The Student Room Group

primary education degree with QTS- hours of study a week for first year?

Hello everyone,

I will be starting this degree in September (fingers crossed my results don't change!) and I am intrigued to know how many hours a week I will be attending University. Also, for anyone that is currently doing the course, how many days a week are you at uni?

Thanks

:smile:
Hey, I have just finished my first year doing this at Manchester Metropolitan. Firstly it depends what uni your going to - my first year consisted of uni almost 4 full days a week and a day in school every Friday. I'd get a day off once every 2-3 weeks. So it is a lot more than your average uni course of 9 hours a week!! If you want any more info just message me :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply, Hanrahjm11. :smile: I like the sound of it being quite full on with regards to attending university. I would find it frustrating only going in a few days a week. How do you get assessed? is it through essays/ assignments/ placements? or are there also exams too?
Reply 3
I'm starting this course in September as well. My course details state that we will be assesses by coursework/teaching practice with only one exam (maths in the second year). I think it varies for each university but you should be able to find out on your university's website.
No worries! You will be assessed mainly through assignments (I think we have done 5 this year) and when you are on placement you will have two reports done (the interim report and the final report)- the grading system for these is 1- outstanding 2- good 3- requires improvement and 4- at risk. If you get at risk in the interim report then the uni gives you loads of support in order to boost you up for your final report. If you get any 4's in your final report then you will fail the course. I got a 4 at interim and i had to literally work my arse off in order to boost my grade up so just warning you it is a lot of work! And it work and i passed!
I dont think there are any exams involved as far as i know - just passing placement and assignments!
Thats what my uni assesed us on anyway! What uni's have you applied to?
Reply 6
Thanks for the replies :smile: And apologies for my late reply! I am pleased about there being no feedback of exams. I am terrible at them and much prefer assignments :smile: Glad to hear all your hard work payed off, Hanrahjm11. I take it you have finished your course now? :smile: What uni did you go to?

I have made University of Cumbria (Fusehill street- Carlisle) my firm choice and then Lancaster as my insurance choice. I only put the insurance choice down cause it was an option. I don't know why though as it is the same conditions as carlisle! lol
Nope just finished my first year going into second now. Good luck on your course!

Quick Reply

Latest