The Student Room Group

strange circumstances, will i get the offers?

Hi guys, in year 12 i simply picked the wrong subjects. I took up maths, chemistry, geography and economics. I achieved an A in geography, an A in economics but a U in maths and a D in chemistry. I really didnt want to stay in school for another 2 years by taking another subject. So i decided to speak to my head of year. He advised me to drop both maths and chemistry and to take up a subject of my choice (and do it all in 1 year). I agreed to this and took up government and politics and went to AS classes in school but taught myself the A2 side at home (because the classes clashed). So now im in year 13 and have fully completed my A levels and waiting for my results. However on top of the difficulty of doing a whole subject in a year my parents also split up recently and this really bought me down. I was rather depressed and i believe this might have an effect on my final results. I will most likely achieve BBB/ABB. I want to apply to LSE, Durham and St.Andrews for International Relations, however this course requires AAA. My aim is to resit one module for each subject to get me my 3 A's. I have a feeling that my 3B's will be rather high so it wouldnt be too difficult to boost them up. So my question is will these top universities even consider me? keeping in mind that i had family issues and plus i taught myself the entire A2 course for government and politics. With a strong personal statement could they give me an offer of AAA? I know that you cant really say yes or no but what are the chances? . PS i forgot to say that i will be taking a gap year this year so il be applying during it. I couldnt apply last year as i only had 2 predicted grades as i dropped maths and chemistry. sorry for the long winded message, its just that my mind is set on these unis. if i dont get an offer i might not even go to university at all. thanks a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest