The Student Room Group

Can i go to uni if i only do 3 AS and A2s

I was wondering if i can still go to uni if i do 3 AS and 3A2s as most people would have 4AS and 3A2s. I am talking about russle group universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Definitely. I wish I did 3 as so I could've got better grades.
The 4th AS is kinda pointless
3 is good:smile:
Depends on what you want to do at uni and whether the sixth form/collage you go to only offers 3 AS levels. If it doesn't, then do 4.
Original post by vee_wuvshugs
Depends on what you want to do at uni and whether the sixth form/collage you go to only offers 3 AS levels. If it doesn't, then do 4.

I want to do something chemistry or biology related. I am going onto my second year. I couldnt do 4AS because of my GCSE grade in english wasnt lower than a grade C.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by toonervoustotalk
I want to do something chemistry or biology related. I am going onto my second year. I couldnt do 4AS because of my GCSE grade in english wasnt lower than a grade C.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't understand the last part. But If you have a valid point of doing only 3 AS then your school can write a letter or something to the universities you want to go to. Also look at the requirements on uni websites and also talk to the careers adviser at your school. Email the universities as well.
Original post by vee_wuvshugs
I don't understand the last part. But If you have a valid point of doing only 3 AS then your school can write a letter or something to the universities you want to go to. Also look at the requirements on uni websites and also talk to the careers adviser at your school. Email the universities as well.

Haha! I was thinking the same, it's a bit odd if they only let you do 4 As levels if you get lower than a c, surely it should be the other way around...
Reply 7
Yes, majority of courses don't ask for an AS

The extra AS level is mainly helpful for giving you more options to drop subjects than giving you an edge for uni.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by toonervoustotalk
I was wondering if i can still go to uni if i do 3 AS and 3A2s as most people would have 4AS and 3A2s. I am talking about russle group universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My old 6th form actually encouraged people to do 4 subjects at AS.
I don't think Uni's really take AS into consideration, they focus on the full A levels.

The college I went to encouraged everyone to take 4 AS levels, just so if you didn't enjoy one you could immediately drop it and focus on the 3. Then after first year its common to drop a subject anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest