The Student Room Group

GRADUATE Medicine Questions

Hi,
I study AS-levels at Sixth Form including; Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Psychology. I was originally intending to apply for Medicine but I found Chemistry extremely difficult so I'm going to drop it next year which is why I no longer qualify for Medicine.
I am thinking about a degree in preferably Biology as I still want to leave my options open for Graduate Medicine and I think doing a Lab based science is better for that. I could also apply for Psychology.
Could you guys please share your experiences of Graduate Medicine so:
Is it more difficult to get in? What degree did you do before? Which degrees do you think are suitable? Was your degree difficult? Did you apply to the same University for Graduate Medicine? How many offers did you get? What Admissions tests did you do? How do you deal with the finance since I've heard you have to pay for your second degree?
Please answer as many questions as you can.
Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CrystalS
Hi,
I study AS-levels at Sixth Form including; Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Psychology. I was originally intending to apply for Medicine but I found Chemistry extremely difficult so I'm going to drop it next year which is why I no longer qualify for Medicine.
I am thinking about a degree in preferably Biology as I still want to leave my options open for Graduate Medicine and I think doing a Lab based science is better for that. I could also apply for Psychology.
Is it more difficult to get in? What degree did you do before? Which degrees do you think are suitable? Was your degree difficult? Did you apply to the same University for Graduate Medicine? How many offers did you get? What Admissions tests did you do? How do you deal with the finance since I've heard you have to pay for your second degree?
Thank you.

Graduate entry is far more competitive than entering as an undergraduate. Plus there is also the strong possibility that 4 year graduate entry programs will have ceased or drastically changed by the time you would apply. Plus there is no guarantee there would be funding so you could have to pay for the whole degree yourself.

Your best bet is to work on getting the grades needed to apply this or next year. See what your grades are from as. See if your college can offer extra help with chemistry.

Have a look at foundation medicine programmes. Some are aimed at those without the typical a level subjects, (I.e. no sciences) although I'm not sure how you'd get on with an as in chemistry.

There is plenty of information about all this in the medicine wikis on here (I would link but I'm on my phone). Have a read about graduate entry, foundation entry etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Amyk89
Graduate entry is far more competitive than entering as an undergraduate. Plus there is also the strong possibility that 4 year graduate entry programs will have ceased or drastically changed by the time you would apply. Plus there is no guarantee there would be funding so you could have to pay for the whole degree yourself.

Your best bet is to work on getting the grades needed to apply this or next year. See what your grades are from as. See if your college can offer extra help with chemistry.

Have a look at foundation medicine programmes. Some are aimed at those without the typical a level subjects, (I.e. no sciences) although I'm not sure how you'd get on with an as in chemistry.

There is plenty of information about all this in the medicine wikis on here (I would link but I'm on my phone). Have a read about graduate entry, foundation entry etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice. Do you study Medicine
Thanks for the advice. Do you study Medicine

Not yet, I start Leicester's graduate entry programme in September.
Original post by Amyk89

Hi do you know what degree subject they will accept if i did go the post grad way into medicine?

Would they accept optometry or biochemistry?
Reply 5
Original post by Amyk89

That's cool. I know some Medics there. 2 are in their second year. 1 is my Mentor but I don't remember which year she's in, 2nd or 3rd I think. What did you study before? Did you work as a graduate? My mentor did radiology which is something to do with X-rays and she worked in a hospital for a while
Original post by Vashappeninkira
Hi do you know what degree subject they will accept if i did go the post grad way into medicine?

Would they accept optometry or biochemistry?

Leicester are stopping their graduate entry programme after this year so don't base your decision on them. Either of those degrees will likely be good enough for most if not all programmes. Plus at the moment there are a good proportion of graduate entry programmes that accept humanities degrees.

You need to pick a degree you would be happy studying for 3 years.
(edited 9 years ago)
That's cool. I know some Medics there. 2 are in their second year. 1 is my Mentor but I don't remember which year she's in, 2nd or 3rd I think. What did you study before? Did you work as a graduate? My mentor did radiology which is something to do with X-rays and she worked in a hospital for a while

I'm a nurse. I have been qualified for almost 3 years now.
Reply 8
Original post by Amyk89
Leicester are stopping their graduate entry programme after this year so don't base your decision on them. Either of those degrees will likely be good enough for most if not all programmes. Plus at the moment there are a good proportion of graduate entry programmes that accept humanities degrees.

You need to pick a degree you would be happy studying for 3 years.

Really? Do you know why they are stopping it? Do you think other universities will start doing the same? I hope this doesn't become a trend in universities! :
Really? Do you know why they are stopping it? Do you think other universities will start doing the same? I hope this doesn't become a trend in universities! :

It is likely due to the shape of training review which means GMC registration could move from end of fy1 to graduation, which means current GEM programmes wouldn't fulfil the study hour required to recognised as a medical degree.

Imperial have changed to a 5 year GEM, st george's have cut their numbers and Leicester are stopping after this year. This is why I said it is possible GEM programmes might not exist (at least not in their current form) by the time you would apply. You really need to work on getting 3As (and seriously consider sticking with chemistry) and apply as an undergraduate.
Reply 10
Original post by Amyk89
It is likely due to the shape of training review which means GMC registration could move from end of fy1 to graduation, which means current GEM programmes wouldn't fulfil the study hour required to recognised as a medical degree.

Imperial have changed to a 5 year GEM, st george's have cut their numbers and Leicester are stopping after this year. This is why I said it is possible GEM programmes might not exist (at least not in their current form) by the time you would apply. You really need to work on getting 3As (and seriously consider sticking with chemistry) and apply as an undergraduate.

Thanks for the insight. I've heard so many success stories and so many shocking truths about Medicine applicants. I thought that for A2 it would be wise to drop the subject I struggle most in which is Chemistry. I guess I'm more likely to apply to Biology now. I'll just have to see what the future has in store for me. Maybe if I am really successful in Biology I can still try Medicine I mean it's worth a shot.
As Medicine is your second degree how are you funding it? Is their any financial help available for you
Thanks for the insight. I've heard so many success stories and so many shocking truths about Medicine applicants. I thought that for A2 it would be wise to drop the subject I struggle most in which is Chemistry. I guess I'm more likely to apply to Biology now. I'll just have to see what the future has in store for me. Maybe if I am really successful in Biology I can still try Medicine I mean it's worth a shot.
As Medicine is your second degree how are you funding it? Is their any financial help available for you

As I'm doing a graduate entry programme I still get (partial) tuition fee loan and maintenance loan and from second year the nhs pays some towards the fees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

P.S: Did they focus on your A-levels or Degree when looking at your application? Which is more important? I thought the most recent qualification is the most relevant. What A-levels did you stud
P.S: Did they focus on your A-levels or Degree when looking at your application? Which is more important? I thought the most recent qualification is the most relevant. What A-levels did you stud

It depends where you apply as to how much your a levels count. But generally degree counts more. Realistically you need a 2.1
Leicester operates a point system that includes a levels and degree. I had ABBC at a level in maths, biology, chemistry and further maths and then a 1st in my degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Amyk89
As I'm doing a graduate entry programme I still get (partial) tuition fee loan and maintenance loan and from second year the nhs pays some towards the fees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh. That sounds ok. By 'graduate entry programme' you just mean entering as a graduate right? Plus did they focus on your A-levels or Degree when looking at your application? Which is more important? I thought the most recent qualification is the most relevant. What A-levels did you study? And do you mind telling me what grades you achieved?
Reply 15
Original post by Amyk89
It depends where you apply as to how much your a levels count. But generally degree counts more. Realistically you need a 2.1
Leicester operates a point system that includes a levels and degree. I had ABBC at a level in maths, biology, chemistry and further maths and then a 1st in my degree

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right. In your degree did you have exams every semester or was it exams and coursework? How did you get a 1st? I mean what did you need to get in your exams to get a 1st in the end
Oh. That sounds ok. By 'graduate entry programme' you just mean entering as a graduate right? Plus did they focus on your A-levels or Degree when looking at your application? Which is more important? I thought the most recent qualification is the most relevant. What A-levels did you study? And do you mind telling me what grades you achieved?

Right. In your degree did you have exams every semester or was it exams and coursework? How did you get a 1st? I mean what did you need to get in your exams to get a 1st in the end

Graduate entry is a 4 year accelerated version of the 5 year undergraduate degree. At the moment it is still funded unlike any graduates on the 5 year programme who have to pay all the fees themselves.

I seriously suggest you research into all this before doing another degree solely for the purpose of doing medicine. Working to get an A grade in a level chemistry is much easier than completing a degree and trying to apply as a graduate.

My degree wasn't really set up like most others because half of it was spent on placement. If I remember correctly for most degrees you need an average of 70% across second and third year for a first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Amyk89
Graduate entry is a 4 year accelerated version of the 5 year undergraduate degree. At the moment it is still funded unlike any graduates on the 5 year programme who have to pay all the fees themselves.

I seriously suggest you research into all this before doing another degree solely for the purpose of doing medicine. Working to get an A grade in a level chemistry is much easier than completing a degree and trying to apply as a graduate.

My degree wasn't really set up like most others because half of it was spent on placement. If I remember correctly for most degrees you need an average of 70% across second and third year for a first.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for all the advice. I'll see about continuing Chemistry after my AS results. If all goes well I'll apply as an undergraduate
Original post by Amyk89

Posted from TSR Mobile

hello there howya getting on love:?
Im a first year pharmacy student happy with my course but seriously considering GradMED.In ireland it is at the moment easier to get into than undergrad..so its likely atm I will apply come the time.The same goes for uk despite it being more competitive than undergrad.uk is much cheaper at present to study in however and I wonder could you give me any advice on how to improve my application?I understand I should aim/fight for a 1.1 worst case get a 2.1 but is there anythign else I should do?perhaps volunteer or something like that:?
Hi,
Thank you.

I've read the thread so far and cannot recommend enough that you apply as an undergraduate.

They are transforming the entire medical training pathway (from medical student to applying for consultancy) and it might be entirely different in 3/4 years to now.

I would keep biology and chemistry going and apply for undergrad courses.

Quick Reply

Latest