-Form Law Conference and the Oxford Law Open Day in year 12 (look into this right at the beginning of the year, as you need to book through school). Both are really worthwhile - the Cambridge one costs money, but is really worth it, being a four-day conference, where you stay in a college. There are other privately-run ones which are pretty good, but tend to cost more. If you're interested in criminal law, the Nottingham 'Workshop' Criminal Law conference may be worthwhile. Anyway, these may change by the time you're old enough, so look into them closer to the time, but I found that it's difficult to know that these things are happening unless you are told well in advance, so I thought I'd help you get ahead of the game!

Anyway, contradictory advice there, but it boils down to:

1) Don't worry too much right now, and keep on enjoying being 14
BUT
2) Being prepared is not a problem, as you will be ready to do what you need to when you get to each stage, so keep up with what's going on, and keep your interest going. Just don't let it become too important!

It's a balance we all have to get right! I hope this helps you!

Thankyou, above poster, for your mature, understanding reply...
Its a shame that theres not more "you's" lol:smile:
Tom.
OMG you know about PACE... however there are new rules to supplement it relating to terrorist activities which may interest you. They came onto the syllabus the year after I studied PACE, but just wait till you get to uni ... criminal doesn't involve the study of this, we did it in constitutional.
Reply 30
I had not even heared of PACE until I did AS law!
I heard about it in first year of uni, lol.
Reply 32
For those saying stay away from A level law:

Cambridge recently spoke outright about which subjects they would prefer candidates to stay away from (you may have seen it on the front page of The Times) and Law was not on their list.

Furthermore, I don't think you can really say in an interview or on a personal statement that you have been interested in studying Law for quite some time if it was offered to you on a plate at school and you chose not to study it. Yes, you may have turned it down simply because you're a fan of LSE's website and followed their opinions, but I believe that if one truely was interested in studying Law academically - you would jump at the chance of spending 2 years studying it for A level.
Reply 33
Serenity
but I believe that if one truely was interested in studying Law academically - you would jump at the chance of spending 2 years studying it for A level.

That's exactly the reason why I chose it at A level. I would also recommend it to anyone, regardless of what the LSE says.
Reply 34
I'm all for passion and determination, but I think planning your life out like this at 14 is just shooting yourself in the foot options-wise. Seriously, quit looking so far into the future and just live your life. There is very little point agonising over this at 14...
Serenity
For those saying stay away from A level law:

Cambridge recently spoke outright about which subjects they would prefer candidates to stay away from (you may have seen it on the front page of The Times) and Law was not on their list.

Furthermore, I don't think you can really say in an interview or on a personal statement that you have been interested in studying Law for quite some time if it was offered to you on a plate at school and you chose not to study it. Yes, you may have turned it down simply because you're a fan of LSE's website and followed their opinions, but I believe that if one truely was interested in studying Law academically - you would jump at the chance of spending 2 years studying it for A level.

In my opinion there are other important reasons that you shouldn't do A-level Law if you want to study it at degree level.
A significant point that isn't really mentioned that often is: Why would you if you are going to cover the same material again at degree level, most likely in the first year that you get there?
Now I know this applies to other subjects but crucially not in the same way. History for example- i.e. Why aren't Historians/Chemists discouraged from doing A-level History/Chemistry when they are going on to do history/chemistry at degree level?
The answer is its difficult to teach Law well at A-level. There simply isn't enough time and syllabus constraints make it practically unworthwhile doing so.
This is the in my view the real point that Law tutors are making when they say 'We prefer our Law applicants/students not to have studied Law previously'. They simply do not want you to have any faulty understanding which can arise out of rash teaching at that level.
Reply 36
superdillon

A significant point that isn't really mentioned that often is: Why would you if you are going to cover the same material again at degree level, most likely in the first year that you get there?

Why would you? If you loved Law that much - you'd be happy to do it twice.

Furthermore, how do applicants know they will enjoy studying law if they have no previous experience of studying the subject academically? My guess is that most don't, they are taking a chance - either because:

A.) They want to be a lawyer.
B.) They think it is a good degree to do and know it is respected.

In my opinion, someone who has studied Law at A level is less likely to drop out or dislike their time studying Law than either of the two profiles above.
Serenity
Why would you? If you loved Law that much - you'd be happy to do it twice.

I don't think so. You can only love a subject so much and I don't think that many students would express their love for a subject by saying 'Oh that was great..now I get to do it all over again...yeaaaayyyy'. Alot would find that boring in fact and would want to move on. Which brings me to another 'problem' with studying Law at A-level. Unlike other A-level subjects it is difficult to to put Law into a meaningful study i.e. one that has depth and breadth. The following should make this point more clearer.
For a Science like Biology or a humanity like geography you really cover a great deal in terms of breadth at A-level, with respect to depth- that is a problem for all subjects. Law isn't the same. At A-level you take a few select modules like Contract and Tort Law which are immensly complex and require a lot of effort to study and it is presented like it is readily digestable after one reading of it. This is not at all how it should be. Time should be taken, discussions should be had, analysis and evaluation should be prominent. This is not the case for a lot of subjects but particularly for Law.

Serenity
Furthermore, how do applicants know they will enjoy studying law if they have no previous experience of studying the subject academically? My guess is that most don't, they are taking a chance - either because:

A.) They want to be a lawyer.
B.) They think it is a good degree to do and know it is respected.

There are so many ways that you can know that the study of Law at undergraduate level is for you the least of which, in my view is, doing it for A-level.
There's work experience. There's plenty of good books etc.
Law is particularly strange as it is a professional's subject as well. Lets take another professional's subject- Medicine.
Are you really going to say that there should be a Medicine A-level?

Serenity
In my opinion, someone who has studied Law at A level is less likely to drop out or dislike their time studying Law than either of the two profiles above.

I'm not sure there is evidence of this. Certainly I haven't come across this.
Reply 38
superdillon
I don't think so. You can only love a subject so much and I don't think that many students would express their love for a subject by saying 'Oh that was great..now I get to do it all over again...yeaaaayyyy'. Alot would find that boring in fact and would want to move on..

Not with me. I'm aware that what you know about a certain area and the experience/intellectual stimulation you recieved from studying it will largely depend on: the level at which you are studying it, who is teaching you it and it what format (e.g. lectures). Due to all three of these factors being succinctly different at A level Law to degree level and also that most students would be aware of this - many wouldn't mind going over it again.

superdillon
At A-level you take a few select modules like Contract and Tort Law which are immensly complex and require a lot of effort to study and it is presented like it is readily digestable after one reading of it. This is not at all how it should be.

I'm on OCR and we don't do either. For AS we largely did aspects of constitutional law: such as precedent, how legislation is made, common law etc.. and then our 'Machinery of Justice' paper included: ADR, court procedures etc...
For A level we are doing Criminal Law but again we only do certain aspects, such as causation.

superdillon
Time should be taken, discussions should be had, analysis and evaluation should be prominent.

Time is taken..class discussions are had...we have to complete a number analysis questions and in fact, the analysis questions are the only ones I respect.

Furthermore, if you arguing that 'time should be taken' then why at degree level do the certain bits of Law we learn take you only about 6 weeks into the degree - whereas we spend 2 years on it?

superdillon

Are you really going to say that there should be a Medicine A-level?

I can't really comment on that - as I'm not aware of a medicine degree fully entails. However I'm sure A Level chemistry and human biology, in terms of content, are more closely linked to the degree..than say A level History's (a subject I'm sure many would say was one of the closest A levels to law) course content is to a Law degree..
6 weeks on degree because you are expected to learn most of it yourself, ur hand isnt held in the same way as it is at school. By what ur saying you learnt A-level law sounds pretty rubbish, you learn all the gash and none of the good stuff. However, in reference to the fact that its going over it that just wont be true. The detail at uni is far more advanced, the academic debates used more complex etc. OK so you have the bare bones of offer and acceptance (for example in contract) but I was quite surprised by how complex that was at uni... same with causation ... wait till you do that in the context of murder and manslaughter ... urgh.

Latest

Trending

Trending