The Student Room Group

Need a bit of Advice please?!?!?!?!

HI there

Im 20 years old and have got As Psychology (B) and Politics (probably a or b

I was determined to do politics at uni, but recently had a brainwave to become a doctor, I have thought about it for a while and now im pretty certain with my chose.

I reslly want to be sure because its a life long commitment, so wandering what others think. I just wanna know, what its actually like studying medicine, the pros and cons - that kind of thing. Also what being a new doctor is like.

I assume I will need a levels in chemistry and biology, and have started looking into it - Is it realistic doing a one year intensive course???

Also how to get funding, as im pretty poor.

Any advice, even just experiences that kind of thing would be cool.

Thanks

p.s. emailing would be brilliant, but you dont have to :wink: [email protected]
Reply 1
Hmm, it is very very random. Your A levels, as you will probably admit, are not the strongest, and the fact that you don't even know the exact grade for one of them is worrying. Also, your current A levels are really not related to it whatsoever.

You would need top grades in Chemistry and Biology: presuming you haven't studied them since you were 16 at GCSE, do you think you are capable of just picking them back up and getting top grades, in a year? And even if you do, you will have a very tough time convincing Unis to take a risk on you, as you haven't shown any real interest before and it seems very much like a whim.

I am not saying you shouldn't do it, but you really need to think hard about it for a while and decide you are ready to really commit to it and throw everything at it.
Reply 2
It would not be impossible for your to get into medical school but it would not be easy, I would advice that before you take any major moves you do some reading and get yourself some work experiance so you can decide whether medicine is really for you. If you do decide that it is what you want then you have a number of options. The first would be to go back to sixthform and study the A levels that you need there are a number of places where you could do this. I am not sure if you would be able to do this in a year or whether you would need two. There are access courses out there which you may be able to apply to however I am not sure if you a completely suited to this, I met someone on an interview day who had got on to one in a similar situation so it deffinately possible. Finally there is the option of a premedical year these are for people who haven't got the right A levels again I am not sure of the details I am sure that someone here knows about them in more detail and hopefully will post more details about where you can go and do this. I think the is pretty much all your options so read into them and decide which is best for you.

In terms of what it is like being a medical student it is hard work there are lots of lectures/labwork/clincal afternoons (varies depending on the type of course) and lots of learning to do outside lectures etc. However it is all worth it if it is something that you want to do. The topics covered in lectures are interesting.

In terms of funding you will be able to get a student loan from your LEA and your can also get a top up fees loan to cover your top up fees and neither has to be repaid until you a working and earning money.

Hope this helps.
Reply 3
thanks guys, i get the impression having some relevant work experience helps a lot - so I will start looking into that, aswell as start reading up on chemistry, biology. It sounds like a competitive course to get on to. I will definately consider all this. Any more advice from people would be brilliant.
Reply 4
Well, work experience would be identical to get to know with the cons of medicine(the pros are pretty much famous to everyone, prestigeous degree and honourable place in society, good and sometimes excellent salaries). Some of them are
-The loyalty that you will have to show to medicine, making this your all your life.
-The amount of years needed to get to be a doctor(although not everyone gets unhappy by that :smile:).
-The demanding profession of doctor, which involves less family/personal time.
Reply 5
how about the pre medschool course that people can do. Do you guys think this is more suitable than doing A-Level Chemistry - Biology

Latest

Trending

Trending