The Student Room Group

Pharmacy Applicants 2015

I would just like to know who might be thinking of applying for pharmacy this year. I am currently in year 12 going to year 13 this september and it would be helpful if perhaps current uni students post on this thread and applicants share their experiences. Thanks all!
i am currently studying Chemistry Biology Maths and English Language with the hopes of dropping English Language for year 13.
my GCSE's were 2A*, 7A's and 2B's.
I am predicted AAAA, however at A level year 13 i hope to achieve at least 1 A* at a level.
Update: I achieved AAAB (B in english language which I'm dropping anyway!!) I have above 80% in Chemistry, Biology and Maths.

Further Update!!!! : I Have firmed Kings College London!!!

Even Further Update!!!! IVE GOT INTO KINGS! I GOT A*AA
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm not actually at uni yet but going up in september, so the application process is still fresh in my head, so yeah if you've got any general questions or ones about Notts/Birmingham/Keele/Manchester/Aston/Durham I'm happy to help :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you! i would love to know more about Nottingham uni as i have heard that it is one of the best on the country for pharmacy research! Which uni are you going to then? also, how was the interview experience and what kind of pharmacy questions did they ask you? do you mind if i know your grades? :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sarrah17
Thank you! i would love to know more about Nottingham uni as i have heard that it is one of the best on the country for pharmacy research! Which uni are you going to then? also, how was the interview experience and what kind of pharmacy questions did they ask you? do you mind if i know your grades? :colondollar:

Yeah Nottingham is amazing, that's where I'm going (hopefully!) in september, so excited! :smile: The interviews really vary between uni's, at Birmingham it was horrible and really intense, purposely trying tocatch you out, at Nottingham it was a station interview, everyone was lovely but I didn't get asked any of the common questions that I expected like why Pharmacy and why Nottingham, and Keele was really laid back. Nottingham asked quite a lot of Chemistry questions, but yeah the uni's don't expect you to know the in depths of Pharmacy. I got AAAB at AS and predicted A*AA (Bio, Chem, Physics)
Hi, I am hoping to apply for pharmacy in September. I was just wondering if the universities take your overall GCSE performance into consideration when they give people offers because a teacher of mine said that pharmacy applicants usually have A/A* grades at GCSE, whilst my grades are really average.
Also, my current a-level subjects are Maths, Chemistry, Psychology and Sociology, will i be disadvantaged if i don't do biology?
Reply 5
Original post by demetria
Yeah Nottingham is amazing, that's where I'm going (hopefully!) in september, so excited! :smile: The interviews really vary between uni's, at Birmingham it was horrible and really intense, purposely trying tocatch you out, at Nottingham it was a station interview, everyone was lovely but I didn't get asked any of the common questions that I expected like why Pharmacy and why Nottingham, and Keele was really laid back. Nottingham asked quite a lot of Chemistry questions, but yeah the uni's don't expect you to know the in depths of Pharmacy. I got AAAB at AS and predicted A*AA (Bio, Chem, Physics)

Thanks for the info! what kind of chemistry questions did they ask you? can you recall any of them? :smile:
Think it was just like what you get as a product with an acid and carbonate reaction, and how acids affect different functional groups. I did so badly at that, we'd not started looking over that kind of stuff properly and i was in the first interview session of that year so yeah I basically really messed up all the chemistry stuff, I wasn't expecting it at all to be honest but my year was the first ever year to do a station interview there for Pharmacy
Reply 7
Original post by Itsmonique
Hi, I am hoping to apply for pharmacy in September. I was just wondering if the universities take your overall GCSE performance into consideration when they give people offers because a teacher of mine said that pharmacy applicants usually have A/A* grades at GCSE, whilst my grades are really average.
Also, my current a-level subjects are Maths, Chemistry, Psychology and Sociology, will i be disadvantaged if i don't do biology?

Hi, I can't really talk for GCSE results as I did achieve all A*/As but due to several issues over last year and missing quite a bit of time from school I only achieved ACC which was incredibly disappointing. All the universities I applied to though didn't really bother about my AS results though and I got offers from everywhere I applied despite only having the prediction of ABB which was lower than 3 of the requirements of the unis I applied for. I also did not do biology. In the interviews I asked what I could do to prepare myself for the course and they mentioned they would send me an information pack after results day stating the important parts of biology I should try to get to grips with before the course starts and information on those topics so I'm familiar with the topics that will be spoken about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has any done any work experience?
How did you go about getting it? :smile:
Reply 9

With regards to your GCSE grades universities for most subjects only really look at your english and maths grade and generally if youve got minimum B in both subjects you'll be fine. But you probably will be a little disadvantaged by not doing biology but youll pick it up. ive applied to do pharmacy this year and I think I'll probably be dosadvantaged too because ive heard it contains maths whivh I havent done at a level.
What questions are asked during the interviews??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by daisychain_
Has any done any work experience?
How did you go about getting it? :smile:

I have done two community work experience placements. My best advice is to ring up local pharmacies and enquire; make sure they know you have a keen interest in doing Pharmacy at uni and you would really like to try it out - probably best to try smaller, more individual pharmacies than Boots because they do not always accept w/e placements.
Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C6H12O6
I have done two community work experience placements. My best advice is to ring up local pharmacies and enquire; make sure they know you have a keen interest in doing Pharmacy at uni and you would really like to try it out - probably best to try smaller, more individual pharmacies than Boots because they do not always accept w/e placements.
Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile: it's so hard to find because of this confidentiality issue, ah well :redface:
Hi guys, I want to study pharmacy too!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What questions are asked during the interviews??

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my interview for Brighton last year (2013), we had a group interview (5 applicants + a lecturer) and weren't asked any pharmacy-related questions - it was basically an hour of communication-based activities, e.g. discussing random topics, preparing and delivering a short 5 minute presentation to the rest of the group.
has anyone done any wider reading? :smile:
Original post by daisychain_
has anyone done any wider reading? :smile:

This is a very good website for wider reading; I look through it every week or so as a Pharmacy student: http://www.pjonline.com/.

You can register for free and get good career advice, etc.
Hi there I'm a officially a 3rd year MPharm student at Aston University, if any1 needs advice or tip etc just feel free to PM me.
Original post by thegodofgod
This is a very good website for wider reading; I look through it every week or so as a Pharmacy student: http://www.pjonline.com/.

You can register for free and get good career advice, etc.

Thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by shuaib786
Hi there I'm a officially a 3rd year MPharm student at Aston University, if any1 needs advice or tip etc just feel free to PM me.

Hello I am contemplating whether to study pharmacy, aston is one of my choices. Could you describe the course in slightly more depth please as I want to be completely if this is the correct course for me.

Much appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest