The Student Room Group

Journey to become an RAF officer

Hello! I've always planned to make a log here of my progress to achieve a long term ambition of becoming an RAF Officer. Initially I tossed and turned over which branch to apply for, Intelligence or Logistics, but have now submitted an application for Logistics Officer.

Here I shall track my application journey, fitness results and revision progress.

A little about me.

I am a 22 year old graduate, currently working full time while preparing to join the RAF. I have a family history in the armed forces, which I think has added to my enthusiasm of following suit. They haven't pushed me this way as such, but I've never really considered any alternative careers. I submitted my application at the beginning of June and am currently waiting for a date to attend a presentation.

On a leadership level, I was football captain for my University team - which came hand in hand with being on the committee. Essentially leading the team, while contributing to the management of the club. Other than this, I haven't really had to apply leadership skills in a position of responsibility elsewhere, but I enjoy leadership and the responsibilities it entails.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
On a fitness level, I consider myself reasonably fit - working on it! I play football regularly, and am running once a week - doing press ups / sit ups every now and then. I'll aim to document my progress here.

Current 2.4km run time:
Current Press ups per minute: 18
Current Sit ups per minute:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
On a revision level, I have broken up my time between two areas. First, the RAF / other organisations and second Current Affairs.

1)RAF.

-History
Formation, motto, vision.

-Airpower
Definition, application and

-Organisation
High Command
CAS
Groups, Wings, Squadrons
Stations (home and overseas)
EAW

-Equipment
Current and future.
Aircraft: specifications, role, stations (everything about them!)
Weapons

-Officer
OASC, IOT
Ranking system + Values
Leadership: what is it, what different styles are there.

-Logistics
Learn the branch inside out.
Get in contact with a current Logistics Officer.

2) THE MOD.

-Organisation

-Sec of State / Ministers of State

-CDS

-Responsibilities and strategic priorities.

3)NATO.

-Formation

-Organisation + membership

-Past, Present, Future operations

-How its role has evolved since formation

4. THE UN.

5. CURRENT AFFAIRS.

-Domestic / International

-Concerning NATO / RAF

Current affairs topics...I subscribe to the Times, the Week and the Economist. Regularly browse news channels and watch a news programme a day. Also *try* to enjoy Question Time.

EU elections. Also Cameron vs Juncker
Syria conflict
Iraq tensions resurface + ISIS
Phone Hackings
Ukraine crisis
China trade deal with UK
Boko Haram
Indian elections
Flight MH370
Prince Charles compares Putin to Hitler
Sgt Blackman
Cheeki Rafiki
Scottish Independence
India Rapes
World Cup + protests
US prisoner Swap
China / US spy row
Article on the successes of RPAS
Pistorius Trial
Abu Hamza found guilty
Op Yewtree
Thailand Martial law
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Things I need to work on regarding revision, will tick off once I have revised them.

-Wings inc. EAWs

-The RAF strategic pillars

-Aircraft + equipment (haven't started this yet)

-Stations - can name them all, and name the aircraft at them - just need to improve memory of purposes of lesser known ones, and remember a few squadron numbers to correspond with the aircraft.

-The UN - know very little about it!

-Know the process of IOT inside out.

-Speed Distance Time, getting pretty good at this now. But can always work on speed!
(edited 9 years ago)
Good luck mate. I'm joining the ranks with the hope of commissioning in a few years.
Reply 5
Original post by ryan9900
Good luck mate. I'm joining the ranks with the hope of commissioning in a few years.

Thanks! What are you hoping of joining as?
Reply 6
I shall aim to regularly update this post with all progress, daily if I can - a few times a week otherwise.

Today's revision: RAF stations. Nearly there....
Original post by Opts
Thanks! What are you hoping of joining as?

I applied for Aircraft Technician but will start off as a mechanic until I'm qualified but once I'm qualified I'll be looking to apply for a commission hopefully. Just waiting to start the training now having been through the bulk of the application/selection process!
Original post by Opts
I shall aim to regularly update this post with all progress, daily if I can - a few times a week otherwise.

Today's revision: RAF stations. Nearly there....

Opts

You need to include NATO in your revision list, who is part of NATO, what is its role, how has its role changed since its formation to now, most recent members, what does it stand for, what does the RAF contribute to NATO.

Get cracking with your fitness big time, you want to be aiming for 2.4km time of less than 10 minutes, 40+ pushups and 40+ situps, and it would be worth doing a couple of bleep tests where you want to be aiming for around level 12.

If you can hit all that before you even start IOT you'll be in a very good position, plus it shows good motivation in your interviews.

The rest of your prep looks pretty good. Make sure you have a think about why you have done everything you have in your life. Why Logistics? Why officer not junior ranks? Why this degree instead of that one? What opportunities were their at University for sport? What did you get involved in out of those opportunities?

I wrote out a timeline of my life to help keep it clear, e.g Adventure training course in 2009, Football Captain 2011-2013 etc. Makes it easier for you to remember everything you've done, include all your jobs, clubs, activities etc.

Also make sure you get to a station and visit someone, ring the unit and get it sorted. Looks good for motivation plus you can see what the job is really like and back up your reasons for choosing that role.

Good luck with your application.
Reply 9
Don't just regurgitate facts about the news/NATO/UN, have your own opinions and be able to put reason to them.
Reply 10
Original post by AlphaTango
Opts

You need to include NATO in your revision list, who is part of NATO, what is its role, how has its role changed since its formation to now, most recent members, what does it stand for, what does the RAF contribute to NATO.

Get cracking with your fitness big time, you want to be aiming for 2.4km time of less than 10 minutes, 40+ pushups and 40+ situps, and it would be worth doing a couple of bleep tests where you want to be aiming for around level 12.

If you can hit all that before you even start IOT you'll be in a very good position, plus it shows good motivation in your interviews.

The rest of your prep looks pretty good. Make sure you have a think about why you have done everything you have in your life. Why Logistics? Why officer not junior ranks? Why this degree instead of that one? What opportunities were their at University for sport? What did you get involved in out of those opportunities?

I wrote out a timeline of my life to help keep it clear, e.g Adventure training course in 2009, Football Captain 2011-2013 etc. Makes it easier for you to remember everything you've done, include all your jobs, clubs, activities etc.

Also make sure you get to a station and visit someone, ring the unit and get it sorted. Looks good for motivation plus you can see what the job is really like and back up your reasons for choosing that role.

Good luck with your application.

Firstly, thanks for your reply it's very helpful.

Regarding NATO I've studied it pretty comprehensively, I find it quite interesting even if Anders' name is a bit of a mouthful and hard to remember :wink:

(Re: Drewski, I have some good opinions on NATO and current affairs as a whole.)

Fitness is a thing I need to work on, I'm naturally pretty fit - ran the 2.4k for the first time last week in 10:06 so something to work on there. I enjoy it and the weathers nice at the moment so got no excuses!

Thanks for the tips about remembering my personal information, I'll make sure I do that - and try to extrapolate areas of leadership potential from my experiences.

Also I think I need to work on my justification for the role, I know it's what I've wanted for a long time so hopefully it will just be a case of mapping out all of the specific reasons.

Is sorting out a station visit a case of getting in contact with the AFCO, or should I email a station directly?

Thanks again.
Original post by Opts
Firstly, thanks for your reply it's very helpful.

Regarding NATO I've studied it pretty comprehensively, I find it quite interesting even if Anders' name is a bit of a mouthful and hard to remember :wink:

(Re: Drewski, I have some good opinions on NATO and current affairs as a whole.)

Fitness is a thing I need to work on, I'm naturally pretty fit - ran the 2.4k for the first time last week in 10:06 so something to work on there. I enjoy it and the weathers nice at the moment so got no excuses!

Thanks for the tips about remembering my personal information, I'll make sure I do that - and try to extrapolate areas of leadership potential from my experiences.

Also I think I need to work on my justification for the role, I know it's what I've wanted for a long time so hopefully it will just be a case of mapping out all of the specific reasons.

Is sorting out a station visit a case of getting in contact with the AFCO, or should I email a station directly?

Thanks again.

That's good, at the AFCO they like NATO its like their buzzword topic for interviews, at OASC they want that knowledge backed up with an opinion and deeper understanding of Why/How we do things rather than just regurgitating what we do.

10:06 is a great time, if you keep up the consistent training you'll be at a very good level of fitness. Anything that starts with 9 minutes is big tick in the box.

Justification for a specific role is quite difficult when you aren't 100% on what it actually involves, but seeing the role on a station and asking someone who does the job what its like and what it involves then leads you to some great answers as to why you might like to do it.

Station visit wise, it depends on the unit. Some of them on their website will have a number you can call to speak to about arranging a possible work experience visit - explain you are going through selection at the moment, others it would be worth calling the AFCO and see if they can at least get you a point of contact to ask if they can't arrange one for you.

Are you near to any stations/do you have transport available to get to one?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by AlphaTango
That's good, at the AFCO they like NATO its like their buzzword topic for interviews, at OASC they want that knowledge backed up with an opinion and deeper understanding of Why/How we do things rather than just regurgitating what we do.

10:06 is a great time, if you keep up the consistent training you'll be at a very good level of fitness. Anything that starts with 9 minutes is big tick in the box.

Justification for a specific role is quite difficult when you aren't 100% on what it actually involves, but seeing the role on a station and asking someone who does the job what its like and what it involves then leads you to some great answers as to why you might like to do it.

Station visit wise, it depends on the unit. Some of them on their website will have a number you can call to speak to about arranging a possible work experience visit - explain you are going through selection at the moment, others it would be worth calling the AFCO and see if they can at least get you a point of contact to ask if they can't arrange one for you.

Are you near to any stations/do you have transport available to get to one?

I live in Cambridgeshire, so pretty well located - seem to be at a halfway point between Ldn and East Mids. Marham isn't too far, but wouldn't mind driving to any of the Buckinghamshire of Lincolnshire stations. A tank of diesel isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things!

They also closed the Cambridge AFCO, so now have to trek to Peterborough or Norwich for face to face, nightmare.

I'm going to chat to my mum, who went to an RAF reunion and was chatting to a Sqn Ldr who said that he would be more than happy for me to contact him.

Today's agenda:
Press ups, p00 ab ripper and possibly a run.
Reply 13
Did 100 press ups today, max in a single set was 16. Pretty happy with that.
Reply 14
Yesterday I was looking at ISIS in a little more detail, trying to formulate some more opinions on the matter - and came across some interesting points of discussion. I'll just brainstorm them below...

Is Iraq more stable without Saddam Hussein?

Has Maliki and his reluctance to compromise with Iraq's Sunni population prevented progress?

Can the West now get involved with a country that is reluctant to help itself (Maliki)?

"Syria shows what happens when you don't intervene, Iraq shows what happens when you do...."

Regarding ISIS, I saw a topic of discussion...

"Is ISIS really as bigger threat as the media is portraying...."

To which, I think it is fair to assume that any group which manages to unite the UK, US, Russia and Iran against them (as well as being too radical for Al Qaeda!) as a common enemy, must be, a pretty big problem.
"Syria shows what happens when you don't intervene, Iraq shows what happens when you do...."

Don't forget you've got Libya sandwiched between them - and Ellamy was a textbook example of the kind of high-technology, (very) limited ground-based war the West would like to fight whenever possible. You could probably refine that to suggest Libya is what happens when you have a plan - or at least an end-state, whereas Iraq is what happens when you don't have a plan beyond the initial contact.
Reply 16
Original post by Terrorfex

Don't forget you've got Libya sandwiched between them - and Ellamy was a textbook example of the kind of high-technology, (very) limited ground-based war the West would like to fight whenever possible. You could probably refine that to suggest Libya is what happens when you have a plan - or at least an end-state, whereas Iraq is what happens when you don't have a plan beyond the initial contact.

I like this analogy. From my knowledge of Ellamy, the biggest factor was the 'no fly zone' enforced - and this kept tensions low?

And to expand your last point - Iraq is what happens when you act to hastily, and the troubles that ensued have made the West very reluctant to get involved in another 8 year war!

Or cynically, with the proximity of the UK general election and the US presidential election - who'd want to risk it? :colone:
Reply 17
Also been reading today about the issue surrounding Iran and US co-operation - I never realised that the Iranian Quds helped Iraqi militias to set up IED's that were used against US / UK forces in Iraq.

Original post by Opts
Also been reading today about the issue surrounding Iran and US co-operation - I never realised that the Iranian Quds helped Iraqi militias to set up IED's that were used against US / UK forces in Iraq.

Iranian weaponry was also found on the hands of the Taleban in Afghanistan. Of course, can't prove whether it was obtained with the knowledge of the Iranians or otherwise...
Reply 19
Original post by Drewski
Iranian weaponry was also found on the hands of the Taleban in Afghanistan. Of course, can't prove whether it was obtained with the knowledge of the Iranians or otherwise...

A loose connection but the principle still applies - Iran / the US / UK /Russia's common enemy in ISIS can also be seen in Hamas / Hezbollah's common Israeli enemy. Although they agree to disagree on Syria they still maintain a strategic partnership versus Israel.

Who said Shiites and Sunnis can't just get along? :beer:

Quick Reply

Latest