The Student Room Group

AQA C1: How to determine points of inflection as max/min?

Do you need to know how to determine points of inflection as maximum or minimum in AQA AS Maths C1? Regardless, how do you do it?

I know that to find the nature of a stationary point in respect to maximum and minimum you find the second derivative (=0) and substitute the x value in and determine from that - but what about points of inflection? I've never really understood them from AQA Level 2 Further Maths.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by Sulfur
Do you need to know how to determine points of inflection as maximum or minimum in AQA AS Maths C1? Regardless, how do you do it?

I know that to find the nature of a stationary point in respect to maximum and minimum you find the second derivative (=0) and substitute the x value in and determine from that - but what about points of inflection? I've never really understood them from AQA Level 2 Further Maths.

Thanks in advance.

I think testing for points of inflection has now been removed from the A level syllabus on the grounds that it was just too complicated for people to understand!

Your own post shows that you're actually a bit confused about it yourself :smile:

A stationary point (where dy/dx = 0) can be a turning point (maximum or minimum) or a point of inflection. However, a point of inflection need not be a stationary point!

The Level 2 FM method of identifying points of inflection uses the method of considering the sign of the second derivative either side of a point - if there is a change of sign then you have a point of inflection. Usually this means that the second derivative is 0 but it can happen when the second derivative is discontinuous and not actually defined at the point!

You don't set the second derivative to 0 to find max and min - you set the first derivative to 0 and check the sign of the 2nd derivative.

A decent calculus book will go into more depth for you, but don't worry about points of inflection any more :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by davros
I think testing for points of inflection has now been removed from the A level syllabus on the grounds that it was just too complicated for people to understand!

Your own post shows that you're actually a bit confused about it yourself :smile:

A stationary point (where dy/dx = 0) can be a turning point (maximum or minimum) or a point of inflection. However, a point of inflection need not be a stationary point!

The Level 2 FM method of identifying points of inflection uses the method of considering the sign of the second derivative either side of a point - if there is a change of sign then you have a point of inflection. Usually this means that the second derivative is 0 but it can happen when the second derivative is discontinuous and not actually defined at the point!

You don't set the second derivative to 0 to find max and min - you set the first derivative to 0 and check the sign of the 2nd derivative.

A decent calculus book will go into more depth for you, but don't worry about points of inflection any more :smile:

Ah great! Thank you very much! I never knew about them removing points of inflections have been removed from the syllabus - that's quite a relief to be honest. And thanks for the corrections too - I think that I'll get a decent calculus book as well, seems like it'd help a tonne with reinforcement. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest