The Student Room Group

How do you get your first job ?

Basically I'm 21 years old and I've never had a job. Just finished uni and now i'm looking for any jobs. I've applied to a few places online, and the same answer to my application is always "not enough experience".

So my question is what is the best way to get my first job :smile:?
Reply 1
Volunteer, get some unpaid work experience, or suck it up and get a job you can talk your way into without experience (fast food, supermarkets, some retail jobs etc.)
You can volunteer to gain experience. Also there are some places in retail where you can get a job without experience. I work in retail and even though I never had any retail experience prior to the interview, my manager was prepared to take me on and train me up. I've been there for over a year and a half now :smile: :biggrin: :redface: :redface:!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
I am in a similar position to you, at twenty, though am studying right now, been applying for any jobs I can (studying health and social care) had my first ever interviews within the space of three days (only a day's break between them) I have had success from one, (somehow) and have a cleaning trial at Whetherspoons, am absolutely thrilled, yet terrified, as so worried I will mess up (have social anxiety and Asperger's syndrome)

I hope you find somewhere, all I can say is keep applying to everywhere, if you can try do some volunteering/work experience (that's what I did :smile: even if it's for one day a week, as know that it doesn't pay the bills) on your CV use any experience you did as part of your uni course (if you did any, as not all courses do I know)

I have just signed on at the job centre (if I get this I shall be signing off again as really want to avoid going on benefits), got the meeting with the job centre advisor, really anxious :/ Good luck to you :smile:
Volunteering and getting a good CV helps. I applied for a part time casual job back in september and I'm only getting word back like a month ago for an interview!

Getting lotss of work experience helps to and even if some jobs ask for so much work (like, 6 months in retail) Apply anyway - I didn't have half the requirements and still got interviews, but make sure it's relevant (i.e, don't apply to a job for a doctor if you aren't even qualified!)

but work experience/volunteering and even small courses like first aid really help :smile:
Original post by ohhello92x
You can volunteer to gain experience. Also there are some places in retail where you can get a job without experience. I work in retail and even though I never had any retail experience prior to the interview, my manager was prepared to take me on and train me up. I've been there for over a year and a half now :smile: :biggrin: :redface: :redface:!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending