The Student Room Group

Issue with friend and money...

SO i'm planning to go to a festival with a friend, I wouldn't have wanted to go particularly if she had not said she wanted to go, but I thought it would be a nice thing to do together...

I paid £60 deposit for each of us because she saw short of money at the time and the festival organisers put on their facebook that tickets were going fast (even though they're still for sale a few months down the line) so now the tickets are both in my name and the deadline to pay off the rest of the money is Monday.

As yet the friend hasn't given me the money for the deposit or the rest of the ticket... (another £100 or so). I've messaged her a few times but she doesn't seem to be replying to let me know whether she'll get me the money by the deadline, and I really don't want to pay up with out her giving me the money because even though i'd like to trust her, a few years back I lent her and her boyfriend at the time £50 and only got back about a tenner of it... after months of asking and getting excuses I just let it go.

But at the same time I don't know if she remembers this happening, and I know she's had some issues recently with money. Also I don't want her to blame me for not getting the tickets before the deadline- and then she might not want to pay me for the deposit.

Has anyone been in a similar situation?? What should I do?
Original post by Anonymous
SO i'm planning to go to a festival with a friend, I wouldn't have wanted to go particularly if she had not said she wanted to go, but I thought it would be a nice thing to do together...

I paid £60 deposit for each of us because she saw short of money at the time and the festival organisers put on their facebook that tickets were going fast (even though they're still for sale a few months down the line) so now the tickets are both in my name and the deadline to pay off the rest of the money is Monday.

As yet the friend hasn't given me the money for the deposit or the rest of the ticket... (another £100 or so). I've messaged her a few times but she doesn't seem to be replying to let me know whether she'll get me the money by the deadline, and I really don't want to pay up with out her giving me the money because even though i'd like to trust her, a few years back I lent her and her boyfriend at the time £50 and only got back about a tenner of it... after months of asking and getting excuses I just let it go.

But at the same time I don't know if she remembers this happening, and I know she's had some issues recently with money. Also I don't want her to blame me for not getting the tickets before the deadline- and then she might not want to pay me for the deposit.

Why would someone want to go to a festival if they are short on money? not very sensible. I suggest you cancel the ticket and get your money back since
a) She is not replying
b) She still has £40 which she owes you, what makes you think she will give you back the cash so soon?

It's good to help a friend out if she needs the money, but i'm sure she can handle not going to a festival, especially since she can't afford it. However, she is your friend and i'm sure you know her well enough to decide! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by I Procrastinate
Why would someone want to go to a festival if they are short on money? not very sensible. I suggest you cancel the ticket and get your money back since
a) She is not replying
b) She still has £40 which she owes you, what makes you think she will give you back the cash so soon?

It's good to help a friend out if she needs the money, but i'm sure she can handle not going to a festival, especially since she can't afford it. However, she is your friend and i'm sure you know her well enough to decide! :smile:

The money from years ago I don't want to bring up seeing as i'm not even sure if it had anything to do with her or was all the fault of her ex...

BUT If we end up not going, because I refuse to pay the rest of the ticket without the money up front- would she be within her rights to not give me the £60 for the deposit?? I am more assertive than I was before but I don't want to lose a friend over money. I've learned my lesson not to lend others money!!
The money from years ago I don't want to bring up seeing as i'm not even sure if it had anything to do with her or was all the fault of her ex...

BUT If we end up not going, because I refuse to pay the rest of the ticket without the money up front- would she be within her rights to not give me the £60 for the deposit?? I am more assertive than I was before but I don't want to lose a friend over money. I've learned my lesson not to lend others money!!

Oh, so you can't get back all your money (the £60)? If that's the case, then i doubt she would give the money. If she is already having financial problems, i don't really think she would be willing to give £60 for nothing.
Why not try to contact her again?
Or perhaps you could see if you can sell the ticket to someone else?
:smile:
Glad to know you've learnt your lesson :tongue: There's nothing wrong with giving money to a friend in need, that was very nice of you, just make sure they know what's happening and sort out when your likely to get your money back :wink:

If she's ignoring you, in my opinion I personally would take that as her cowardly way of saying she doesn't want to go or doesn't have the money, but instead of being upfront and saying this to you, she's leaving you in the dark so that you have to approach the issue and possibly start a confrontation. So personally I think you should either message her saying if she doesn't reply saying if she's going or not, then you'll find someone else (if you can).

Money is awkward with friends but all I'd say is learn from this not to pay for things for people who you know lack money and haven't paid you back before. She probably thinks you're gonna pay for the ticket and she won't even need to give you the money.. Are you really gonna let her walk all over you?!
My friend lent me £200 for my festival ticket this year, and she got it back the second I got pain the next month. Tell this girl you want your money back. A real friend wouldn't take you for a fool like that.
Reply 6
Original post by I Procrastinate
Oh, so you can't get back all your money (the £60)? If that's the case, then i doubt she would give the money. If she is already having financial problems, i don't really think she would be willing to give £60 for nothing.
Why not try to contact her again?
Or perhaps you could see if you can sell the ticket to someone else?
:smile:
Glad to know you've learnt your lesson :tongue: There's nothing wrong with giving money to a friend in need, that was very nice of you, just make sure they know what's happening and sort out when your likely to get your money back :wink:

Original post by Chocolatesoup
If she's ignoring you, in my opinion I personally would take that as her cowardly way of saying she doesn't want to go or doesn't have the money, but instead of being upfront and saying this to you, she's leaving you in the dark so that you have to approach the issue and possibly start a confrontation. So personally I think you should either message her saying if she doesn't reply saying if she's going or not, then you'll find someone else (if you can).

Money is awkward with friends but all I'd say is learn from this not to pay for things for people who you know lack money and haven't paid you back before. She probably thinks you're gonna pay for the ticket and she won't even need to give you the money.. Are you really gonna let her walk all over you?!

Original post by Dani California
My friend lent me £200 for my festival ticket this year, and she got it back the second I got pain the next month. Tell this girl you want your money back. A real friend wouldn't take you for a fool like that.

Thanks for your responses. I did message her and in the end she coughed up the cash for the rest of the ticket so I got them. ... Will have to wait and see about the deposit though!!
Thanks for your responses. I did message her and in the end she coughed up the cash for the rest of the ticket so I got them. ... Will have to wait and see about the deposit though!!

Hope you have a good time at the festival then :biggrin:

Have fun! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending