The Student Room Group

Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz

Hi there,

I was wondering if there are any students who are going to study in Graz, Austria in September? I'm a little anxious that the university offers no way to meet people in the same position as me so it would be good to go there knowing someone :smile:

Likewise, it would be good to here from previous students who attended uni in Graz to get a feel for the place since I have seen little information from past students. My uni in the UK is based in a town with hardly anything to do but I'm hoping the transition won't be too hard. I can understand most written German but I'm terrible at speaking it :frown: so hopefully that won't be too bad.

Any other info on life in Austria would be good too!

Thanks
Reply 1
Hey :smile:

I am from Austria, born and raised in Graz, so I can definitely help you a little. I am actually moving away to attend university, but my sister and many of my friends are attending Karl Franzens. I can tell you that there are LOADS of Erasmus students in Graz and the Student Union is quite active in organising activities for them , so loneliness shouldn't be too much of a problem. Graz is a small but vibrant city and there are many students, 90% of whom speak good English and are going to be interested in getting to know someone from another country.

Culturally there aren't any glaring differences between Austria and the UK, I really can't think of anything important right now. However, if you want to know anything specifically or need help feel free to contact me! :smile:
Reply 2
Hi! I studied at Karl-Franzens-University as an Erasmus student (I'm from Italy). As meekayla said, the city is small but there's always something going on, especially if you're interested in meeting up with Erasmus or international students. The Student Union organizes a lot of different activities ranging from parties to day trips. I have a couple of friends who decided to stay in Graz after our Erasmus and they properly enrolled at KF university: I think the organization of classes and lectures pretty much resembles those of British universities so it shouldn't be very different. Moreover, the vast majority of the students speak very well English. Cons: the city isn't well connected to the rest of the country, I was lucky enough to drive there but otherwise it would have been pretty difficult to get to Graz. Connections to Vienna, however, are easy - just a few hours by train.
Reply 3
Thank you so much for your replies! Happy to know that there will be lots of people in the same position as me and that the university organises lots of events to meet other people, because that's what I was concerned about the most :smile: I did a lot of research into Graz after asking that question but it's good to hear from people who have lived there!

Booked my flight at the weekend and I'm so excited now! Thanks again for reassuring me and answering my question, much appreciated :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending