The Student Room Group

Universities that have an Education course

I'm currently in year 12, and (currently) I'm planning on doing a course based in teaching primary pupils, my tutor said that it would be great to go for a course that would give me a QTS.
Is there any places that you know of?

Thread title 'Universities that *has an edu...'

Oh and I live in London and I plan to stay here ._.

Right now I have my eyes set on Roehampton, Greenwich, Brunel and possibly St Mary's and King's College.

Thank you!
(edited 9 years ago)
If you go to the UCAS website there's a course search function which will let you find all of the unis that offer that course.

You'll need QTS if you want to become a teacher, but there are lots of different ways to get QTS that don't involve doing a primary education degree. Indeed, as around half of all teachers leave the profession within five years, there's an argument to say that having something else to fall back on is beneficial.

So, you could consider doing another degree subject, and then following it up with
- a PGCE - a one year university based course with time spent on placement
- Teach First - a two year work based learning programme that sees you teaching after a 6 week teaching course, and you'll finish with a PGCE.
- School Direct - fairly similar to Teach First

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
If you go to the UCAS website there's a course search function which will let you find all of the unis that offer that course.

You'll need QTS if you want to become a teacher, but there are lots of different ways to get QTS that don't involve doing a primary education degree. Indeed, as around half of all teachers leave the profession within five years, there's an argument to say that having something else to fall back on is beneficial.

So, you could consider doing another degree subject, and then following it up with
- a PGCE - a one year university based course with time spent on placement
- Teach First - a two year work based learning programme that sees you teaching after a 6 week teaching course, and you'll finish with a PGCE.
- School Direct - fairly similar to Teach First

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh thank you, someone actually told me to do that so im considering on doing it.
But lets say my life plans arent pretty straight yet, so if i were to do a degree on japanese (4 year course) and do a teach first course, would i get a QTS? Or am i being completely idiotic?

The thing is, i want to move to japan and become a teacher there or even a tutor, so idk if im making the right move right now.
Original post by gwynade
Ahhh thank you, someone actually told me to do that so im considering on doing it.
But lets say my life plans arent pretty straight yet, so if i were to do a degree on japanese (4 year course) and do a teach first course, would i get a QTS? Or am i being completely idiotic?

The thing is, i want to move to japan and become a teacher there or even a tutor, so idk if im making the right move right now.

Yep, all PGCE, Teach First and School Direct programmes will give you QTS and allow you to continue working as a teacher after the programme ends :smile:

However, it should be noted that by far your must marketable skill in Japan will be your English skills, and you would more than likely end up teaching English there. For this, you will need a TEFL qualification, but you won't need QTS, because QTS is only relevant in the UK :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
Yep, all PGCE, Teach First and School Direct programmes will give you QTS and allow you to continue working as a teacher after the programme ends :smile:

However, it should be noted that by far your must marketable skill in Japan will be your English skills, and you would more than likely end up teaching English there. For this, you will need a TEFL qualification, but you won't need QTS, because QTS is only relevant in the UK :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh right, so the QTS is only necessary if i want to stay in London.

Okay, well done a tiny bit of research, and i hope youre still willing to enlighten me, but it says that i will need to have a BA or a BS degree in order to obtain a work permit (source: itefli.com/country.html) - can that degree be a Japanese degree or legit another BA/BS degree in another field? Or do i need to have an English degree to teach/tutor in Japan? Or is the TEFL give a BA?

I seriously need to thank you because i would be 100% lost in everything ;uu;
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gwynade

Okay, well done a tiny bit of research, and i hope youre still willing to enlighten me, but it says that i will need to have a BA or a BS degree in order to obtain a work permit (source: itefli.com/country.html) - can that degree be a Japanese degree or legit another BA/BS degree in another field? Or do i need to have an English degree to teach/tutor in Japan? Or is the TEFL give a BA?

You are quite confused. To teach English in Japan, you will need a TEFL qualification, which can be done after a degree in any subject. The TEFL qualification is not a degree in itself but a shorter course. You don't need a degree in Japanese to get a work permit, merely a degree which will make you employable in Japan. If all you have is a degree in Japanese, then all you are qualified to do is speak Japanese less well than the native population and that's not something which will get you a job.
Original post by gwynade

Well, it's only relevant if you want to teach in a school in the UK (not just London!). Technically some schools will take you without QTS, but these are relatively few and far between and it's less well paid. You should bear in mind that you might not want to spend your whole life in Japan - it's the sort of thing that a lot of people do for a few months or years before returning to the UK to do something else. At that point you could choose what to do - you could work in a language school teaching English to foreigners, tutor Japanese, do a PGCE / Teach First / School Direct and teach primary / secondary school kids or go and do something completely outside of education. That's a bridge to cross when you come to it though.

When Japan asks for a BA / BSc, then unless they expressly state otherwise you can do a degree in any subject - Japanese, English, geology, international relations... It doesn't matter for visa purposes. A TEFL qualification is completely separate to your degree.

And thank you for saying thank you! I do like helping people, but it's always nice when people say thank you :love:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Change the thread title.
With grammar like that, you'd be at home in a primary school
Original post by tes1996
Change the thread title.

....but hopefully not as a teacher.
Reply 9
Original post by tes1996
Change the thread title.