The Student Room Group

When does the TSR personal statement checker service open?

I've written a first draft of a personal statement and want it to be checked by others, but it seems the TSR personal statement service is closed and has been for a while- does anyone know when it will open?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by BP_Tranquility
I've written a first draft of a personal statement and want it to be checked by others, but it seems the TSR personal statement service is closed and has been for a while- does anyone know when it will open?

No idea, but seeing as it's only June, could be a while off :tongue:
Reply 2
It's having a remodelling, so currently we're unsure when it will reopen. The answer is never in its current form, but something should open soon. You can try playing with the personal statement builder and see if that helps.
Does anyone know of something similar to this that is also free
Original post by Aneesah_May

Tutors. Friends. Parents.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aneesah_May

When it reopens the tsr reviews will no longer be free.
Original post by PQ

Ah, the problem that is as old as the internet. How to make any money from it.

6 million different visitors a month yet the annual profit for the company would barely buy a house in Oxford.
Original post by PQ

rip free bespoke personal statement support for all

while you're at it you should use the profits to fund Israeli's airstrike campaign of the gaza strip
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Table dust

while you're at it you should use the profits to fund Israeli's airstrike campaign of the gaza strip

I'll pass that on to the people who made the decision.
Reply 9
Original post by nulli tertius
Ah, the problem that is as old as the internet. How to make any money from it.

6 million different visitors a month yet the annual profit for the company would barely buy a house in Oxford.

Seriously? Take this for instance, if they get 10 unis signed up for results day that'll be 200k.
Original post by smile:D
Seriously? Take this for instance, if they get 10 unis signed up for results day that'll be 200k.

That is revenue not profit. However that is also part of the attempt to increase revenue.
That is revenue not profit. However that is also part of the attempt to increase revenue.

Well yes, but I'd assume that their office costs aren't overly high

Judge for yourself: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.828428,-0.141057,3a,75y,198.23h,68.76t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1sdRRR_ixXcE9YWyFGv5QiBA!2e0!3e2

The movement in net worth between any two years is profit less dividends (and I suspect dividends were nil in 2013)

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/04666380/THE-STUDENT-ROOM-GROUP-LIMITED/financial-accounts
The movement in net worth between any two years is profit less dividends (and I suspect dividends were nil in 2013)

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/04666380/THE-STUDENT-ROOM-GROUP-LIMITED/financial-accounts

Point taken :lol:
Original post by Table dust

You seem to be assuming that the PS helpers are happy with the decision to start charging.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
You seem to be assuming that the PS helpers are happy with the decision to start charging.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would be annoyed to see the goodwill of volunteers being exploited if TSR was making enormous profits, but it isn't.

It relies on a very vulnerable advertising model (having failed to obtain significant subscription income). If one considers how vulnerable, Facebook (which makes about £1 profit per user per year) now receives over 60% of its revenue from a type of advertising that didn't exist in 2012. What goes up, can come down.

There was an enormous internet site called www.regiments.org which carried vast amounts of research on the history of British and Commonwealth forces all done by volunteers. Then one day it vanished.
I was going to apply to be a PS helper this year, not sure if I can now or whether they still need volunteers. It's all so confusing.:cry:

(having failed to obtain significant subscription income).

Yeah well, they've only got themselves to blame for that. :grumble:
Original post by Samual
I was going to apply to be a PS helper this year, not sure if I can now or whether they still need volunteers. It's all so confusing.:cry:

Yeah well, they've only got themselves to blame for that. :grumble:

I am not sure I agree.

Very few businesses have made consumer (as opposed to business) subscription models pay. Most newspapers and magazines haven't managed it. Most online subscribers are people who get a free online subscription with their print subscription. Genealogy content providers have generally managed to sell subscriptions because their charges have been lower than the travel costs to view original records.

Similar networks to this for the military, aviation, parents etc haven't managed to charge.

I would be more critical of their failure to attract advertising revenue.My impression is that only a tiny proportion of university advertising spend is on this site. I do not know how much for example Anglia Ruskin pays to put its branding ""Home of Anglia Ruskin University" all over Cambridge railway station but I would have thought the amount ARU pays to TSR pales into insignificance beside it.

Returnmigrant is freely posting on the postgraduate pages all postgraduate funding opportunities he can find. However universities pay the Times Higher Education Supplement and professional journals to advertise these opportunities. Why wasn't TSR persuading universities to advertise grants and studentships on this site?

Why aren't the banks competing with one another to pitch their student accounts to TSR readers. Instead they will take out large advertisements in broadsheet papers that students barely read?

All of these represent a failure to sell the value of this site to potential advertisers.
I would be more critical of their failure to attract advertising revenue.My impression is that only a tiny proportion of university advertising spend is on this site. I do not know how much for example Anglia Ruskin pays to put its branding ""Home of Anglia Ruskin University" all over Cambridge railway station but I would have thought the amount ARU pays to TSR pales into insignificance beside it.

Having seen the prices TSRG charge for advertising I'd suggest it is the opposite actually, they charge well above their competitors: http://tsrmatters.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Clearing-Media-Pack_The-Student-Room-Group-2014-Final_.pdf charging £9k for 60,000 impressions - http://www.theguardian.com/advertising/reachingstudents charges £3,500 for 100,000. You can get a full page colour ad in the official Telegraph clearing supplement for less than a few banners on TSR.

Compared to that the rail companies charge surprisingly little for those "home of" signs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending