The Student Room Group

People Barbell squating, starting 60kg -> 100kg

Just curious, for anyone who started barbell squating around 60kg, how long did it take you to hit 100kg? how many sessions a week did you have where you squat?

I started at 60kg, maybe around January, or even December (I weigh 80kg, doing a 5x5 routine, squating 3x a week, and on a cut). I've slowly went up but for some reason plateaued at 70kg, I couldn't go higher than this. I stayed on 70kg for a long time. I've tried varying barbell arrangement, width, and making sure my technique was good, to no avail. Then, for a reason, unknown to me (I suspect it may be due to a gym staff member asking me to go quicker, as if I need to drop down and spring up), I went past 70kg. I kept going up in weight, till I hit 87.5kg (was hoping to hit a goal of 100kg before the end of April). I was going to go for more, but I had a forearm issue from weight training so I laid off for a week, and then a month more due to exams.

Been coming back to the gym, and while my strength did diminish, I managed to regain most of it, (apart from my barbell squats, which I am on 80kg right now it feels like i'm not regaining my strength, but just starting again slowly increasing my strength).

I'm curious with other peoples experiences, in terms of how long it took them to go from ~60kg to hit 100kg, and if they had any issues too?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If your cutting it's going to be more difficult, how long have you been cutting?

You can make strength gain and keep strength, but if you're on a cut for a while or eating at an extreme deficit, then you are not going to be gaining strength.

Why causes you to fail on you're squats?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by AMG44
If your cutting it's going to be more difficult, how long have you been cutting?

You can make strength gain and keep strength, but if you're on a cut for a while or eating at an extreme deficit, then you are not going to be gaining strength.

Why causes you to fail on you're squats?

Since I started trying to lose my fat (even before I started lifting) 3 years ago. Started (Bro) weights in June 2012, then finally got onto an actual routine around December/January.

With regard to what happened before I went past 70kg, it is hard to explain since I'm going by memory. Vaguely put, Issues ranged from lack of flexibility, leaning forward too much, and not having the energy to complete the sets. (Although most of the issues are not as significant now)

Not to diagnose myself, but I believe it is a lower back issue, and I'm going to see my GP about it (and my bad diet) on the 10th
(and following this till then)

I know cutting isn't ideal, but I would have thought I should at least be in the 100s by now, even with the 5 weeks off
(edited 9 years ago)
I went one - 2 plates in under 2 months when I first started. I was bulking though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it took half a year for me but I have Asian genes so probably take half the time for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber
I went one - 2 plates in under 2 months when I first started. I was bulking though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dem genetics.
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
Dem genetics.

Imagine what I could be Scoobie :cry2:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't know exactly but I started squats at 60 for triples now I'm on 100kg. Didn't take long anyway 6-8 weeks of squats every 5 days

Posted from TSR Mobile
Started on 80kg crew.
Original post by illusionz
Started on 80kg crew.

Started on 40kg, stopped and went back to it a couple months later then at 60kg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Squat 3 x a week and provided you don't have skinny calves you will be there in no time , took me a month or two to go from 60 ( and I was just being safe here tbh) to 100 .

Add on weight gradually.
Reply 11
Original post by blueskyblue
Squat 3 x a week and provided you don't have skinny calves you will be there in no time , took me a month or two to go from 60 ( and I was just being safe here tbh) to 100 .

Add on weight gradually.

Original post by ImBadWithNames
Don't know exactly but I started squats at 60 for triples now I'm on 100kg. Didn't take long anyway 6-8 weeks of squats every 5 days

Posted from TSR Mobile

you bulking?
you ever tried doing the same thing on a cut? is there really that much of a difference if you do cut (in terms of the way you FEEL, and results)?

I wouldn't say my calves are skinny (my quads are fairly big too)

Wondering if my cut is the main reason for my slow progress
(edited 9 years ago)

Add on weight gradually.

I squat 4 times a week and I have skinny calves :frown:
Reply 13

chicken skinny?
Original post by 00100101
chicken skinny?

They're pretty skinny!

I remember stumbling on your thread a few months back brah , you got aesthetics+genetics , you needn't worry bout a thing.

you bulking?
you ever tried doing the same thing on a cut? is there really that much of a difference if you do cut (in terms of the way you FEEL, and results)?

I wouldn't say my calves are skinny (my quads are fairly big too)

Wondering if my cut is the main reason for my slow progress

I'm bulking atm ( went from 72 - 81 currently , definitely alot of water weight and bodyfat though I cant see it ) and eat like a monster , I can imagine it would be hella hard doing heavy squats on a cut , would probably collapse lol gl.
Just curious, for anyone who started barbell squating around 60kg, how long did it take you to hit 100kg? how many sessions a week did you have where you squat?

I started at 60kg, maybe around January, or even December (I weigh 80kg, doing a 5x5 routine, squating 3x a week, and on a cut). I've slowly went up but for some reason plateaued at 70kg, I couldn't go higher than this. I stayed on 70kg for a long time. I've tried varying barbell arrangement, width, and making sure my technique was good, to no avail. Then, for a reason, unknown to me (I suspect it may be due to a gym staff member asking me to go quicker, as if I need to drop down and spring up), I went past 70kg. I kept going up in weight, till I hit 87.5kg (was hoping to hit a goal of 100kg before the end of April). I was going to go for more, but I had a forearm issue from weight training so I laid off for a week, and then a month more due to exams.

Been coming back to the gym, and while my strength did diminish, I managed to regain most of it, (apart from my barbell squats, which I am on 80kg right now it feels like i'm not regaining my strength, but just starting again slowly increasing my strength).

I'm curious with other peoples experiences, in terms of how long it took them to go from ~60kg to hit 100kg, and if they had any issues too?

I started on 35kg on 7th November and hit 100kg on January 22nd. Weighed around 140lb when I started. Can't remember my weight in January. I've been bulking though and following starting strength. 3 sets of 5.
Reply 17
Original post by TSA
I started on 35kg on 7th November and hit 100kg on January 22nd. Weighed around 140lb when I started. Can't remember my weight in January. I've been bulking though and following starting strength. 3 sets of 5.

I remember stumbling on your thread a few months back brah , you got aesthetics+genetics , you needn't worry bout a thing.

I'm bulking atm ( went from 72 - 81 currently , definitely alot of water weight and bodyfat though I cant see it ) and eat like a monster , I can imagine it would be hella hard doing heavy squats on a cut , would probably collapse lol gl.

It sounds like there is a huge progression difference between bulking and cutting. I thought the extra calories from bulking meant you would still have slow progress, but just not stall/plateau as often

I've never really bulked before since I started m journey to lose fat, so I wouldn't know what it's like :tongue:

I wouldn't feel so bad about my lack of progression if I had better luck with getting lean. I seem to just stay at a constant weight (83kg), and my body doesn't really change much. (I'm hoping what I'm doing is actually working and that my progress in getting lean is just a tad too small to be able to notice)
(edited 9 years ago)
It sounds like there is a huge progression difference between bulking and cutting. I thought the extra calories from bulking meant you would still have slow progress, but just not stall/plateau as often

I've never really bulked before since I started m journey to lose fat, so I wouldn't know what it's like :tongue:

Bulking is amazing. Might just be on a permanent bulk. I love the feeling of lifting more and getting stronger.

That's essentially me, whenever I go out to eat and someone comments, I thought your dieting.

Reply 19
Original post by The_Blade
I think it took half a year for me but I have Asian genes so probably take half the time for you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure how genetics will affect me here, but I'm Asian too bro

Quick Reply

Latest