The Student Room Group

Do some universities give out too many firsts?

I know this may sound harsh, or bitter or even a little snobby, but I was discussing this with friends yesterday and they seem to agree that lower ranked universities can be just too lenient with handing out Firsts. I'm on my second year after taking a gap year, and so most of my school friends are receiving their final year results around this week or so. And I've been so surprised by the amount of people posting Firsts on Facebook, and they
all go to these lower ranked unis in our area (don't want to name them incase it offends). These people struggled with A-level content and so ended up on courses with really low entry requirements. Yet now I'm seeing that a load of them have ended up with Firsts.

I know it's great that they've done well, but I just feel like whilst they are all having these firsts, my other friends who went to god universities are ending up with 2:1s. Which they are happy with because they know it's a great achievement, but I feel like it's tainted a bit by the amount of people who did less well at A-level, went to a lower uni, and ended up with a better grade. I know obviously those lower universities have to have easier/ lighter workloads considering their lower entry requirements, but I can't help but wonder whether all these people should really have gotten Firsts.

I have 2 friends for example, one that does biochem at a good uni, and one that does a biology type course at a much lower uni. Throughout the years I've heard pieces about their course, and the one who does biochem had such a higher workload, and the work sounded so much more complicated. She is a really bright spark, did really well at A-level and has done well and earned a 2:1. The other friend at the lower uni really struggled with the content of A-level biology, really struggled to pass, and has ended up with a first. Her workload was a hell of a lot lighter and her content much easier than my other friends...

Am I wrong in feeling that it's a bit unfair that the one gets a First just because she didn't do as well at A-level and went to a uni with lower requirements? I know that if she did my other friends course, she would have really struggled.

I just feel like it's a bit of an injustice, I know obviously the course has to be easier for those with lower A-level grades, for if it was the same level of difficulty they'd struggle to have a decent pass rate. But I always feel that sometimes it becomes too easy, and the grades are too lenient.

For a lot of higher ranked unis, a First grade is really exceptional, it means going above and beyond the course, but I'm not sure I get that from the lower unis.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Polys take the piss tbh.
Reply 2
Original post by TolerantBeing
I know this may sound harsh, or bitter or even a little snobby, but I was discussing this with friends yesterday and they seem to agree that lower ranked universities can be just too lenient with handing out Firsts. I'm on my second year after taking a gap year, and so most of my school friends are receiving their final year results around this week or so. And I've been so surprised by the amount of people posting Firsts on Facebook, and they
all go to these lower ranked unis in our area (don't want to name them incase it offends). These people struggled with A-level content and so ended up on courses with really low entry requirements. Yet now I'm seeing that a load of them have ended up with Firsts.

I know it's great that they've done well, but I just feel like whilst they are all having these firsts, my other friends who went to god universities are ending up with 2:1s. Which they are happy with because they know it's a great achievement, but I feel like it's tainted a bit by the amount of people who did less well at A-level, went to a lower uni, and ended up with a better grade. I know obviously those lower universities have to have easier/ lighter workloads considering their lower entry requirements, but I can't help but wonder whether all these people should really have gotten Firsts.

I have 2 friends for example, one that does biochem at a good uni, and one that does a biology type course at a much lower uni. Throughout the years I've heard pieces about their course, and the one who does biochem had such a higher workload, and the work sounded so much more complicated. She is a really bright spark, did really well at A-level and has done well and earned a 2:1. The other friend at the lower uni really struggled with the content of A-level biology, really struggled to pass, and has ended up with a first. Her workload was a hell of a lot lighter and her content much easier than my other friends...

Am I wrong in feeling that it's a bit unfair that the one gets a First just because she didn't do as well at A-level and went to a uni with lower requirements? I know that if she did my other friends course, she would have really struggled.

I just feel like it's a bit of an injustice, I know obviously the course has to be easier for those with lower A-level grades, for if it was the same level of difficulty they'd struggle to have a decent pass rate. But I always feel that sometimes it becomes too easy, and the grades are too lenient.

For a lot of higher ranked unis, a First grade is really exceptional, it means going above and beyond the course, but I'm not sure I get that from the lower unis.

Well, get used to it, life often works out that the dumber people get rewarded by the institutions and the more able people don't. It's unfair, but it's life.
Its not a case of Polys handing out too many firsts and more a case of courses at polys being easier than at other Unis.

Its because there isn't really standardisation to the courses.

My undergraduate was at Bristol, and was actually more challenging in content than at other red bricks, like Leeds or Sheffield, and you could tell. People from Bristol did better on the Masters than people from other Russell groups, and no one from a poly managed a distinction at all.
It does seem a little odd. It is probably one of the reasons that employers want to know which University the applicant attended. A 2:1 from Cambridge probably being of more worth than a First from an ex-poly.
Reply 5
I do think that former polytechnics make First class degrees more attainable in order to give their own undergraduates a better chance in the job market as they're quite well aware, of course, that a Russell Group 2:1 is much superior to a former poly 2:1.
(edited 9 years ago)
You would have thought if ex poly's had less academically able people they would struggle to get a first at the ex poly even with the weaker course.

Unis need more regulations, just like A Levels.
Standardise 1st and 2nd year university courses. :biggrin:
Original post by TolerantBeing

In general, A 2:1 from a very good uni is much better than a first from a much less well known uni :smile: employers do look at university (or at least, A lot do!-)
Reply 8
Original post by Caedus
I do think that former polytechnics make First class degrees more attainable in order to give their own undergraduates a better chance in the job market as they're quite well aware, of course, that a Russell Group 2:1 is much superior to a former poly 2:1.

Of course, a problem also becomes apparent if the employer/interviewer is someone who went to a poly and cannot see things objectively. So, the problem at it's core comes from the fact that the poly is giving out these grades in the first place.
Is there any data for this? Otherwise it's just a rant based on anecdotal evidence. I actually remember seeing statistics which indicate the opposite. I'll see if I can find them.
Original post by FrostyLemon
Is there any data for this? Otherwise it's just a rant based on anecdotal evidence. I actually remember seeing statistics which indicate the opposite. I'll see if I can find them.

You think lower ranked unis are harder? :confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Muppet Science
It does seem a little odd. It is probably one of the reasons that employers want to know which University the applicant attended. A 2:1 from Cambridge probably being of more worth than a First from an ex-poly.

A mid range 2.2 from Cambridge is better than a first from a lot of ex-polys. A 2.1 from Cambridge is as good as a first at most Russell group universities. People can deny this until they are blue in the face but the fact is that at Cambridge plenty of people who receive 4A*s at A level get 2.1s and even 2.2s. A levels are an excellent predictor of degree classification and the vast majority of these people would be getting firsts elsewhere. I read somewhere that the proportion of people who get awarded firsts in maths is the same at Nottingham trent as it is at Cambridge which is simply laughable given the comparative standards of the students upon entering university. I'd go so far as to say a third in Cambridge maths is a hard as a first in maths at many other universities. I say this as someone who thinks Cambridge awards way too many firsts. Firsts should be awarded to the top 10% imo at all universities and employers will view it wrt how hard the exams are. I know a person who got AAA at A level who was not especially clever and who always asked for help on stupid questions who now get 80% at university in economics at Exeter. By his own admission he does a lot less work than I do. I got 4A*s and study at Cambridge and 80% is simple unachievable. The person who tops the year and is therefore arguably the best student for the age group in the subject in the country doesn't get 80%.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yep, agree. My ex's uni (ex poly) tends to hand out a lot of firsts. I remember he had a maths module, and his friend was telling me about a girl who couldn't do the work. As a joke, I asked him to show me it (I'm an English student, and I got a C in GCSE maths (I also did foundation, so that shows you how awful I am at it). I did it in about 3 minutes, without any calculator or anything. This was in week five, I can't understand how she struggled with this question, I am absolutely terrible at maths and haven't looked at it since GCSE (which was 4 years ago) and I could?

Doesn't really make sense, tbh. That being said, I'm not being bitter against my ex (he went to that uni because it offered a rare joint honours course with computing and some sort of engineering which was exactly what he wanted to do). He is very smart and would have done very well at a 'higher' uni, but some of the people on that course are borderline fools.
Original post by redferry
Its not a case of Polys handing out too many firsts and more a case of courses at polys being easier than at other Unis.

Its because there isn't really standardisation to the courses.

My undergraduate was at Bristol, and was actually more challenging in content than at other red bricks, like Leeds or Sheffield, and you could tell. People from Bristol did better on the Masters than people from other Russell groups, and no one from a poly managed a distinction at all.

Yeah. I think it is a lot to do with them being easier. At least it worked out fair in the end I suppose in your case :tongue:
I wouldn't say the content in ex poly's is too different from the redbricks.

The difference is made in the coursework percentage. An ex poly will have around 40% coursework per module, while the redbricks can be up to 100% exam or 85% exam.
I only say this because I have attended a both redbrick and ex poly and the content is somewhat similar difficulty wise
Reply 16
Which is why anyone who would be looking at these grades will also interview and test candidates for whatever it is. If not then they are obviously missing out on the better applicants. Sure automatic filters and such could put you at a slight disadvantage but that's life.
If you honestly want to stop this, increase regulation.

Make 1st and 2nd year courses regulated, allocate the maximum percentage of coursework allowed. But I feel its better the way it is now, people can study a whole lot more this way rather than jumping through the A Level regulated hoops.
Reply 18
Original post by C.Almasy
Of course, a problem also becomes apparent if the employer/interviewer is someone who went to a poly and cannot see things objectively. So, the problem at it's core comes from the fact that the poly is giving out these grades in the first place.

Prejudice and ignorance is not something we'll be rid of anytime soon - and of course I don't expect every interviewer to look upon the education of the candidate with an objective eye. I agree and you're quite right that the problem lies in the fact that there's no parity between universities when it comes to grading. In fact, I'm willing to say that degree classifications are almost arbitrary and quite meaningless.
I can also add red bricks are not god's gift to education. Many a module have I done at a redbrick, which has been poorly taught and poorly examined. So poorly examined that the final exam was a carbon copy of the problem sets.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending