The Student Room Group

Leg day questions

Hi everyone, I was hoping for some guidance on my leg split. Currently it looks like this:
Barbell squat: 5x5
Stiff legged deadlift 12 - 10 - 8 - 6
Seated (horizontal) leg press 12 - 10 - 8
Leg extension machine 12 - 10 - 8
Seated calf raise 15 - 12 - 10 (Week one)
Standing smith machine calf raise 15 - 12 - 10 (Week two, alternating with seated)

(I also do barbell squats at the start of my back day with 12 - 10 - 8 reps)

What I'm asking is whether or not I would benefit from changing the leg extensions for barbell hack squats (my current gym also has a hack squat machine which I'm apprehensive about) and whether I should place them before the leg press and use the press to exhaust myself.

Another question is about leg pressing. The gym I go to now has a 45 degree leg press machine which is loaded with plates rather than a horizontal machine which I am used to. Would I benefit from using the 45 degree machine? I wont have access to one during term time so I'm thinking the 45 degree press could benefit me over the summer just to shock the system.

Any other opinions on my leg day split are also welcome, Thanks!
Original post by Ghandia
Hi everyone, I was hoping for some guidance on my leg split. Currently it looks like this:
Barbell squat: 5x5
Stiff legged deadlift 12 - 10 - 8 - 6
Seated (horizontal) leg press 12 - 10 - 8
Leg extension machine 12 - 10 - 8
Seated calf raise 15 - 12 - 10 (Week one)
Standing smith machine calf raise 15 - 12 - 10 (Week two, alternating with seated)

(I also do barbell squats at the start of my back day with 12 - 10 - 8 reps)

What I'm asking is whether or not I would benefit from changing the leg extensions for barbell hack squats (my current gym also has a hack squat machine which I'm apprehensive about) and whether I should place them before the leg press and use the press to exhaust myself.

Another question is about leg pressing. The gym I go to now has a 45 degree leg press machine which is loaded with plates rather than a horizontal machine which I am used to. Would I benefit from using the 45 degree machine? I wont have access to one during term time so I'm thinking the 45 degree press could benefit me over the summer just to shock the system.

Any other opinions on my leg day split are also welcome, Thanks!

It's fine. If you work hard you'll progress.

45 degree leg press is better. Do that.

Hack squat machines are safe, they may hurt your knees a bit to start with but don't worry too much as this will pass. Also, keep them really, really light.

Try this order:

Squat 5x5
Hack Squats
Leg Press
SLDL
Leg extension
Calf work
What sort of weight are you using? What's your height and weight, and how long have you been training?
Reply 3
Thanks for the responses!

In reply to SEhughes - 20 yrs old, 203lbs and 6ft 5 inches, looking for steady lean gains until October when I will be bulking more aggressively. Training for around 9 months.

All these lifts are for my final sets (going up in weight each set)

Squat 100kg x5
Stiff leg DL 120kg x6
Leg press 170kg x6 (Horizontal, seated)
Leg extension 80kg (Machine max, is still testing by my final set at 8 reps)
Seated calves - 40kg + however much the machine weighs unloaded (can't remember)
Standing smith machine raise - 90kg on one leg
If I can give one piece of advice.. Leg extension machine is dangerous, don't do it.
There's a reason a lot of people want them banned.. My torn meniscus from it also wants it banned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Use a plate loaded leg press when possible. It's one of those things where it feels heavy way before your max. So on machines most people don't push themselves all that much because it feels heavy and it seems like a lot of weight relative to your squat but leg presses should be much heavier. It varies by core strength and leg press type but to give you some sense, my squat 1RM is 130kg and I can leg press 300kg for 10 and don't bother with machines cause I can usually rep out the max weight until I get bored rather than reach failure. So use the plate loaded and keep adding more weight than you could on the machine- just use the safety stopper if there is one or engage common sense properly so not to end up stuck at the bottom.

Quick Reply

Latest