The Student Room Group

Car shaking and then engine light coming on.

I recently had to get an engine mount fixed on my SIlver Renault Clio MK2 16v (I picked it up on Monday evening).

The next day my car began to shake a little bit but it wasn't massively noticeable.

On Wednesday evening it began shaking a lot more but not consistently.

On Thursday morning the shaking was a lot worse and was happening every single time I stopped (where i was in neutral or not).

On Thursday evening It was still shaking.
By the time I got home I felt some heat coming from the base of my gear stick and the bits of metal that the seats slide back and forth on were hot to the touch.

By now I should have stopped driving but alas on Friday I forgot about the heat problem and drove to work.
The shaking didn't occur until quite a while later and by the time I got to work the heat problem was there again.
I left work earlier than normal (intending to take it to a mechanic) and half way back my check engine light came on but the heat problem wasn't there. Due to horrendous traffic I didn't manage to get to my mechanic.

Is there something I could do to check it out myself?
Could it have anything to do with my ABS sensor?
would it be something that is going to cost an absolute bomb to fix?
In the latter case, is there any point in fixing it given the age of the car (it's 2001) and how many problems it seems to have?
Reply 1
I've just remembered something else:

The car has been stalling quite a lot - as if I haven't been putting enough gas in when I actually have been.
When I then start it back up again, either I can't seem to get up to speed properly or my speedometer just isn't working.
At one point I put my Satnav on to see what speed I thought it was doing and the Satnav told me 24mph but my speedometer was saying about 15.
(edited 9 years ago)
My personal guess would be ignition coil, perhaps. Had same problem with my Clio and cost about £120 to fix. Only one or two of the issues you mention relate to what I had, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Sounds like the engine mount wasn't done properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Yes I would take it back and explain the problem.
It might be running on three or even two cylinders.

But yeah something definitely hasn't been done right. Take it back.

Something probably hasn't been plugged back in properly.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by elldeegee

The next day my car began to shake a little bit but it wasn't massively noticeable.

Worst case scenario: Timing belt, or clutch problems.

Best case scenario: Oil needs a change, happened to my ford fiesta 2007 ghia. It started to shake alot and overheated too, I sent it to kwikfit and had the oil drained and refilled with new castrol oil.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Sounds a lot like a misfire.
Reply 8
Well you bought a Renault for starters so thats part of your problem as they're very badly engineered! I'd take it back and switch it for another car, don't know whats wrong with it but the car sounds like a bloody deathtrap, get rid of it asap
Original post by Y333EEE
Well you bought a Renault for starters so thats part of your problem

Shady.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not being funny but if my mate's 55 Laguna's anything to go by it'll be in the garage weekly for something or other
Original post by Y333EEE
Not being funny but if my mate's 55 Laguna's anything to go by it'll be in the garage weekly for something or other

Nah I agree Renaults, and French cars in general are unreliable as s***. Still shady though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest