The Student Room Group

Help! Really to old to do either podiatry/ot at 45?

:eek:

I will be 45 if I decide to go ahead.Any over 40s doing these courses or other health based ones?

Retirement age no longer exists - we will have to work till we drop! May as well do something we enjoy?

I really feel too old to do this. :frown:
I think you'll find plenty of older students on heath-related courses. One of the women I knew on my Access course is about 40 and will be starting podiatry at university in September. You've still got 20+ working years ahead of you, so you may as well go for it.
I agree with the first post, on health courses you'll find a lot more mature students on it. Give it a go!
I think it's definitely worth going in your 40s; you've already made the best argument for doing so - you have a long working life ahead of you, and it's better to do something you want to do, irrespective of when you decide.

It's quite common for half the intake on some health courses to be mature students.
Reply 4
Definitely. My mum didn't qualify as a nurse until she was 44.
Reply 5
I am 42 and going to Uni in Sept to study Adult Nursing, it's never too late x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks everyone and I appreciate your views. xx
Reply 7
Hiya 45 is not old to be doing this course! I am 44years old at the moment and i think you will find that about a third of students entering podiatry are 40 plus some even 50. my cohort was 35 students at start and 15 were over 40. Hope this helps you decision!
Although I have 6 O'levels and a degree in history,all this is over 20+ years ago. The worst thing is that I can't prove it as I lost my certificates doing my divorce. But I have been doing family learning courses: I have just passed my level 1 maths in weights,measures, lengths, fractions and percentages. I am also waiting for the results of my functional maths level 1. Apparently with the introduction of the 24+ advanced loans I may try and do an access course.

Jayne x
Original post by julesw9
Hiya 45 is not old to be doing this course! I am 44years old at the moment and i think you will find that about a third of students entering podiatry are 40 plus some even 50. my cohort was 35 students at start and 15 were over 40. Hope this helps you decision!

Hi Jules,

That is so inspirational! I always thought that health courses attracted older students. What year are you in now? How are you finding it?

I think my generation was one of the last to believe in the retirement age. I remember starting my first full-time job when I left school at 17. It was the civil service and one of the first things I did with my pay was start my pension. Seems crazy now! We can't do that anymore.

Jayne x
Yes go for it !
People always retrain and change direction
Original post by gingercat1970
Although I have 6 O'levels and a degree in history,all this is over 20+ years ago. The worst thing is that I can't prove it as I lost my certificates doing my divorce. But I have been doing family learning courses: I have just passed my level 1 maths in weights,measures, lengths, fractions and percentages. I am also waiting for the results of my functional maths level 1. Apparently with the introduction of the 24+ advanced loans I may try and do an access course.

Jayne x

You may need to get proof of your O Levels from the relevant exam board when you enrol at university. It costs between £40 and £50. Your school should be able to tell you what board you sat your exams with.
Reply 12
Hiya Jayne
I am just about to enter my third year and have really enjoyed the course so far! As for you certificates you will not need them, i too could not find my o level certificates although i have my a level certificates! They do not count them as you have to have some form of study within the last 5years. I did a years access course in science and this included gcse level maths and English which the university accepted. You will need to go on the university of your choices site and they will tell you what levels they require from the access and also which courses they accept as some will accept an access in health and social care as well as science ones i think. A couple of people on my course also did certain modules from the open university! They also would like you to have some shadowing experience so I would advise you to ring around some private practices in your area or the NHS podiatrists in your area and ask if it would be possible to observe for a day or so. I hope this helps and if you have anymore questions i am happy to reply. Which University are you thinking of attending? Julia
Original post by Schadenfreude65
You may need to get proof of your O Levels from the relevant exam board when you enrol at university. It costs between £40 and £50. Your school should be able to tell you what board you sat your exams with.

Hi there,

Thanks for your tips. Unfortunately, the examination board is no longer around, neither is my school nor university! Several years ago I tried to take some post-graduate study but because I couldn't prove I had a degree I couldn't get a place! I tried the Open University to look at their degree programmes, but when I told them I had a degree but couldn't prove it they said I wouldn't get the funding. Apparently, they were happy to take my word, wish the other one did though! No I reckon I will have to start again for this! xx
Original post by Schadenfreude65

Hi there,

Thanks for your tips. Unfortunately, the examination board is no longer around, neither is my school nor university! Several years ago I tried to take some post-graduate study but because I couldn't prove I had a degree I couldn't get a place! I tried the Open University to look at their degree programmes, but when I told them I had a degree but couldn't prove it they said I wouldn't get the funding. Apparently, their were happy to take my word, wish the other one did though! No I reckon I will have to start again for this! xx
Hopefully you won't need them, though universities very often do ask to see them. The old examination boards were taken over by new ones, which still retain the records going back many decades, so your records do exist somewhere, though it may be difficult to track them down.
Hi there,

Thanks for your tips. Unfortunately, the examination board is no longer around, neither is my school nor university! Several years ago I tried to take some post-graduate study but because I couldn't prove I had a degree I couldn't get a place! I tried the Open University to look at their degree programmes, but when I told them I had a degree but couldn't prove it they said I wouldn't get the funding. Apparently, their were happy to take my word, wish the other one did though! No I reckon I will have to start again for this! xx

At least for any standard qualifications (O levels, etc) I'd suggest this as your starting point.

This is a chart of which examination board will hold your records - just check wherever you lived at the time against the list. Might take some digging but it could be helpful.
Reply 17
Hi there,

Like I said above your old ones are not needed as you need some form of relevant qualifications taken within 4/5 years of doing the new degree like an access course in health or science that includes modules in it at gcse level maths and English. Also if you plan on doing Podiatry or a few other health related degrees they are now funded by the NHS (at present anyway not sure if this will change soon) so your course fees will be paid for and you can apply for a means tested bursary to live on (so no loan to pay back at the end).

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/allied-health-professions/financial-support-for-ahp-students/

Because of this it does not matter if you have a previous degree or not, a few people on my course had degrees in other subjects some recent some old.
Reply 18
Your certainly not too old to start a career in Podiatry, I've been in the industry for over 20 years and some of best practitioners I've dealt with are the ones that bring with them valuable life experience. With the right amount of dedication and commitment you'll do just fine.
Hi, Im 46 and starting Podiatry 2014, cant wait. Spent 30 years in health and social care and have a fair few years left to work yet.

On my application I never even bothered with my school qualifications. My rationale is the fact that they are interested in recent (5 years) education and recent academic study. Also, my understanding is GCSE's are only valid for 5 years anyway, I have included qualifications for the last 10 years.

Where were you thinking of applying?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending